Golf MK3 Electric window...weIrd!

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by Reiidar, Mar 11, 2011.

1. Reiidar New Member

Hi guys!

I have som questions...

I have a 1993 Mk3 Golf VR6, 4 door.

Recently i have started getting issues with my front passenger window. It have worked fine before, the doorswitch and regulator is OK, the wiring between the door and body seems fine and so on...Havent checked for loose wirings yet, but i dont think thats causing the problem.

Main problem:

When I stop my car, my front passenger window goes all the way down and will not go up again. Is there a locking pin in this door also that can cause this problem or do someone have an explanation/solution?

Aditional problems:

Also when i stop my car, the rear windows will go down. (Motors do not work or faulty regulator, really dont care.)

When i try to run the rear drivers window, sometimes the sunroof is trying to open or close? (also dont work!)

Experts, please answer me :) It's snowing like .... here in Norway [xx(]

2. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Sounds like you have a problem with the `convenience` unit. It`s a small black box under the dash (somewhere...) that inter-links the windows and sunroof for `full closure` control (ie, when you lock the car, any windows that are open are automatically closed.)

I don`t know why it`d open windows when you stop the car, though...

In the meantime, if the window doesn`t go back up when using the switches try turning and holding the key in the relevant doorlock. That should at least close the window for you and prevent the snow getting in!

I suspect Rubjonny will be along soon enough...he knows far more about this subject that most. :thumbup:

3. Reiidar New Member

Alright! Never heard of that before, funny you mentioned it though, I have heard some noices under the dash. Some click here and there. Black box you say, isnt there any relays or fuses to the windows?

I have tried holding the key in both front doors, opening and closing a hundred of times....Does not respond at all. I have got it to work when turning the ignition on and off, but then the window is moving like 2 cm at the time...That did not function now either ofcourse.

4. Reiidar New Member

Central locking is not funtioning properly, when i push down the knob on driver side, it comes back up and wont lock the other doors. Can this be related to the windows?

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

there is a switch on the doors which triggers the total closure, perhaps this is causing the windows to go funny. think you need to take the lock block out the door and see why its p[laying up

6. Reiidar New Member

And that switch triggers when i stop my car?

I will try change the convenience box and look into the doorswitch.
    Possible to bypass it or disconnect it somehow?

7. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

i think yeah this switch is active with engine off, as its supposed to close the windows if you hold the door key in the lock position. either way summat isnt right if the doors wont lock, so get on the case with the spanners

8. Reiidar New Member

Have done some research now.

BTW, DEFA alarm pack is installed. It works fine, just for information.

Changed the whole lock block from another car, my spare part car...It's still the same.

It seems like while the power window is connected, the central locking pump is going crazy and wont lock any doors, when its unplugged central locking works fine. !?

There must be some kind of signal there too?

Since my window is completely down, i can't get out the lock block nor the window. I have another power window motor on my spare car i want to try but i dont know how to get it out tough.

Edit:

The convenience unit, my car is a 93' and i dont know if i have that box? If so, where is it?

Thought i should bring it up since the first reply in this post mentioned it.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2011
  9. Reiidar New Member

Going out to try to change lock box on drivers side now...

Post some ideas meanwhile :-)

10. Dougie Paid Member Paid Member

No mk.3 has an "(in)convienience control unit" - each window motor has its own control pcb, as do the central locking pump and sunroof. From the above information, I'd suspect that one unit is faulty and affecting the others. As you say, with the window disconnected the remaining units are fine. Could be that the isolated units' pcb is faulty (wet, perhaps). Window motor pcb's can be replaced with good (used) items, rather than paying out for a new motor & pcb.

The connection between window motors and central locking is in the drivers door wiring harness; the c/l 'lock'/'unlock' wires are spliced to the window 'open'/'close wires. Disconnecting the drivers door at the 'A' pillar eliminates the link between c/locking and elec. windows.

11. Reiidar New Member

Thanks for the information :)

I took a pcb controller from my spare part car, and the same thing happened on the drivers side so i can only guess it's those who are faulty.

I wonder what the prices are for new ones here in Norway, VW/Audi parts cost alot.

Anyways I will order 2 new pcbs, change them and post an update here if its working again :)

Appreciate the help! Thanks alot guys :)

12. Reiidar New Member

Thank god for www.germanautoparts.com and www.volkswarenhouse.de for nice prices :-)

I have also ordered vag-com cables, could be interesting to search for faults now :p

Anyways it will do life much easier for finding them...

Cheers!