HRP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mk3 golf ABS...help needed (again!) please

Thanks

Default Mk3 golf ABS...help needed (again!) please

Back to my good old ABS problem, woohoo!
    lastweek i had all 4 ABS sensors changed and thought the problem of the dash light being on had been solved. unfortunatley, the light didnt stay off for very long, and is as coming on intermittantly again, though, with a slightly more predicatble pattern.

The MOT was booked so, my dad said to take my chances with it, and hope the light didnt come on. Unfortunately, the MOT was today and the car failed!

So heres my questions;
    1) Should i have had the fault codes cleared on VAGCOM after changing the sensors?
    (the garage reckoned they cleared them today with a little machine, and the light disappeared, but then later on it came back on again, thus still failing. apparently it was the rear sensors on the fault code, as before, so could it be there machine is crap and it needs proper VAG diagnostics?)

2) what should i look at changing next? I'm thinking the abs ecu but hoping it won't come to that. as i said, the sensors have been done.

3) where is the ABS ecu? is it part of the main ecu, or is it with the ABS pump or summat?

Mot runs out on saturday so need it sorting asap.

Cheers guys!
    Last edited by aimee; 20th September 2006 at 18:07.

Forum Junkie
    Thanks

when does the abs light come on? Does it come on at a certain speed?
    Have the rear speed rotors been inspected or changed?

Thanks

no, light doesnt come on at certain speeds, just come on when it feels like it, which is more often than not.
    What are the speed rotors? is that what the sensors read from?

Forum Junkie
    Thanks

1. After changing the speed sensors, you need to have the fault cleared.
    2. You should have the ABS ecu read to see what fault it brings up, this will give you an indication of where to go from there.
    3. The ABS ecu is attached to the ABS pump but can be replaced seperately if required.

My TT powered MK2 with GT2871R - Must.... Have.... More.... Power....

Thanks

aimee,

Make sure the diagnostics are carried out using VAG-COM, this will give you the exact problem along with error codes. There have been cases where generic fault code readers don't fully interrogate the ABS module. What machine are they using?
    Golf MK3 16V ABF

Thanks

cheers for that guys.
    not sure what code ready they used at the garage where the mot was done, but i picked it up this afternoon, and have dropped it off at another place with the proper vag-com program. The guys there comes recommended and his gonna have a look at it in the morning and hopefully diagnose the problem.

Just wondering, does anyone know the part number(s) for the ABS unit?
    I tried reading it off mine, and all i could make out was ??? 614 217 B, not sure if thats right or not.
    Was thinking of trying to get one off ebay or from a breakers if worst comes to worst. Unless someone here has one going spare??

Forum User
    Thanks

take abs light out for mot then it will fly straight through. mine used to do exactly the same i had fault codes cleared and now its fine but if no joy do the above

Forum User
    Thanks

I have the same problem on my 97 2.0 GTI 8v - I have the brake warning light (!) and ABS light on almost all the time.

My VAG-COM reader (see below) shows 3 errors - one ABS warning and two for each rear ABS sensor. I cleaned the rear sensors with brake cleaner, reset the codes, and the light went off for a few hours but then came on again - Grrr!!!

Based on the above post I'm thinking changing the rear sensors may not help. Some one also suggested the handbrake sensor/switch, which would affect the (!) warning light but not the ABS light? I'm stumped... Any more ideas?

PS: I got the VAG Reader from eBay for £45 - it is like this and works a treat:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CAN-BUS-VAG-VW...QQcmdZViewItem

Forum Junkie
    Thanks

did you not check the fault codes prior to chaging any bits?

Forum User
    Thanks

These are the fault codes displayed on my VAG-COM reader:

1. SRS: 532 (01/01) - Transmission Control Module Relay, Supply voltage B+

2. ABS: 290 (01/02) & 287 (02/02) ABS Wheel Speed Signal Left & Right Rear

Does anyone know what 1 is, and if it is related to 2?? Any luck on yours also Aimee??

Thanks

hi did you manage to get the problem fixed?
    as i am having the same problem to....
    thanks roy

Forum Junkie
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bowster12000
    take abs light out for mot then it will fly straight through. mine used to do exactly the same i had fault codes cleared and now its fine but if no joy do the above

No disrespect, but if your MOT fella passed it with the ABS bulb missing he shouldn't be doing MOTs.

Light on - MOT fail.
    No light - MOT fail.

Ingnition on - ABS light on for a second - start car - abs light on for a second - MOT pass.

Any more than 3 times a day and you lose vital Zinc.

Forum Junkie
    Thanks

I think mk3 ABS problems are worthy of their own forum!

Forum Junkie
    Thanks

I was lucky. I just needed to change my ABSpump/ECU.

I'd be buggered if it was wiring.

Any more than 3 times a day and you lose vital Zinc.

Forum Junkie
    Thanks

I was lucky too, needed to change a rear sensor. Now the other side is in fault haha

Forum User
    Thanks

Mine is solved:

- Brake warning light was the handbrake that needed adjusting.

- ABS light was the rear sensors that needed replacing - after changing the sensors the ABS light went out but then came on after 1 week, then i reset the codes and the light has stayed off since!

Can't believe some dikwad ripped out the ABS/airbag light module - put in another one from eBay and all is good...

My GTI just turned 150k and is runnning better than ever - love it!

Forum Junkie
    Thanks

Someone did the same to mine lambo man, except they went a step further..

Not only did they break the light module.. they cut the wires and hid them behind the fusebox..

Then they cut off the handbrake sensor.. completely removed the rear ABS sensor.. then proceeded to flick out the handbrake warning light LED on the dials!!! All for the sake of a couple of rear sensors! It's cost me a fortune to get right so far but all I have left to do is solder back on the LED when I get hold of a soldering iron then replace one more rear sensor

Forum User
    Thanks

That clown probably broke the brake fluid float switch as well, Peter, seeing the picture you put up.

doug.

Thanks

that clown probably keyed me OSF door... sounds about the level of stupidityhe is capable of
    Got an M3 instead

Forum User
    Thanks

Default Golf mk3 gti abs light on after changing rear discs?

Hi, can anyone help me...

Ive changed the rear discs pads and bearing on my 96 golf mk3 gti. Ever since doing this my hand break light is stuck on with the damm abs light? whay is this?? i fully cleaned the abs rings/clips, and the stub axel aswell before all was replace with new. can any one help.

wish i never changed them now!.
    chrz

Forum User
    Thanks

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by ozdub
    Hi, can anyone help me...

Ive changed the rear discs pads and bearing on my 96 golf mk3 gti. Ever since doing this my hand break light is stuck on with the damm abs light? whay is this?? i fully cleaned the abs rings/clips, and the stub axel aswell before all was replace with new. can any one help.

wish i never changed them now!.
    chrz
    Dude, this is the last thing I changed before I sold my car. I had the ABS light come on intermittently ever since and was never able to solve it - even after replacing the speed rings... Although the speed rings did turn the handbrake light off.

I sold my GTI a few months ago and bought a 1 year old Boxster RS60 Spyder - an amazing car that in 1.5 months has been vandalised twice (£200+), had a screw stuck in the tyre (£600), and has an oil leak (will be fixed under warranty)...

God I miss my Golf... regardless of the ABS problems!!!
    1997 Mk3 GOLF GTI 2.0 8v Dragon Green - 157k miles and it just gets better!

Forum User
    Thanks

Default Handbrake/Abs lamps on simultaneously

Hello, oz

Post '95 Golf/Ventos with Abs have an electrical linkage between the handbrake warning light and the Abs warning light module, which can be used to illuminate the handbrake light in conjunction with the Abs lamp (by creating another path to earth in parallel with the fluid switch and handbrake lever switch).

There are different theories about when the linkage is used. I've always supposed that it was when a rear sensor was faulty, since the later (post '95) production cars don't have a rear brake proportioning valve fitted to the rear axle, but rely on the Abs system to prevent rear wheel lock-up. Another view is that it's used when more than one fault exists.
    Last edited by Dougie; 22nd December 2009 at 16:35. Reason: 'path to earth'; title

Forum User
    Thanks

HI, thanx for the replys, is their any simple way to fault find test to actualy see what has happened from doing hte replacement changover?

chz

Forum User
    Thanks

I remember what happened now!!!

My ABS ECU developed an intermittent fault and the VAG reader kept showing different error codes, such as FL sensor, RR sensor etc.

This was diagnosed separately by both a well respected Indy and VW Monaco in South Kensington (the best main VW dealer in the whole of Great Britain!). I never got round to changing the ECU, but if you get a VAG reader and are getting random error codes then you'll know it's your ECU playing up!

HTH.
    1997 Mk3 GOLF GTI 2.0 8v Dragon Green - 157k miles and it just gets better!

Forum User
    Thanks

Hi,

Thanx for the info! i will get it checked and confirm, I have also been told today to replace the old abs rings! as they have to be removed and re fitted to the new discs (maybe one got damaged when re fitting ie the abs warning light constantly being on!????)
    chrz

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast