The difficult third project...

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by PAB, Aug 5, 2009.

Tags:
  1. PAB

PAB CGTI Regional Host

Well I'm sorry to say thet the bare shell was not damaged at all, (the Cat D write off was due probably to the bonnet, wings, slam panel, headlights, bumper, and front crash structure being uneconomic when you add in Paint & Labour at the dealers/repair shop) but today I finished removing all the little brakets I need from the shell, seat mounts front and rear, engine bay brakets etc. so now the shell is only fit for the crusher.

Sat waiting to go...
    [​IMG]

It took so long drilling out two spot welds with the correct special bits that I'd still be at it!!! So I took to it with the mighty grinder. Now I can take my time with all the bits I wanted to save and dress them up properly for the Mk2 shell.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More later, thanks for the interest as this one is gonna take some getting through :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2018
  2. Vento Mike Forum Junkie

Bloody hell that shell must be worth something! Hmmm do I want to race a leon?!!

Great progress.

3. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Awesome progress.

And fitting airbags to the Mk2 :o

Should be an interesting one!

Assume the roof and other grinder trimmings are eBay fodder?

4. PAB

PAB CGTI Regional Host

Mmm airbags!! The module fitting should be simples LOL! Bolts down to the Transmission tunnel, using the Leon full loom so should just plug & play. Only question mark is over fitting airbags to a car that wasn't designed with them in mind.

The shell and cuttings are destined for the scrap man as I'm desperate for the space, Have four good doors with electric windows and front door mirrors (No wiring or door handles) and the complete tailgate (No wiring) up for grabs if any one knows anyone who wants them... PM me to discuss price and collection. They will be scrapped by friday if nobody wants them.

5. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Pop them on Seat Cupra Net if not already?

6. PAB

PAB CGTI Regional Host

Just an un-exciting update tonight, spent all evening stripping the doors and tailgate of the remaining wiring loom and switches that might come in handy. The shell has gone so i have my drive way back.

This week is mainly gonna see me stripping the front subfame and rear beam from both the Leon and Mk3 16v doner I'd already broken up a couple of weeks ago. Prep of all the bits is going to be the key to making this project work.

More later.
    PAB

7. PAB

PAB CGTI Regional Host

Spent last night stripping the Leon rear beam in the antcipation of using the rear stub axles and disc set-up, but the bolt pattern is totally different to the MK2/3 rear beam, so I'll be using a Mk2 rear beam, Mk3 stub axles (ABS holes) spaced out for wide track and Mk3 rear discs with Mk4 calipers. Well thats one thing planned and sorted.

The front will be Mk3 16v sub frame, wishbones, hubs & power steering, with the Leon 312mm brake set-up. Both front and rear will have Eibach ARBs... made up kit, Mk2 rear bar & Mk3 16v front bar..... thats another thing sorted.

Using Seat 5 spoke 16" alloys with a 42ET so the front should be ok with the wider wishbones, but I think I'll need to use some rear spacers or pack the stubs out more than the usual 10mm i've done on other projects.

8. jettadan Forum Member

I like how you're planning it all out bit by bit, makes sense and probably saves lots of time and hassle.:thumbup:

I need to do the same for the Jet over winter, otherwise it'll end up off the road for ages again [:$]

9. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

I shall watch this with interest !

10. PAB

PAB CGTI Regional Host

Does any one have a magic potion to separate spot welds??

Spent the last three hours cutting and gringing off most of the brakets i've cut off the Leon shell... hateful task... I'm only about halfway through them all. Need them to be clean and tidy to weld in to Golf to make the interior bits fit and some stuff in the engine bay work as I'm planning to make it look as OE as possible. Sorry for the lack of photos, left my data cable in the office.

Dan, thanks for the your comments on planning, my next headache will be space when I start to strip Tornado down... The garage is pretty full, the cellar is also getting full and i've got the Leon interior in my bedroom!! Got my Jetta to service too before we go to Curby... busy times see you there.

Nige are you going to Curby? be good to meet you.

11. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Could you get some backplate to backplate dimensions for this pls? :)

12. PAB

PAB CGTI Regional Host

Will do Chris...

Done more gringing tonight, have photos sorted now so here goes....

First up is the difference in the rear stub axles, on the left is a Mk2/3 rear stub and on the right a Leon/Mk4 stub axle. The bolt pattern is totally different.
    [​IMG]

Note the caliper slider bolts direct to the beam and not the stub axle on the Leon/Mk4 rear beam...
    [​IMG]

My pile of bits to grind up.
    [​IMG]

Some done
    [​IMG]

Seat runner before
    [​IMG]

After
    [​IMG]

Seat floor mount for the Leon front seats
    [​IMG]

Well tomorrow should see the end of the grinding, then it should be onto more interesting stuff.

13. PAB

PAB CGTI Regional Host

Not much to report today, had to work till three. That left me just enough time to nip to Oldham to fetch these bad boys.....

Mk5 GTI Seats in Interlagos trim..... gonna work so well with Tornado red.
    [​IMG]

The seat mounting is gonna be so much easier to fabricate as they fit to a flat surface.... don't need half the brackets i've saved off the Leon.... Anyone need a Leon interior??

14. micky1 Forum Member

This is the why to source all the parts ASAP.

Great to get the mod cons in but unsure on airbags

15. PAB

PAB CGTI Regional Host

Had a bit of a quiet day for thid project as i've been working on my best mate's ABF engine conversion.

I collected the Mk3 rear beam and Mk3 front subframe from storage this morning. I plan to strip these over the coming week, the rear beam set up is gonna supply the rear stub axles and ABS kit, will use new Mk3 rear discs for the 5 stud option. The front sub frame set up will supply the wishbones, hubs, ABS kit, steering rack & track rods and the subframe itself.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. PAB

PAB CGTI Regional Host

Stripped most of the Mk3 front subframe tonight, one of the front bolts in the wishbone was rusted to the inner sleve of the wishbone bush so i'll need to get the old bearing puller on it tomorrow as the bolt is undone but will not pull out. Is it just me or do all Mk3s have really rusty fixings? Every one i've worked on always fights you!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got the deep joy of beating off the rear wheel locking bolts tomorrow night [:s]

17. PAB

PAB CGTI Regional Host

The project is on the back burner for a few days while I help my best friend with his ABF conversion and sort out my workshop and storage cellar. The rest of the Mk3 rear beam is stripped so all that is left is to get to work on Tornado.

Hope to have Tornado back from storage on Saturday evening so Sunday is the start of the strip down and the real start of the project.

More later.....

18. PAB

PAB CGTI Regional Host

Finally got back to the action on this one this weekend, after sorting the ABF conversion on my mates car, a holiday to cornwall and a totally mega day a Curborough with the Jetta on Saturday it was back down to business on sunday morning.

Started with a tidy up of the garage and my cellar storeroom... I can find things down there now.
    [​IMG]

I've decided to run with the Leon fuel pump/sender unit and the Mk3 GTI 16v tank so first up was draining both tanks which netted me thirty litres of fuel for the Volvo, then stripped both tank mounted pumps and then modified the Mk3 tank to allow the leon pump to sit low enough in the tank to get it to seal.

Mk3 pump/sender, note the pump housing is seperate from the sender. The Housing clips into the tank in a rotary motion to a lug thermo welded to the bottom of the tank.
    [​IMG]

Leon pump/sender is all in one unit with the top being spring loaded. The housing just sits on the tank floor and the compression of the top locking ring holds it all in place.
    [​IMG]

To make it fit you need to cut the lug of the tank floor then clean the inside of the tank and fit the pump housing with the top mounting ring.
    [​IMG]
    Doing it this way I get to use the Leon loom connection un modified and clip on fuel lines.

Then it was on to stripping Tornado for the work ahead.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got a couple of holes in the usual Big bumper car places.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nothing too serious though, under the arches and cill covers is really really good, better than any other Mk2 i've worked on.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then onto the front.
    [​IMG]

Out with the engine and box.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That was the end of Sundays fun, today was all about stripping the rest ready for fabrication of the interior.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Everything has to come out then I can get stuck into the re-build.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tomorrow i've just the head lining, doors, tailgate, and sunrroof to remove the it on to the fun of steam cleaning. I've hired a machine for the week, should be fun......

Last edited: Sep 7, 2009
  19. PAB

PAB CGTI Regional Host

Stripped the rest of the shell today, then spent all afternoon steam cleaning it, was soooooo wet by the end I didn't do any photos, more tomo.

20. jettadan Forum Member

You certainly have some commitment bud, cracking idea and project:thumbup:

And nice to catch up on saturday. Hope we get to play at Cadwell ;)