MK2 GTI short shift how to

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Dubya, Oct 30, 2005.

1. Dubya Forum Junkie

Rather than paying stupid sums of money for a short shift I made one for myself.

[​IMG]

The part that needs modification. This is the bit that is attached to the gearbox. To remove it, disconnect the rod fixed to its top end with an R clip, and pop off the white plastic link from the bottom, then undo the 13mm nut holding it to the shaft on the gearbox.

[​IMG]

I knocked up a simple jig to line things up later on.

[​IMG]

Cut the arm just above the splined hole, and then take the upper part and bend it until the end is at the right angle (using the jig as a guide). To achieve a 50% reduction in gear lever movement, the distance between the splined hole and the top hole would need to be reduced by 50%, for 70% a 70% reduction and so on. You can choose the amount you want to reduce movement by at this stage.

[​IMG]

Now cut the part you have bent to size, checking it with the jig. Using the jig to align the parts, spot weld the join.

[​IMG]

I then took it out of the jig (to avoid setting the jig alight) and finished the weld. Next I cleaned it up to be painted.

[​IMG]

Couple of coats of Hammerite to keep it looking nice, and your done. Took less than an hour, and cost me nothing, bar a tiny amount of welding wire, gas, and a drop of Hammerite.

I fitted it today, along with new linkage bushings, and the gear change is transformed.

I needed to cut part of the weight off on the shift rod to stop it fouling on the diff housing and one of the linkage arms. I'll try and post a pic of that up tomorrow. If you don't have a weighted shift rod fitted then you won't have a problem here.