OEM management wiring: 1.8T => Mk2 harness install FAQ

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by 20v_jimmy, Dec 29, 2009.

1. Classy6 Forum Member

For the coolant temp gauge, I think I've probably connected it to U2/9 but not in the fusebox, just removed the pin and spliced it into the wire going TO the cluster same with the RPM signal wire I think, although don't think I've wired this in yet.

Someone posted in my build thread about a floor mounted Mk5 pedal... although the post was a little vague, waiting for some more info!

2. dubster67 Forum Member

Hi there,

can I bring this one back for a moment.

I'm hoping to put a 1.8T into a Mk3, and just wanted to ask what you do with the wires in the loom that you don't use apart from ripping them out?

What I mean is surely the ECU will be expecting a signal from some of the unused wires, eg the can bus ones, or is this where the use of resistors comes in?

3. 20v_jimmy Forum Member

Hi dubster.

Most of the wiring which hasnt been mentioned is simply ignored, for example the can bus signal wires.

Basically to avoid codes you need to add resistors to the evap can (n80), the sai solenoid (n112), and the dump valve control (n249). If you look further back in this thread i posted some links to guides on VWvortex and Cupranet. Further to this, in this guide i have opted to leave in the relay which controls the SAI pump to prevent some codes here, this could also be removed and a resister of similar value to the relays coil used to replace it.

This will leave you in a situation where the ecu will probably throw a code relating to communication errors with the abs ecu, probably a terminal 30 voltage low, and occasionally it will probably come up with sai incorrect flow. If you do not connect the brake switch (i have opted not to in the hope to still be able to heal and toe) then you will probably get a code for this too. As far as im aware none of these will cause any problems with the running of the car.

One thing worth mentioning is that you will either need to keep the catalyst or have the second O2 sensor written out of the code on the ecu. Some people have had luck with using an O2 sensor spacer to fool the sensor but i think this is a bit hit and miss. The second sensor is commonly written out on performance software, i believe SWICT near Bristol are able to do this and immo removal, they are who i plan to contact about my ecu.

Hope this helps, any more questions give me a shout. Cheers, James

4. dubster67 Forum Member

Hi James,

thank you for the explanation. Its all pretty obvious now that I think about it.

I just initially thought that the ECU might throw a hissy fit if it didn't get all the inputs it was expecting.

Regarding my install, then I am hopefully getting an AGU engine so it will only have the one 02 sensor, and no SAI, n112 or n249. Well I think/hope that's the case anyway.

I fully intend to keep the catalyst anyway as I want this install to be fully road legal and MOT proof.

I'm not chasing big bhp numbers with this project, I just want a bit more oomph than my Mk3 2.0 8valve has at the moment. 200bhp will be more than enough. LOL

I'm also going to try and do this conversion such that it looks as OE as possible eg I will try and keep the evap can, and use an OE looking intercooler, I hate those Ebay things, maybe one from a Mk5 might fit.

I haven't got my engine yet so I'm just working my way through the wiring diagrams I've got. Getting there slowly.

I'm hoping to get a loom made up and get the ecu deimmobilised/remapped at the same time. So hopefully this will make it easier.

Thanks for now.

Regards from Paul.

5. Vali bva New Member

6. turbotommy Forum Member

Did you get any further forward with this james?

7. 20v_jimmy Forum Member

Hi Tommy, I haven't really moved on from where i left this thread as far as wiring is concerned. A Student budget means that I'm a little strapped for cash at the moment to finish this conversion but it is getting there slowly. I have been thinking about taking the car off the road for a couple of months now to get the engine in and running.

Ill be sure to post any details of how i finalise the wiring when i do it though. At the moment my plan is to make the new connection loom in such a way that it could be put into any car by simply having a live, earth switched live, fuel pump earth etc.

How is your conversion coming along? Last time we spoke you appeared to be undecided as to which way to go management wise. Hope all is well, and if there are any questions about the wiring if you are planning it then i would be glad to help.

Cheers, James

8. Admin Guest

This should be made a sticky/FAQ!

9. turbotommy Forum Member

x2 :thumbup:

Hi James!
    The conversion is coming along quite well,if a little slow [:$] sorted out all the plumbing etc.. except for 1 last boost hose connection.
    Started on the wiring (with some help) decided in the end to go OE management after changing my mind 3 million times :lol: but sticking with not using the ibiza management so i've gone with wideband ME7 and using an AUQ ecu and loom,just like yours really :thumbup:

Really need some wiring diagrams now (for a whole car) how did you figure yours out?

10. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

does that mean technically right now your usename should be n/atommy? ;)

sens a pm to mike_h if you want it sticky :thumbup: :lol:

Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  11. turbotommy Forum Member

:lol: Lol jonny,you have a point but i have an AUQ daily now to keep me in boost for the min [:D]

12. rubjonny

thats alright then, I'll let you off [:D]

edit: sorry that should have been mike_h :)

13. MNZ

MNZ Forum Member

Will the Diag Port work without the cluster?? Or is it the can bus gateway?

I am planning this swap in a Mk2 with an immobiliser deleted AUM ECU, but I want to retain diag port. :thumbup:

14. rubjonny

yeah it will, just need to link the diagnostics wire from pin 43 direct to the diagnostics port rather than to the dash :thumbup:

15. MNZ

MNZ Forum Member

Spot on!!

16. eire20vt Forum Member

Is this the only wire you need to connect to get the port working?

17. rubjonny

apart from the live and earth wires, yeah :)

18. eire20vt Forum Member

Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
  19. eire20vt Forum Member

Diag port;

Pin 4; earth
    Pin 7; k line to ecu pin 43
    pin 16; fused switched live

Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
  20. rubjonny

technically pin 16 is permanent live, but ignition live will work just as well since the ecu cant be scanned till the ignition is on anyway :)

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018