2.0 FSi EGR Problems

Discussion in 'FSI (inc. GTI 2.0T)' started by vw_singh, Jan 4, 2011.

1. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Has anyone had any experience with the EGR valve failing on the 2.0 FSI? My Mk5 has given an engine warning light and an error message for the EGR valve. The car has just over 45k on it.

Can the system be cleaned/serviced rather than replacing it?

Thanks.

Gurds

2. Brookster

Brookster Paid Member Paid Member

Its water cooled is the EGR Valve on the FSI engine , so it could be the sensor that is faulty not the valve.

you could just blank the EGR off if it is faulty and reset with VAGCOM.

3. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Is it possible to blank the EGR on the petrol variants thought? The engine does shudder slighlty on cold idle for a short while.

A quick online search reveals that the motor gears are waek and loose teeth at about this mileage and age. Uprated item available. I plan to open mine and take a look for damage.

Gurds

4. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

I've not tried to block off a EGR on a FSI, but most of the maps and way of self diagnostic - hence EGR flow issues rely on known quanties of air flow / MAP readings to act as a checksum ( expected data verses actual data)
    guessing it won't like it & freek out!!

I'd be intrested in the internals, came across many replaced due to fault

5. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

This is the error code I have:

17808 - EGR Valve (N18): Electrical Malfunction
    P1400 - 001 - Upper Limit Exceeded

6. infinity

infinity Forum Member

most likely to be the valve itself, although that fault code is also related to the EGR's wiring.

7. Brookster

Brookster Paid Member Paid Member

My VRS CR170 Engine has 2 EGR Valves Nightmare , High Pressure side and low pressure side.

When remapping they disable both, would it benefit just disabling the EGR .

8. LeftcoastTigger Paid Member Paid Member

Disable EGR at your peril - -

During another lifetime I was heavily involved with Indirect Diesel Injection engines, which share many combustion idiosyncrasies with direct injection petrol engines, and attach a technical document on I.D.I. engine egr issues for Members' consideration:o

"Exhaust Gas Recirculation: Effect of System Modification on Emissions and Engine Component Life

It appears few in our Industry understand how EGR systems influence combustion chamber temperatures and, where driveability or other issues arise, may be encouraging their customers to disarm those systems with potentially disasterous repercussions

The purpose of an EGR system is to lower combustion chamber temperatures and therefore NOx

Admitting exhaust gases into the induction manifold decreases the amount of oxygen available to support combustion, which slows and retards the process thereby preventing combustion temperatures from exceeding the approximately 700C temperatures at which NOx becomes an increasing problem

However, retarding the combustion process also decreases combustion chamber pressure and therefore forces acting apon the piston crown

Drivability problems so created are countered by modifying injector pump calibration to decrease delivery volumes, and modifying the phasing maps to advance injection timing

De activating EGR on a factory equipped engine, with or without addressing the above calibration and phasing issues, risks both engine component life and, in many countries, prosecution by relevant Government Deartments for tampering with exhaust emissions components

Relative to IDI engines, the EGR valve permits gases to enter the induction system under conditions of light load and potentially high BMEP, typically between approximately 50 and 90 kilometers an hour in top gear or lower gear equivelent

The EGR valve remains closed at idle or full throttle if functioning correctluy

When investigating drivability issues or component failures, be aware that a pyrometer fitted to the the exhaust manifold, pre or post turbo charger if so equipped, does not register combustion chamber temperatures as exhaust gas temperatures have been dramatically lowered by, amongst other factors, the extreme pressure drop encountered during their escape from the combustion chamber proper

Dynamic testing of combustion chamber components requires dedicated temperature or pressure probes incorporated within or attached to specific components, which are exposed to maximum combustion temperatures for but milliseconds during one phase of each two crankshaft revolutions, and are no more inclined to achieve peak or ambient combustion chamber temperatures than a finger brushed across the red hot element of a stove

Lastly and relative to failure analysis, the cooling system tell tale buttons many recondioners epoxy within the coolant galleries of of cylinder heads in particular, are not a reliable guide to combustion chamber temperatures or component failures as they monitor coolant temperature alone which, as may be concluded from the above, may be within normal limits despite abnormal combustion chamber or component temperatures"
    [:^(]

HPR likes this.
  9. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

I fixed this by the way. The EGR valve houses crappy PLASTIC gears driven by a stepper motor with a METAL gear! The plastic gear had lost a couple of teeth so was not being driven anymore. As the maximum angle the gear moved was only 90 degrees, I just removed the gear and rotated it so that the sheared teeth are out of the range of movement. Reset the fault code and all is good! This can all be done while the EGR valve is still in situ, just open the top cover to reveal the gears.

Gurds

10. airnewzealand15 New Member

Hey VW_Singh, i also just did exactly what you said, cleared the check engine light also, but now my live km/litre read out is going crazy, like between 4 and 50 and then sometimes shows 00-00 as well. Did yours do this? Someone thought it might need re-calibration or something, but maybe your one sorted itself after a while?

11. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Hiya.

No problem with the readouts on mine and I don't think they are related. The valve did fail in the same way every 6 months to a year for which I kept doing the same thing. I'd look at getting a replacement brass gear or code out the EGR altogether.

Gurds