Mk1 270mm brakes

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by mr purple, Jun 11, 2006.

1. mr purple Forum Member

Mate of mine has a mk1 with 270mm brakes, anyone any ideas what the discs are off as we're having trouble matching some discs up. Are they discs from another make and model or simply turned down 280 mm discs??

Thanks in advance,
    Bob

2. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

Corrado G60 280mm turned down (or at least that that what i used) but i think some kits use a Rover disc which have a different offset ?

3. Dub Nutta Forum Member

If it's a TSR kit or something similar then it will be using Rover 825 discs which are 285x21 and are set back another 10mm in comparison to G60 versions. TSR have the discs drilled to the VW stud pattern when they are made but if you're buying some from a motor factor they will come with something like a 114.5x4PCD that won't match up atall. You will need to take them to an engineering firm who can bore the centre spigot by about 0.5mm and drill a 4x100 PCD on the discs.

Alternativly you can file the spigot and drill the holes yourself using an old disc as a template, the choice is yours.

4. mexicorich Forum Member

Rover 220 discs are what I used with my first set up. They are 4x100pcd like VW, they too are 10mm offset and are approx 266mm. You might get away with these but they also need the centre bore machining

5. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

I did have problems with my TSR 270 as I'd warped them[}:)]

ended up just taking them off and getting them skimmed, no problems since!

6. rupe Forum Member

I'm using turned down rover discs as dub nutta says, although now i've got bigger wheels I think i'll be making larger brackets to accomodate the full 285 as turning them down isn't much fun!

[​IMG]

7. mr purple Forum Member

Figured it, the TSR 270mm conversion simply uses G60 280mm brakes machined down to 270mm, its a sight cheaper to buy G60 discs and take them to a machine shop who charge about 30 to take them to 270mm.

8. yeha Forum Member

This may be a daft question, but why 270mm when a bigger setup was/is readily available? Was it created before the arrival of the G60?

9. rupe Forum Member

Are you sure? only they supply brackets just like mine in the pic and the offset's wrong with g60 discs, hence why rover disks are used.

I went 270 as they're the biggest brakes you can get under a 14" rim, that and I got bored of looking for scirocco/audi stuff for the more common 256 upgrade.

10. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

I'm not so sure the TSR kit uses G60 discs, i "think" they're specials from black diamond ([xx(]).

I use a machined down G60 disc with a home made bracket the same as in the pic but with a spacer (x2 per bracket), about an inch long and similar diameter with a flat on it so it becomes a "D" shape with a hole in the middle. I copied it off a friends kit a few years ago which i think was an Autocavan kit, works fine with standard GTi calipers.

11. mr purple Forum Member

Must be the autocavan kit then, just only knew of the TSR 270mm kit before. He took the discs to GSF and checked them against each other. Offset from the hub is exactly the same as G60 discs.

12. Hotgolf

Hotgolf Paid Member Paid Member

Definatly not G60 disks. The offset is wrong for the brackets they supply. Got to be a Rover/other item.
    There's got to be a manual online with the sizes/offsets/pcd of brake disks that are available.

13. Spooner Forum Member

I've used 256mm mk2 16v disks and vauxhall cavalier turbo calipers, the carrier bolts directly to hub of a mk1 no modification needed, then used cavalier front flexy brake hose which again connects direct to the mk1 solid brake line, the brakes have a very big piston and are made by Girling look very similar to the ones used on the mk5 gti, the brakes are very good at the MOT station on the brake rollers it kept pulling the car off them when the tester applied the brakes not bad for a total out lay of around 80 including the disks.i will take some pics tomorrow and display them if anyones intrested.

14. yeha Forum Member

Are you sure they're Cav Turbo? The turbo uses 284mm discs and the mounting position is similar if not the same as the VW.

15. Spooner Forum Member

might not be the turbo ones got them from my mates garage he breaks vauxhalls they were also fitted to the astra16v, calibra, and cav gsi. and yes they have the same mounting pattern as a mk1, the astra uses 256mm vented

16. yeha Forum Member

Those are GTE calipers. The mounting bolt is 12mm rather than 10mm. Do you have a spacer in there?

17. Spooner Forum Member

no mounted with m10 17mm headed bolts, no spacer

18. Unknown Forum Junkie

sorry for draggin up an old thread (and being slightly off topic at that) but this is quite interesting as I happen to have a set of Cav calipers and brackets and a Mk1 Golf with stock GTI calipers.
    Are you using 256mm golf disks?
    Does the clamp force of the bolt hold it OK, or do you get a clunk when braking in reverse? I'm considering redrilling the hubs for the bigger thread or, more probably, using longer bolts and sleeves.
    Also (Oddball? you there mate?) does the Calibra Turbo have the same bolt centres for the caliper bracket as the other lesser Cavs and Astras, if so it could be an alternative upgrade for the Mk1 boys... (assuming you can get calibra turbo brakes easily, must be the same as an Omega or summat surely?)

Last edited: Jul 11, 2006
  19. Unknown Forum Junkie

actually scrub the last bit about Calibra Turbo brakes as disks would need redrilling as I think they are 5 bolt...

20. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

totally random idea
    [​IMG]

mazda mx5 1.8i discs?

= 270mm and im sure they are 4x100pcd