Mk1 Golf 20vt steering rack issues

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by jarv, Oct 6, 2009.

1. Admin Guest

that bolt adjusts the camber of the wheel.

as for strut braces, what is the gearbox? i had an 02A happily bolted up with a strut brace, which i have no pics of to hand :( I'm sure Chris Eyre had one similar?

2. jarv Forum Member

It's an O2A. Was your brace straight like the OMP one or slightly kinked down like the Neuspeed one?

3. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

I don't think the straight ones do fit - a slight bowing downwards is reqd.

Nothing wrong with the camber slot. The bolt shoulder works against the strut to hold it snug, aswell as tension on the bolt.

4. jarv Forum Member

Thanks Chris. Looks like it's the kinked Neuspeed one for me then. Not sure that they do a top one, but the OMP one should do the job there.

5. jarv Forum Member

Turns out that the major issue of the steering wheel moving off centre was being caused by the camber adjusting bolt at the bottom of the drivers side strut being loose due to the missing washers. I've checked ETKA and will get new nuts, bolts and washers for each side, hopefully they will not be NLA.

The tracking was well out a swell, it's been set roughly right and when my upper and lower front strut braces turn up next week I'll run the car up to Wheels in Motion and get them to set the geometry up propertly.

Hopefully the light is at the end of the tunnel, cheers for all your advice. :thumbup:

6. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

:thumbup:

Assume you weren't at Combe today?

7. jarv Forum Member

Unfortunately not, was gutted, it's always a good day. :(

Though the car drives much better, it was just too risky taking it out without the proper bolts and washers securing the bottom of the struts, and I want the strut braces on and the geometry set up before I drive it in anger. I did manage to get over to the VW dealer and order the bolts, etc. Also managed to give them a bit of a wash. The Mk1 paint needs a serious mop, so that's next on my list of things I need to learn about. Detailing World, here I come!

How was ADI, did you get your misfire sorted and get out on the track?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]