KO3s Turbo

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by Tspec, May 31, 2007.

1. Tspec

Tspec Forum Member

gutted i need to ask this...
    how much am i looking at for a replacement KO3s turbo charger on a mk4 golf GTI? engine code is AUM, year is 2001 (Yreg) . i know i could still a huge garret one in but i just want to know the cost of a straight replacment? any ball park figure would be useful
    thanks in advance

2. Tspec

Tspec Forum Member

bump

3. Collie Forum Junkie

new? used? Exchange?

4. Collie Forum Junkie

i have seen used for 250 or less

5. vwd40 Forum Member

300 and you'll get a nice one

6. jc.. Forum Member

sure you could do better than that.
    What is wrong with it?

7. Tspec

Tspec Forum Member

my worst fears were revealed this morning. the turbocharger is finished. i cant believe it!gutted. the car is 6 years old, i never really 'rag' it too much, is this normal?mileage is 61k. ive been quoted 950 for parts and labour from VW, is THAT normal? my car has once again ruined me. if vw were to exchange the turbo, how can i be sure they are fitting the same KO3s that was in it before? should i upgrade the turbo while i can? what a crap day..

Last edited: Jun 1, 2007
  8. Tspec

Tspec Forum Member

ok, what other turbos could i fit to my mk4? ie garret turbos etc . im shocked that i have to pay 950 for parts and labour so im trying to see if i can make a bad situation better by fitting a bigger turbo while i can. im a total noob when it comes to turbos. this i my first turbocharged car so id appreciate advice on the best course of action.for example could i put a Audi K24 Turbo - Oil/Water Cooled that was removed from a 5Cyl Audi ? i just dont know whats compatible. or stick with the KO3s? what problems would i get with a bigger turbocharger?
    sorry for all the questions folks, im a little frantic![8-}]

9. Collie Forum Junkie

If you go bigger turbo you need a remap, and prob a bigger i/c to help it along.

I would look in auto trader for refurb/exchange comps, and price it up. Are you able to swap it your self?

If you can i would spend what vw want and go for big turbo and remap if the money will stretch

10. ViCk Forum Member

Mate, you can pick up near enough new K03s turbos for 250 or less. Try ebay, ring around. Dont spend a grand + at vw !

11. Tspec

Tspec Forum Member

ive been searching ebay. i really cant face getting a 2nd hand turbo and have to worry about it packing in. if i go for a new one at least im safe. im going to try avoid vw but as it stands im proberbly going to source a new KO3s and get my local vw garage to fit it. the crap thing is however is that the car is remapped at the moment. what does this mean for me? will i loose my precious hp? ideally id get a bigger turbo, remap it and fit it all with my mate, but alas, i simply dont have the time to do this and cant keep the car of the road for long. what is the usual cause for a bust turbocharger? again, is this common for a 60k charger?
    appreciate advice folks, thanks

12. ViCk Forum Member

Seems like you've over worked the turbo, they should be allowed to cool down before you switch off. Which map have you got on your engine ? Too much boost is another factor to consider, many people have run these turbos 1bar-1.2bar for many miles and they seem to cope okay.

They are also water/oil cooled, do you change your oil etc regularly ? are you running the correct oil ? Have you had your car diagnostic checked to check for any dodgy sensors etc ?

The cost of a brand new one is ridiculous, may aswell go IHI etc.

13. bigeyd Forum Member

I haven't heard of them bailing out that early but you have to bear in mind a lot of factors could cause the demise of your turbo...just bad luck for you and I hope you sort it

14. Tspec

Tspec Forum Member

[:^(] [:^(] [:^(]
    im proberbly guilty of not letting the charger cool down everytime after a long run. my poor turbo. its not been running too much boost, i just dont think ive looked after it enough as im impatient. certainly learned my lesson. ive sourced a new KO3s for 400. will fit it on tuesday. at the moment im assuming its my fault. i think ill now go and drink until i cant feel feelings anymore. what a day. thanks for your help folks.

ps what oil would you recommend just out of interest? i dont change it that often really, just during services ect. am i a bad turbo owner?oh dear...

15. harry_the_cake Forum Junkie

There's one on uk-mkivs.net for 100. I'll fit it for ya for another 100.

EDIT : oh, you live in scotland.

16. mattschmidt69 New Member

How do you let you turbo cool down after a long or hard run? Do you just let your car idle for a bit and then shut it off, or do you shut off the car and then leave on the key or something?

17. Seraph Banned

the former-let it idle

not point letting it cool down if theres no oil being pumped round it (the turbo)

18. harry_the_cake Forum Junkie

I tend to chill out for the last few minutes of my journey. No boost etc, then just switch it off.

19. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

Are you sure the turbo's gone? Make sure you get a second opinion.

20. Tspec

Tspec Forum Member

yup. its gone poop. ive known there was something wrong with it for months. im actually glad (in a funny way) that its screwed. at least i know i wasnt going mad as ive had several people (mostly different mechanics) look at it and always coming back saying they think im imagining it. ho hum. vw are surely the only real opinion i need? thanks for the offer harry the cake, but ive got my hands on a brand new charger for 400.