MFA & revs reading not working

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by Juswant, Nov 21, 2005.

1. Juswant New Member

Mk2 gti 8v 1992

Hi Guys & Gals

My MFA (MFI) has stopped working along with the REV dial reading, and red coolant level LED.

The failure for all three (Coolant level, MFA & REV readings)are RELATED, in that a few days ago upto the point of total failure, the LED coolant light would come on intermittently, and the REV reading would drop and the MFA goes back to the current Time reading.

So far I've checked the Vaccuum suction from the inlet manifold end, so the connection to the dash dial pod is good.

Though I believe the problem is purely a electrical one, probably a earth/grounding one, if so, where can I find it.

Any pointers, thoughts and help would be much appreciated.

Jaz
    click on "18" on the watch bezel for the VW galleries on http://www.juswant.btinternet.co.uk

2. GolfJocky Forum Member

Maybe a a bit of a long shot but do you ahve 2 connectors coming off the positive terminal on the ignition coil? I diconnected one of them and it killed the dials. Other than that can't think of anything else.. sorry.
    Edited by: GolfJocky

3. Juswant New Member

Cheers,
    I'll will re-insert the instrument cluster & steering column electric connectors to eliminate poor connection faults.

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

Check the ground cable from the rocker cover to the coil bracket, then pull the fuse for the dash/MFA for 30 seconds.

5. Jamdub New Member

I'vegot the same problem on a 1990 8v GTI.

Isthere a lead from the fuse box that powers all three?

Or, a plug at the back of the dash.

The MFA is only showing the clock (which is reset on removing the fuse)

6. Juswant New Member

Fixed it , I'd took another VDO rev counter /mfa and put it together with my existing motometer.

all works now.

Cheers for your advise & help.

Jaz