MK2 Track Car - cobra buckets and a few bits sorted

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by RIP-MK3, Mar 28, 2009.

1. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

As some might already know, me and my housemate mike (usename lizard on here) decided to go halves on a mk2 with the intention of using all the good bits from my MK3 valver...

The plan is transfer the following items straight into the mk2.

- ABF Engine/Digi ECU + Loom
    - ABF G/BOX
    - MK3 Subframe
    - Rod Change/Peddle Box
    - Rear Beam
    - 288 Brake system
    - BBS Solitude alloy's
    - Coilovers (cheapies for now)

The only bits we really need to spend on are things like poly bushes, seats. uprated roll bars and service items etc.

we have been looking for a cheap mk2, didn't want to pay money for things like full mot, low mileage or decent examples as its just the shell we wanted essentially. We spotted one local (150 miles away [:$]) that had only been on ebay for 3 hours, so we just said bolloks and pressed the buy it now button [:s]

Today we loaded the 'support vehicle' up with jump leads, tow rope and basic tools and went to bring her home. The advert said needed new front pads and had seized handbrake.

Said support vehicle

[​IMG]

plus some hi-vis for the inevitable break down!!!

[​IMG]

Got to sleaford, some three hours away at 9.30 (yes we left at 6.30am, we were excited!!!:lol:) mike drove the golf, stopped at the service station to fill up and you guessed it, battery knackered so pulled it round the back to jump start it.

[​IMG]

^^^ don't know if you can see but mike is wondering why he has to hold the revs at 6k rpm to pull away?? seized handbrake maybe?

anyway, after lots of stalling at roundabouts and me having to jump start him, we decided to tow untill the A1 were there would be less traffic and almost non stop all the way home. At the base of the a1 we stopped in an industrial park and tried pulling away in second and it was fine, so gearbox problems not handbrake.

The rest of the journey was pretty easy

[​IMG]

Got it home, and within 2 minutes we worked out what the problem was, one gear cable was off, we were trying to pull away in 3rd!!!! felt like idiots as we took tools and never even attempted to sort it as it was too cold and windy.

Got back to sunbury to asses our purchase, we paid 450.... The chassis has no rust in the structural bits and some cosmetic rust but nothing too bad. Within an hour mike had all the gears working and had fixed the bonnet catch...

[​IMG]

only area that is concerning is this, but then i have seen a lot worse

[​IMG]

The badge was missing so you could pull the catch manually. I really really hate eyebrow spoilers so I wipped the grill off, masked it up and gave it a nice tornado red line. In club gti fashion it was all done in the house (GF is away so got away with it)

[​IMG]

We then spent some time detailing, there was green residue where it had been sat. Took the rear lights out and cleaned everywhere.

[​IMG]

pretty clean [:D]

[​IMG]

Mike cleaned and I photographed him. As you can see we used the triple action vibrating toothbrush, with some penetrating fibre cloth cleaner and elbow grease.

[​IMG]

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

After cleaning it all, and realising that it is actually in pretty good shape we are really happen with the purchase. We currently have 5 cars outside our house so this conversion has to happy quickly and the mk3 scrapped [:^(]

some final pictures looking clean

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
  2. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

PS.... yes we know the plate is wonky!!! the chav plates are getting replaced for normal one's anyway

3. Lizard Forum Member

Why didn't we fix that linkage when we where out would of made my life so much easyer!!!!! lol

4. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Spraying in the kitchen?? :lol: Love it.

Should be a nice little track car!! [:D]

5. LregG

LregG Paid Member Paid Member

Looks just like mine :thumbup:

How are you going to use the rod change with the abf gearbox??

6. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

think i meant cable change from the mk3

7. LregG

will you have the cable change turret underneath or inside the car?? I'm liking the look of it inside the car

8. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

well someone said in the thread i posted about what box to use 8v mk2/16v mk3 to use the ABF box, and mount the cables on top of the transmission tunnel

then have to convert it to cable clutch via the seat thing but that means crappy clutch action.... hard to decide

9. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

It looks a realt tidy car.

Was it the GF's toothbrush?

10. LregG

:lol: :thumbup:

11. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Mount it underneath.

Looks factory, and is actually very easy to do.

12. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

^^ Im assuming if i use the 02A box, I need to use the 02A gearbox bracket? and then it will fit straight onto existing gearbox mount?

And I use cable change, I can take the whole lot from the mk3? so gear stick etc? How the it mount stu? any pics?

13. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

14. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Hydraulic clutch is easy while the engine is out. Smash **** out of the bulkhead to get it flat, 3 holes and the hydraulic pedal box. :thumbup:

15. Matt G Forum Member

like it.

fashionable in white!

16. LregG

white is in is it.....result ;)

17. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

Spent some time on the fuel filler area today. Luckily the rust is only surface, the arear around the hole is still very strong. I got as much rust back as I could, although it was hard with the rubber part of the filler neck just pushed back inside. Rust treated it, filled and painted. Not perfect but looks good enough, and managed to get the paint to blend in quite nicely with no lines from tape etc

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

also got some linseed oil and sorted the front grill and trim, worked a treat and so cheap too!!!

[​IMG]

ordering the engine crane off ebay on Tuesday so next weekend the PB engine will be out the mk2

19. nealey Forum Junkie

Its looking a lot better already! Why didnt you just whip the petrol flap off, would of been so much easier!

20. i.a.n.b Forum Junkie

I see what you mean about twins! Good job on the fuel flap.