'90 2l 16v(ABF) mk2 (restoration page9, going megasquirt), mk5 ed30

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by beetie, Apr 7, 2007.

1. David Number 2 Forum Member

brilliant car, bodywork holding up?

the sprayer has buggered off to thailand now :| got to find another one!

2. Mk2Luke16v Forum Member

Costing you a lot, ha, better get used to it! I've come to the conclusion there are 2 types of vw, the type that most people get which apparently costs not much, nothing goes wrong and generally is a joy to live with. Then there's the odd few sour grapes like yours and mine, popping head gaskets left right and centre and generally costing thousands to own! :lol:

Fun nevertheless tho, v nice clean car there!

3. beetie

beetie Forum Member

thats the thing the car is pretty damn spotless, it's just the mechanicals that need sorting out.

it's already a 9A 2ltr 16v and has a gearbox superbly built by Hotgolf with a 3.89FD.

gearbox was rebuilt as most can guess. it blew up (diff went) and put a few extra holes in the casing:o
    [​IMG]

4. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

looks lovely..... don't like the idea of white centered bbs though [xx(]

5. nayhorn Forum Member

my gearbox did exactly the same, not good!
    person behind me dint look too happy either

6. beetie

beetie Forum Member

today i took the front bumper off, which is stupidly easy to do. just 4 bolts and unplug the lights.
    [​IMG]

the car does look in very good condition with very little rust showing [:D]
    [​IMG]

next i decided to finally put on the new polybushed wishbones.

all went pretty easily until trying to undo the rear 19mm bolts [:x] damn they are tight.
    finally got them loose and removed the wishbones.
    old versus new
    [​IMG]

when i removed on of the rear 19mm bolts i noticed it had snapped[:^(]
    [​IMG]

however on comparing it to the other one on the passenger side, all that was missing was the pointed bit[:s] and it was the same lentgh:thumbup:
    [​IMG]

now to put on the new wishbones.

except i couldn't find the sleeves in the boot of my other car[:x]. then i spied a hole in the corner of the boot
    [​IMG]
    stupid nissan design

so after rummaging around in the rear wheel well i found these beauties.
    [​IMG]

thank *&%^ for that.

and after much swearing and bashing they were in place[:^:] .
    [​IMG]

whilst the wheels are off i decided to put these onto the calipers and give them a good clean with wd40 to hopefully eliminate the ferodo 2500 squeek.
    [​IMG]

then i tried to figure out how to get the ARB out so that i could put the eyelet back into the wishbone. but i couldn't work out how to do it, and the haynes manual was useless[xx(] .
    it then started to rain, so i think i'll leave it for another day.

atleast it meant i could find the answer to my problems on this great website(i have to drop the rear of the subframe:hug: )

a job for tomorrow, along with hopefully taking the engine out.

7. beetie

beetie Forum Member

engine is now out.
    [​IMG]

was very easy to do. just wheeled it out:p .

the crossmembers will be going off to be powdercoated.

unfortunately we did see some cracked underseal. which we scraped back to find the dreaded rot[xx(] .
    put a hole in a bit of it.[:$]
    [​IMG]
    (poor phone pic)

it should be easy enough to fix though. it's on both sides.

i've decided that the whole of the underseal will now be stripped off and redone with zinc primer, chassis black, and then 3m underseal

Last edited: Mar 30, 2008
  8. beetie

beetie Forum Member

the head is back- BEEEEEAAAAAAAUUUtiful

picked up the head from 'the man in the shed'.
    here are some before & after pics

before
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

he said on the phone that it had come out really well:clap:
    after
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 30, 2008
  9. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

Its a minter!!!

10. beetie

beetie Forum Member

bit more progress today

as the clocks went forward it gave me some time to go and do a bit more on the car.
    so with the engine out and looking sorry for itself, i started to strip it bare:o
    [​IMG]

within the hour i had stripped the block of the ancillaries, although the dipstick tube is stuck in tight[:^(]
    gearbox also removed[:D]
    [​IMG]

i kept aside some parts to send to the blasters and then to the powder coaters, whilst they're off (obviously, not the ratchet:p )
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

water was getting into the combustion chamber and as people say valvers do breath heavily. but, it's horrible looking stuff[xx(] i cleaned them all out
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

hoping to have the block completely bare at the weekend, so it can be sent off for honing and skimming

Last edited: Apr 1, 2008
  11. beetie

beetie Forum Member

got the block stripped down on saturday ready to be taken to the machine shiop today.

the crank still in the block
    [​IMG]

the block now empty and completely bare[:D]
    [​IMG]

bearings that will be replaced as they have some strange pitting on them[:s]
    [​IMG]

plus i now have a big box of bits
    [​IMG]

whilst i was focused i did the very easy job of changing the thermostat to a shiny new one
    [​IMG]

TODAY
    finally got the bare block down to chesman motorsports (cov) and had a chat to the nice owner.

got asked about the engine and after name dropping[:$](the guys who recommended them to me) got asked about further work that they could do. like knife edge and lighten and balance the bottom end and also lighten the flywheel. they are going to do something with the rods aswell

me, 'i would like it but, i think it's too expensive'
    him, ' i'll see what i can do'

basically, at the end of this conversation i ended up going back and collecting the pistons, crank, flyweel and pressure plate[:$]

my car will now have pretty much a race engine (very rev happy anyway with a fully lightened and balanced bottom end). should go well[:D]

he also said it should be done in a few days:thumbup:

12. beetie

beetie Forum Member

picked up the block, crank, rods, and pistons from chesmans the other day[:D] .

the knifed edged and balanced crank
    [​IMG]

the rods (you can see where they have been machined to make them all weigh the same- on the bottom and at the top on the side)
    [​IMG]

the block freshly skimmed flat and honed
    [​IMG]

today i went and collected the rest of the parts from vw (cheers ian), and got some graphopgen build up paste, so i'm now ready for assembly. probably next week.

i also cleaned up the engine bay with a heat gun (to remove the wax) followed by a lot of white spirits on rags.
    bits that i thought were rust, were actually dirt sticking to the wax, which was nice:p

bits of uncovered rust of which there is very little i applied some deox gel:thumbup: (great stuff). the metal will then be zinc primed and painted, ready for the engine to go back in.

i'll take some pics, when i'm next down there, of the cleaned bay and i'll show you how the deox gel has done.

i also cleaned the block and then painted it black and painted some of the brackets silver.

been told to run the engine in, by chesmans, for 2000miles at no more than 3000rpm. thats going to be torture, but if that's what they recommend then thats what i'll do.

the schedule should be.
    cheapest mineral oil. changed at 600miles for
    cheapest mineral oil, new filter changed at 1200miles for
    cheapest mineral oil, new filter upto 2000miles and then
    new filter and best oil (syntha silver) and drive it how the hell i like[:D]

don't know if it will be ready for the nurburgring on the 1st aug[:^(] especially as i've got a knee op in a couple of weeks.

13. OldDirty Forum Member

looking good mate!! 2000 miles under 3000rpm ? thats like having Pam Anderson siting next to you and not touching her erhem... twins [:D] how much was the balancing , knife edging etc if you dont mind me asking ?

14. OldDirty Forum Member

thanks mate and keep the updates comming

15. David Number 2 Forum Member

brilliant thread, got to give me another drive around showcase after the build ;)

16. beetie

beetie Forum Member

got a lot more done today including finishing the inside of the engine bay.

rusty free chassis rail. cleaned up and resprayed the inside with dynax 50(wax)
    [​IMG]

cleaned up few patches of rust on either side of the engine and resprayed it
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

after that was done and polished i replaced the wires into the same routing and put back the washer and coolant bottles, and the airbox.

on to the underside rust which turned out to be ok on the drivers side and after cleaning things up looked like this with pretty solid metal.[:D]
    [​IMG]
    unfortunately the other side does need patching, but thanks to lairy-1 i have plenty of metal to use in the form of a mk2 bonnet (cheers mate)

carried on with the engine build and got the pistons in with the new rings fitted
    heres the piston at TDC
    [​IMG]

all torqued up onto the crank and the crank caps done beforehand. oil pump on. now it seems like we're getting somewhere[8D]
    [​IMG]

got some of the ancillaries on with the brackets that i painted after they had been sandblasted
    [​IMG]

a few more bits on inc. the flywheel, clutch and pressure plate. head gasket on ready for the head.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (vw supplied me with new bolts for the pressure plate which are way too short- so that is me screwed with the hopes of getting it in the car tomorrow, plus my cruciate op is on tuesday. meaning the build will grind to a halt[:^(])

will carry on building up the cylinder head and get that on and ready. then it's just a matter of getting those bolts changed

17. beetie

beetie Forum Member

at the weekend i got a few more bits done on the engine.

finished building uo the head with the cams (taking a few attempts to get the dots lining up correctly)

got the head on and torqued up along with the belts and pulleys(all timing marks in the right place) turned the engine over by hand and it was nice and free[:D]
    [​IMG]

also got the manifold on with new studs and bolts.
    [​IMG]

ran into a problem when one of the 3 water flange bolts decided to snap in the head. will need helicoiling now[:x]

put the airbox and all the wires back along the engine rails, ready for the engine

project is now at a halt while i recover from surgery[:^(]

Last edited: Apr 24, 2008
  18. Aphex Forum Junkie

Looking good mate!

Did you go for a lightened flywheel in the end? I found it helped pick-up in 4th alot more

19. ham&cheese Forum Member

Really liking what you're doing there. Good luck with the knee op!

20. KEV

Kev Forum Member

Unreal

Are you going to do any more engine mods

Will be interesting what power she makes when completed