Mk3 golf ABS...help needed (again!) please

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by aimee, Sep 20, 2006.

1. lamboman New Member

Dude, this is the last thing I changed before I sold my car. I had the ABS light come on intermittently ever since and was never able to solve it - even after replacing the speed rings... Although the speed rings did turn the handbrake light off.

I sold my GTI a few months ago and bought a 1 year old Boxster RS60 Spyder - an amazing car that in 1.5 months has been vandalised twice (200+), had a screw stuck in the tyre (600), and has an oil leak (will be fixed under warranty)...

God I miss my Golf... regardless of the ABS problems!!!

2. Dougie Paid Member Paid Member

Handbrake/Abs lamps on simultaneously

Hello, oz

Post '95 Golf/Ventos with Abs have an electrical linkage between the handbrake warning light and the Abs warning light module, which can be used to illuminate the handbrake light in conjunction with the Abs lamp (by creating another path to earth in parallel with the fluid switch and handbrake lever switch).

There are different theories about when the linkage is used. I've always supposed that it was when a rear sensor was faulty, since the later (post '95) production cars don't have a rear brake proportioning valve fitted to the rear axle, but rely on the Abs system to prevent rear wheel lock-up. Another view is that it's used when more than one fault exists.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2009
  3. ozdub New Member

HI, thanx for the replys, is their any simple way to fault find test to actualy see what has happened from doing hte replacement changover?

chz

4. lamboman New Member

I remember what happened now!!!

My ABS ECU developed an intermittent fault and the VAG reader kept showing different error codes, such as FL sensor, RR sensor etc.

This was diagnosed separately by both a well respected Indy and VW Monaco in South Kensington (the best main VW dealer in the whole of Great Britain!). I never got round to changing the ECU, but if you get a VAG reader and are getting random error codes then you'll know it's your ECU playing up!

HTH.

5. ozdub New Member

Hi,

Thanx for the info! i will get it checked and confirm, I have also been told today to replace the old abs rings! as they have to be removed and re fitted to the new discs (maybe one got damaged when re fitting ie the abs warning light constantly being on!????)
    chrz

6. lamboman New Member

Yes they said mine may have got damaged too. When I replaced them and cleared the error codes all was good... For about 1 week! Then I started to get the intermittent lights coming on, which turned out to be the ECU.

7. Sully114 Forum Member

I unplugged my dash warning light and it goes through mot everytime lol. My abs has been screwed for 3 years now on my gti. Strange how they dont notice im not complaining though.

8. ColinT Forum Member

As has already been said, abs light problems are a definate mot fail.

One workaround (if you can't afford a proper repair) is to remove the dash panel that houses the abs and airbag light, cut the connection to the abs bulb and solder a wire between the airbag bulb and abs bulb.

As long as your airbag light works ok both lights will work ok :thumbup: If you've removed an airbag a 2.2ohm resistor will restore the airbag light to normal.

9. Sully114 Forum Member

Yea I cant understand it either think its cos my car is 1995 though, alot of new regulations came in on cars produced after 96. I was googling around last night and aparently pre 95.5 cars can go through a mot with a decat to! as this was only required post 96. I doubt this true as I have my mot tommorow and not sure whether to take the risk.

10. Sully114 Forum Member

It failed MOT this time on abs light not being plugged in, took me two days to fix as the wires that connect to the abs sensors had been making contact with wheels and split nearly in half. Managed to splice some new wires in and went straight through the second time.

11. matts2rst New Member

hi there, im in the process of the same problem, the abs loom has been removed from my car, its a G60 engine loom, etc etc, doesm anyone know the colours of the sensor wires? i cannot find anything corresponding in my loom, as i may now remove all my abs system as i have just bought a huge brake upgrade and i might aswell chuck it all away!!