Mk3 Spongy Brakes - Normal?

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by Destroyer, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Jaundice

Jaundice Forum Member

Is that with the engine running or not?

2. Destroyer Forum Member

With the engine running, i'm pretty sure the servo is fine though, it behaves as it should when testing it. I heard incorrectly adjusted drums can cause this because on the first stroke the shoe is forced against the wheel from a distance (as it is wrongly adjusted), and it takes a few seconds for it to return, and if you pump them the second time the shoe has not had time to return to its incorrect position, so the travel is less on the second stroke, as the shoe is more near to the drum, would that figure?

Anyway, I think my next call really should be renewing the rear drums and shoes before complaining too much :)

Thanks again for all your help!

Last edited: Sep 26, 2008
  3. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

If brakes get better after few pumps it means there is air in the system, i think

4. Destroyer Forum Member

Just to follow up (it annoys me when people don't post a follow up when they have took help), incase this is useful to anyone, it does seem it is the rear drums out of adjustment causing this. I did the adjustment procedure on the rear brakes today (pull the handbrake up, apply the brakes, about 10 times, so on). Then quickly took the car for a spin, the brakes felt really sharp, I was impressed! However they eventually returned sloppy again in a minute or so. The drums may have never been done on the car, making them 14 years old, so it would figure if the springs are worn.. I think, from what i have read ;)

Thanks for all your help :)