Windscreen chip/crack

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by jmsheahan, Sep 8, 2010.

1. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Driving back from Bournemouth this morning I managed to get a massive stone hurled up from the car in front. It's put a hefty chip/crack in the screen. Is this likely to be repairable or am I looking at a new screen?

PITA due to the council not finishing the recent road repairs properly [><]:thumbd:

Any advice appreciated.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

Personally I'd change the screen, autoglass might be able to fix it but it'll still be visible from the repairs that I've seen. When they did my mum's screen you can still clearly see where the chip was, same on my car.

If you can get it done cheap then do it for the short term, if not then I think you can get a screen for about 60 quid.

3. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

I think the repair would be about 60 but if I got a new screen there's the hassle of having it fitted, new seal etc etc.

Surely tinted glass for a mk2 gti must be an **** to get hold of?

4. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

Tinted? Oh bugger. I know a local guy that can do green tint with blue top for about 130 quid but I don't think that helps you all the way in Cardiff.

Ring round some windscreen fitters, see who can stock such glass.

5. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

How far off is your MOT?

The location and size of the crack would warrant a fail...

6. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

A while off yet - good 6 months. It looks a lot worse from the inside than the outside. Is the glass even still available from VW? I'd like to see autoglass try and replace it without a new screen!

7. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Sorted I think - popped over to a windscreen repair place this afternoon - 25 to have it resin injected. Pretty much gone now, just a tiny chip that you can see but not feel. That'll do for now.

Cheers for the pointers

8. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

What company did you use mate?

9. thegave Forum Member

Worth mentioning that these things are best sorted sooner rather than later. People that did my parents car said the longer you leave it the more crap accumulates in the crack, making it harder to fix visually/"remove".

10. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

I used these guys http://www.whitehorsewindscreens.co.uk/ but I'm sure any windscreen repairers could do the same job. Literally took 5 mins. Autoglass can f*ck right off with their 70 quotes!

Pretty much exactly what the company I used said. As it only happened this morning I reckon I got away pretty lightly.

I'll post a pic of the repair tomorrow just for reference for those interested. It's not gone completely but is sure as hell a damn sight better.