20vT oil cooler kit

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by Playo-M3, Mar 23, 2010.

1. Playo-M3 New Member

Hiya fellas

I've been trying to source an oil cooler kit for my 20vT, but there doesn't seem to be a "kit" available. see plenty for the 8v/16v/G60's, is there any difference between these and one that will fit a 20v??

Any recommendations much appreciated!

2. Mook

Mook Forum Member

3. MK1G20VT Forum Member

I asked rally design about a kit for my 20vt engine and they were about as usefull as a chocolate tea pot, just told me they didn't do one??. I will give the other guys a go though

4. The db

The db Forum Junkie

Speed flow shop looks good.

Mook - If I opted for this kit on here:

http://www.speedflowshop.co.uk/engi...plate-with-stealth-black-hose-ends-1395-p.asp

Do you know the sizings and options required to fit to a 20vt in a mk2? Also where have you placed your oil cooler?

(As my intercooler stops me fitting a corrado vr6 rad I figure its an easier option to go for the oil cooler to run lower temps and gives me the sandwhich plate for some guage senders too.

5. Mook

Mook Forum Member

That's exactly the set-up I bought off them. Call them to order it and they'll make sure you get all the right parts. If it's not a track car, you only need the 13 row cooler (I blank off the top third of the oil cooler when I'm not on track).

Weirdly, the sandwich plate to oil filter adaptor threads you need are imperial - all VW group cars use imperial for the oil filter.

Mount the oil cooler in front of the radiator & intercooler.

6. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Think automotive make/are Mocal. They can sort you out and give club discounts too.

7. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Go to think automotive and an ask for Matt. He will look after you.

8. Playo-M3 New Member

9. Mook

Mook Forum Member

13 row will be fine.

10. Playo-M3 New Member

Thanks Mook.

I been measuring up for the kit the weekend and have realised that putting a sandwich plate in would give the oil filter near no ground clearnace! the way the enigine sits in the mk1 it's already just about tucked up beneath the front panel!

Any mk1 20vt owners here running oil coolers??

11. Mook

Mook Forum Member

What you shouldn't be doing is letting small technicalities get in the way.

Remove the water/oil cooler/heater (sits above the filter) and replace the threaded pipe and you'll gain the clearance you need.

12. Playo-M3 New Member

Good thinking Batman! Lol :thumbup:

13. Mook

Mook Forum Member

And these are the guys to get what you need from www.thinkauto.com - they're based in Twickenham - have everything on the shelf and they're helpful as well.

14. Admin Guest

could you expand on that? what do you do with the part you've removed and the pipes?

15. HidRo Forum Member

Do you really need an oil cooler on a 20vT?
    I have never seen my oil tempo (MFA) pass over 96, even in a trackday, in June last year.

16. Mook

Mook Forum Member

HidRo - yes, you need an oil cooler on a 20vT, esp on trackdays.

Jon - remove the oil/water cooler and you'll have an over-sized threaded tube for the filter to attach to. Chat to the guys at Think Automotive in Twickenham (they are Mocal) and they'll provide you with a shorter threaded tube and the necessary take off adaptor to go to the external oil cooler.

You'll be left with two water pipes which would normally connect to the oil/water cooler - cut these at the other end where they meet the metal pipes, but leave approx 40mm of rubber hose on the end. Plug each of them with a 15mm swaged copper water pipe bung (from your local plumber or B&Q etc) and use a jubilee clip.

Your alternative is to remove the pipes, cut the joins and weld a closing plate in place, but it's your call.

HTH :thumbup:

17. Admin Guest

thats excellent, i was just wondering what you did with the two pipes, they become redundant