Brake Pedal height/travel adjustment on MK2 Golf

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by Nige, Jan 23, 2007.

1. mexicorich Forum Member

I see TSC is online
    Come on TSC, explain this one?

2. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

TBH I'm blind drunk and can hardly even see the pictures let alone the writing..... I'll try again tomorrow once I get to the yard===n and back. I'm not giving any advice about brakes when I am 8 times the drink0 drive limit. I'll go for a drive instead to sober up, s0me fresh air.......:lol:

3. Golden Forum Junkie

Have you ever thought the play was there for a reason!

As I V - mk1 16v says, the free play is to allow for expansion.

I do love the way VW spend thousands of Deutsche Marks on R&D using some of the best engineers in the world and people think they 'cocked it up' in the design stage.

Of course some bloke in his garage in England can do a better job..............

4. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

I dont think they cocked it up, I am simply saying I dont expect to press the brake pedal for 1" and NOTHING happen AT ALL. For the rest of the travel, it works as you`d expect. When I adjusted the rod all I did was remove the slack in the pedal > master cylinder linkage. I didnt actually adjust it so the master cylinder piston moved at all, just so that as soon as you touch the brake pedal, that movement immediately moves the piston, not after you`ve pressed it 1"...

jamesa2, there is no way I can Heel & Toe with the brake pedal as it was, now its adjusted I can and as you drive on track yourself, you`ll know how much that helps keep the car balanced.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2007
  5. mexicorich Forum Member

But Golden what is it that's expanding?
    The piston in the MC isn't moving anyfurther out because its travel is locked
    The pushrods aren't expanding by 1''
    And my memory (perhaps wrong) of servo construction is that mechanical servos have no real opportunity to expand significantly either?

So what's it all about?

6. oak8vgti Forum Member

disc's, pad backing and material will expand as they get hot, this is y adjusting the rod will cause the brakes to bind once they are hot

7. Fenn Forum Member

someone may have said this before but have you adjusted the rear brakes correctly?

8. mexicorich Forum Member

disc's, pad backing and material will expand as they get hot

They may well expand but NO

This is nothing at all to do with the adjusting rod. As the reverse travel of the piston in the MC is limited, nothing whatsoever in the hydraulics or the brakes at each corner will have any effect on the leverage mechanism outside of the MC. The piston in the MC will always revert to the end of its travel when the brakes are released, and if it weren't for the servo sitting between the pedal/rods/levers and the MC on the otherside, the rods/levers could never be affected.

Surely the only thing between the fixed dimensions of the rods and the fixed dimension of the returned MC piston is the servo, and I really can't remember anything in servo construction to suggest that the output actuator rod would start to apply outward pressure because some other part of the car gets hot?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2007
  9. oak8vgti Forum Member

no, but if you slightly adjust the rod this then it will push on the back of the piston in the
    MC raising the pressure in the brake system pushing the pads onto the discs, causing these to get hot and expand causing the brakes to bind

10. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

A friend who has a MK2 golf, similar spec to mine took it out today, first thing he said is "whats with the brake pedal??" I explained what was happening about the dead play and he said his didnt have that dead play. That confirmed my thoughts, I reckon this bar has been adjusted at some time and is not right. I`ve set it as I think and will see how it goes on the track.

11. jamesa Forum Junkie

... I`m not that adept, one pedal at a time for me [:$]

12. mexicorich Forum Member

Oak

I agree with you that there may be a problem if the rods are adjusted to take out the slack and then a little more such that they start to activate the MC in the rest position

But IV recounts having a problem whilst not anticipating that he had adjusted them that far - that I find very strange?

13. Golden Forum Junkie

Nige, I take back my earlier comment. I thought you were talking about the usual travel on the pedal before the system started doing anything.

Rookie mistake.

Have you ever seen a race car boil the fluid in a MC?

I have many a time, so you are talking about componants made from wildly different materials that have to have a working heat range from below zero in winter to maybe up to couple of hundred degrees (engine bay end). That's not even considering the heat soak from the engine bay.

Then factor in the leverage of the pedal. What appears to be half a cm travel at the pedal may equate to fractions of a mm at the push rod due to the lever length of the pedal.

14. rysskii3 New Member

sorry about bringing an old thread back. i am looking for a brake booster with the adjustment screw (like in the pictures). would anyone know exactly what car and year that it came from?
    thank you

15. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

this is standard fit on RHD mk2 golf, all models. if you want a 9" version you want cars with a 1.8 engine, automatic and diesels. the lower specs had a 7" servo