MK2 8v to ABF Conversion

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Willber, Feb 14, 2010.

1. Willber Forum Member

Morning,

I know there are lots of threads with various different bits of information regarding this conversion. I am after an 'idiots' guide so to speak!

My car is a 1990 8v Digi without power steering. I am looking to convert it to ABF. I have seen engines for 300-400 with all ancillaries. I will need the gearbox as well I presume? Or can I use my existing gearbox? I think it's an 020.

Also what are my options regarding power steering? My car doesnt have it so can I remove the power steering parts on the engine or will I need to fit a PAS rack?

What about brakes? Can I use MK3 brakes or a similar upgrade?

Sorry to be a numbnuts, I can't seem to pinpoint a thread which has all this information in a simple 'how to' and 'what you will need' sort of way!

Thanks guys

Will

2. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

http://clubgti.com/forum/showthread.php?t=187987

This should help you out mate :thumbup:

3. Willber Forum Member

Brilliant! Thanks for that :thumbup:

4. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

No worries mate :thumbup:

5. paultownsend Forum Member

its real simple fella. everything bolts up nice and easy. keep your gearbox, youll have no problems with the 020.
    its 3 plugs on the fusebox. f, g1 and g2 if i remember. literally unplug and plug in the new loom. the hardest thing is unravelling your old loom, as sometimes its been messd with. once you have the lump out, youll see the wiring easy.
    use your downpipe so your exhaust fits up nicely. all you have to do is while its off, get a lambda plug welded in for the probe. simples!

6. Willber Forum Member

Thanks for the help guys.

I will be uprating the brakes obviously so which are best to use? MK3 brakes or different uprated ones?

My gearbox is in good nick (i hope) it doesnt crunch or whine or anything.

Do you have to change the whole loom or just the wiring thats in the engine bay? Where does it split/seperate from the rest of the car?

Looking forward to getting stuck, I just wasnt sure how complicated it would be!

What can I do about the power steering? Mine doesnt have it, and im not bothered for having it to be honest.

Cheers

Will