My 02S build into mk2

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by jimk04, Mar 29, 2011.

1. jimk04 Forum Member

Well I did have a nice thread going on the development of my mk2 but it seems to have slipped beyond 3 pages as progress has been slow so its vanished!

Anyways - I finally got the Peloquin from the States after much deliberation about which one I needed - using an 02S with a 02A crown wheel and 02A bellhousing - we needed to make sure we got it right. I have to say that Gary Peloquin is a top guy and did all he could to help me.

I ended up altering the FD as it is the GXV coded box and therefore quite short geared. I purchased a new output shaft from VW for an 02S with a longer FD and used a crown from an 02A I had.

Here it is..

[​IMG]

in the car

[​IMG]

home brew rear mount - (Cheers Nik!)

[​IMG]

Home brew short shift (combined with TT weighted part also)

[​IMG]

FOr some reason I had an issue with the 6th selector just fouling on the end case, the guy who built the box said he has seen this before. he had started to machine away some material but I remembered I had messed about with the 02S endcase on an 02A and it fitted so I used an 02A rubber seal to gain the couple mill it required.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The only other interesting bit was mounting the cable hanger. Two holes lined up but as the bell housing is now changed there is a hole out of alignment. Also the inner mouting you can just see here on the bellhousing near the block - I have had to use the hole outboard of the inspection/timing holes. This has meant me bolting in a stud.....just hope it doesnt come loose or its a box off job just to tighten one bolt!:o ITs a nyloc with thread lock too!

[​IMG]

And here is the rear hole that doesnt line up.

[​IMG]

I have had a clutch line made so that I can keep the plastic slave and the nice quick release bayonet fitting to it!

I have set the gears up and they do feel good, Ihave my homemade bit on the shortest setting and its maybe adding a little obstruction bit will see when its on the roa

More to follow in due course

More to follow.

2. turbotommy Forum Member

Very good info! Well done,hope it works well.

3. jimk04 Forum Member

1 reply[:[]!!!

Thought it would have drummed up some interest!

4. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

It's not like ED38 where you try and up your post count. I'm sure it's noted.

Is it running?

5. G60Dub

G60Dub Forum Member

Looks good.. I remember being rather satified 'finishing' mine. Well I say finished - It could have done with a Peloquin or a wavetrack but that will need to wait till another day. Ideally I would have gone the 6 speed route but had to do it on a budget. What is it that prevents the 6 gear stack from being fitted in the 02A transmission case and then using the 02S end cap?

6. gunit-84 Forum Member

im sure ive read that all the internals can be put inside an 02a case and the the 6 speed end cap used? want to do it for my mk2 vr but not brave enough to attempt it

7. jimk04 Forum Member

Cheers guys, Russ I wasnt trying to up anyones count just thought there would have been a few more remarks!

It isnt running yet but i am sure it would have been if it not for this damn clutch problem I have (see new thread on hydraulic clutch help)!

ALso noticed that my new Bill Brock 3" TIP wont clear the 02S cables[:^(] You can maybe just make out in the last pic the ally turbo inlet and the proximity of the cables. Hard to see the perspective but the cables are actually up into the path of the TIP so I need to mod the bracket and lower the cable about 20mm.

8. jimk04 Forum Member

Well it turns out running the 0E 02S slave in a 02S box doesnt work!

There must be an incompatability with the clutch? Dunno

All I know is that I messed about changing the master cylinder, bled and rebled but it wasnt right.

I thought the last thing to try is the slave so I borrowed one. Straight away I could see that the actuator on the 02A slave is much shorter than the 02S plastic slave.

Fitted it and bled it up and it seems fine! PHEW -taken a week to fathom it out!

Only thing I need now is to have my newly made clutch line altered to an M12 fitment for the older style slave.

9. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

02S in an 02S box or 02A?

10. jimk04 Forum Member

The box came straight from an 07/08 mk5 Golf. It had the slave already in it. So both were factory 02S - box and slave.

But combine with Vr6 clutch and Corrado/mk3/passat type pedal box setup and it isnt compatible!

Wierd.

Maybe something to do with the mk5 originally having a dual mass flywheel setup?

11. numbnuts Forum Member

strange, i have the same setup in my mk1, not bled it yet so point noted. I am using a corrado vr MC and 02s slave.[:s]

12. jimk04 Forum Member

Interesting to see how you get on then mate.

Also I have an awkward foul between the 02s cables and the 3" Bill Brockbank TIP. I have taken off the rubber mountings on the cable hanging bracket and it has all squeezed in but its pushing on the silicone bend of the TIP and closing it up a tad.

Just got it fired up tonight for the first time.

WAter leak to sort out but my biggest worry is my clocks (MFA and revs) have stopped working....bugger.

13. numbnuts Forum Member

everything in my bay is so tight, i am sure i will have problems:lol:

14. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Nice project by the sounds of things. Have you got any pictures/details of the rest of the car? Or is that a seperate thread?

Gurds

15. jimk04 Forum Member

Gurds is that @ me or numbnuts?

16. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

@ you Jim. [:D]

Gurds

17. jimk04 Forum Member

18. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

I must have been asleep to miss that! Wow!

Gurds

19. jimk04 Forum Member

Right a little update after a slow month.

Water leak sorted, clocks are still hit and miss - so the clocks work - as in they CAN work, but the are intermittent.....one to sort out[:s]

Speedo wasnt working but got that sorted after refitting the cable a couple times.

I have 2 small (I hope) issues with the transmission. I seem to have a light 'rattle' (although to call it a rattle is to make it sound worse than it is) when pulling away in 1st. Doesnt always seem to happen (although I have only been down my 'private' road and back as its not taxed yet). Not sure on that one. I am aware of the reverse relay lever issue if you dont take the box apart carefully but the gearbox guy that built it assured me its not that as he is aware of that.

Second is I struggle selectin 5th. It feels like its gone in ok but when you release the clutch it graunches and pops out. I thought it maybe my home made short shift being too short but having readjusted it to a longer position - its no different. Gearbox man said to do 50miles then change the oil. maybe to a thinner one as it may be a 5th synchro thing.

Oh and my only other concern is that is seem short geared to say the least:( had no speedo or revs at the time but I was soon into 6th doing seemingly average speeds!

Time for bigger tyres! Atleast I can add a longer 6th and also 5th I guess but dont want to add a big step in the ratios.