Brentacre Insurance
Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Thread: '90 2l 16v(ABF) mk2 (restoration page9, going megasquirt), mk5 ed30

Thanks

Today saw me risk the MOT.

Regards result is this......

2. The Following User Says Thank You to beetie For This Useful Post:

Thanks

He did say the front brakes are binding and there's a bolt on the rear strut that i haven't done up. But he said he will pass it and just get them sorted.

When it passed and he moved it out. The car wouldn't restart!
    After wiggling a few wires it finally restarted. Strange one but there's always teething problems.

It did feel really strange to drive. Weird almost, might be the tracking and alignment, plus the gears are hard to select. Definately not like a modern car.

CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Toyotec's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,850 Times in 1,611 Posts

6 years later!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Toyotec For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Toyotec View Post
    6 years later!
    Just under 5
    Still a long time though.

Thanks

In a few hours over the last couple of days i have:
    Sorted out the door alarm trigger. It was connected too far along the earth and was perminantly earthed. Moved it right out to the switch and it works perfect for both doors. Easy and very loud job.

Un bound the brakes, although they seem okay. Engine on and off. Could just be that they expand a little, and that they are new with not much tolerance.

Torqued up the suspension bolt. Just had to remove the rubber dampener off the rear calliper in order to get a spanner on the nut. Easy job.

Readjusted the gear linkages and it seems a bit better, but the true test will be on the road. I have the tsr metal adjustable linkages so it could be they are the wrong lengths? Soon find out on the next trip out.

Rear number plate light. Just needed plugging in, but i had to take the light out to do it. Easy job.

Coolant flashy annoying light. As said previous, bridging the plug didn't do anything so while i was sorting the alarm i got into the fusebox.
    Being a 90 spec, it's plug c wires 5 and 8. On plug c wire 1 was coming out the connector (washers) so i shoved it back in, but they work anyway.
    Then i saw that wire 8 was also coming out. I shoved it back in with a satisfying click. Could that be all?
    I grabbed the multimeter on continuity and buzzed each end of wires 5 and 8 and it made the noise on both. No breaks in those wires.
    Plugged connector c back in and gave it a go.....

No more flashy annoying light. Easy job

I also got the alarm light and keypad installed properly, rather than dangling from the dash.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beetie For This Useful Post:

Paid Member
    Thanks

Occasional flash we are having again, but coolant is topped up, so must check as above.. tks

Thanks

Well well beetie what a build. So this is what perfectionist syndrome will get you! A near flawless mk2. Don't know how I haven't seen this earlier. You replied to my thread on RR. You've given me a lot to think as well for example I was going to powder coat everything but reconsidering now. Looking forward to see what she's like once the teething problems are rid of. Awesome job.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Coakers For This Useful Post:

Thanks

As you can, or can't, see most of the thread pictures are dead thanks to the recent photobucket nonsense.

I'll eventually get round to sorting them, definately not by paying photobucket.

The car has had a couple of problems that needed sorting, but nothing too major.
    The 1st one was the clutch cable outer had collapsed, meaning that the bite was at the very bottom of the pedal when fully adjusted. Changed for another manual one and all is sorted.
    The other problem was an oil leak from the front block breather on the ABF. A new o ring was ordered and installed, I haven't been out in it since but it hopefully should have sorted it.

In other car news , I will be going to curby in it for the Clubgti day on the 28th. To see the mapping man.

Thanks

Also the new half height polished centres turned up for the BBS RS alloys. They looked much better than full height, as the proportions are much better suited

Forum User
    Thanks

looking very nice beetie love the wheels m8 going to any shows soon?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to vwjaytech For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vwjaytech View Post
    looking very nice beetie love the wheels m8 going to any shows soon?
    Once it's mapped and had a bit more of a shakedown, maybe. Although I'm not too bothered about showing it.

Yours is coming along well. Good to see the rollover jig saving more mk2's

Forum User
    Thanks

im great full thank u with out it i wont off done it as good cant be leave that photobucket site lot most of my build ill have start it again but oh well here a photo of mine Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5385.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	233.7 KB 
ID:	4325 she a lot better now

18. The Following User Says Thank You to vwjaytech For This Useful Post:

Thanks

After photobucket rubbish. Thought I'd post a recent picture of the car

Thanks

After seeing Eddie (toyotec) at curby, and him putting a better fully revving map on the car it's a lot better.
    There were some issues found that need to be fixed

First one is the front engine mount bolt coming loose. It's a solid front 'duff' made mount and it's apparently quite common for the bolt to loosen. Eddie recommends a cut down headbolt, so one of those will be sourced and installed.

The next 2 are kind of related. On mapping the car, and something I have also noticed. The car will move away slowly then with no more throttle then accelerate very quickly. I have had a whistle from the inlet/fuel rail area and Eddie found it to be the fuel rail. I have taken it off previously to check for any signs of it but everything seemed okay.
    But there is a vacuum leak.
    On moving away there's still the leak (lean), but as the revs rise, and with it manifold pressure, the leak seals and the mixture becomes richer.
    I need to seal the fuel rail with some o-rings.
    It took a bit of looking for when mapping and was a bit puzzling at first, which brings us onto the 3rd thing-an afr guage. It will keep an eye on the fuel ratio and would have helped with the mapping and diagnostics almost instantly. Eddie recommends AEM, so I bought AEM (analogue to be more in keeping to the car, it can also light up green to match the dash). I could also wire it straight to the ecu if I wanted to.

Now I have to get it all fixed or installed.

Thanks to Eddie for the mapping so far, and it was good to get along to curby and see so many Clubgti members/car enthusiasts.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to beetie For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Bad weather and having the car on axle stands means it hasn't moved since going over to curborough.

But today I managed to get on with installing the wideband gauge.

First I thought about dropping the downpipe, drilling and welding all underneath the car. I then realised that I was being stupid. So I did it properly.

I disconnected the downpipe from the manifold then slid it out of the first silencer. After removing the gear linkage bracket, undoing the rear engine mounts and lifting the engine on the trolley jack, and moving the coolant bottle out of the way. The downpipe could be pulled up and out that side of the engine bay.

I'd marked the position I needed the bung to be in, whilst the downpipe was on the car. It need to be above 10degrees and clear everything around it, such as the gear lever box.
    Now it's out I could use a step drill to get the hole put in place. It did need a bit of fettling with a Dremel.

I got as good a fit as possible to help with welding.

I cleaned up the surface of the downpipe, and an area on the end to attach the welders earth, dug out the welder and cranked it right up. The bung was definately softer, as you could see the heat melt it first before the downpipe.

All welded in and neat enough. Installed the downpipe the reversal of removal. The afr sensor just cleared the gear lever box by around 3mm. The wires went above the heatshields and in through the main grommet in the bulkhead.

Next job was to wire in the gauge. I put all the wires to the light switch, with the perminant power and switched power fused off separate 5amp fuses. Ground went to the earthing block above the fusebox.
    All was put back together for testing and the light colour of the dial was changed to green.

I do need to get a gauge pod so that it can have a perminant home.

As for the car, a few more jobs then mapping can continue.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to beetie For This Useful Post:

Forum Junkie
    Thanks

Nice job on the exhaust boss and gauge

Something I am thinking of fitting in future.

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920