Pollen filter for Mk2 Golf

Discussion in 'Styling, Trim and Bodywork' started by EZ_Pete, Apr 16, 2011.

1. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Following on from this thread, where I peed about and didn't listen enough to some trusty folk, I can report happily that today I succeeded in installing a pollen filter in my Mk2.

In a bout of rash spending following an MOT pass (:)) I gambled on a German Ebay purchase of a Mahle/Kneckt LAG19 (from this source).

I'd had my doubts about whether it would fit, and what I'd need to modify if it didn't, but in the end it fitted without much of a struggle at all. It came with a (LA19) filter element, as you'd hope, and pre-fitted foam gasket, and it fitted straight onto the leaf-grille mountings without colliding with anything in the scuttle. The only (ever-so-slightly) tricky bit was feeding the vertical end of the rain deflector correctly down past the N/S end of the filter housing, and then a minor 'squish' of said rain deflector to get it to sit down sufficiently onto the metalwork fore and aft. The deep 'gully' in the rain tray does collide with the top of the filter element, but is flexible enough for it not to matter, IMHO.

Pics to follow, if anyone's interested. :thumbup:

2. Richjay77

Richjay77 Forum Member

Pics be good fella, got me thinking this one has. Cheap simple mod with lots of benefits:)

3. Richjay77

Richjay77 Forum Member

4. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

That looks like the filter element, yes, but minus the housing.

Here's some piccies:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Housing alone:
    [​IMG]

Filter element alone:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This last one shows the minimal extent of the interference of the raintray gully and the top of the element. Only about 10mm of squish required. :)

FYI, a year or two back I went to VW for some new clips that hold the rear edge of the raintray down onto the metalwork (having lost a couple), and a new rubber to seal the front edge against the underside of the bonnet. Both were still available, though I'd have to dig about a bit to find part numbers. Edit: Clips (4 or 5 reqd.) 191 819 145A; Gasket 701 823 737. Both showing prices on vagcat, 0.3 Euro and 12.1 Euros respectively. Edit2: you don't need these bits to fit the filter/housing, just thought I'd include them if anyone wanted to 'refresh' that area of the car.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2017
  5. Richjay77

Richjay77 Forum Member

So where did you get the filter housing tray from fella?

6. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Have another quick glance at the second sentence of post #1. ;)

7. Richjay77

Richjay77 Forum Member

well I did click on that link but my German is no good lol. So take it that link is the tray plus filter??

8. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Yes mate.

I did a search for LAG19, knowing that was the full kit, housing included.
    I think I had to tick the box for "search description as well as title" like you do on UK ebay if you're not sure that the title will include your search term.

Of the 3 results, the one I've linked seemed to be the only one that included the housing.

If you scroll down within that listing you'll see it refers to LAG19.

Buying from German Ebay is really easy, just log in with your UK username and password, click the normal places, job done. :)

The company behind that listing is "discounter-deutschland", phone number +49 2371 9210691. Wouldn't mind betting there's someone there that can speak perfect English.
    Website is www.autoteile-direkt24.de (but I couldn't get their search box to find LAG19).

9. Richjay77

Richjay77 Forum Member

Thx Pete, gonna order one as for such little money has to be done really;)

10. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

ive ordered a few things from germany, its no big deal. main thing is to check if they offer worldwide shipping, and if not email them to ask!

tip for you, when you find what you want on ebay.de add it to your watch list then log back into the ebay uk site, then you can browse the listing with the UK ebay interface for asking questions and checking postage

11. Richjay77

Richjay77 Forum Member

Cheers fella:)

12. rdf1988 Forum Member

I didn't realise the MK2 had one of these!

I'm going to check mine out on the weekend. What effects will the filter have if it's dirty?

Thanks all.

13. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

doubtful you have one, only fitted as std to aircon models though it could be ordered from vw accessories catalogue back in the day. if it was clogged you just wouldnt get much air into the cabin

14. thegave Forum Member

I'm so confused. Is the LAG19 kit side-specific?

There's still loads of the Votex filter kit but as I understand they're LHD only and wouldn't fit on a RHD. I would love to get something fancy that traps pollutants as well since I spend a lot of time driving through tunnels or sitting in traffic. Or sitting in traffic in tunnels.

15. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Kinda, it will fit better on LHD vehicles as far as I can see, but it will fit on RHD with the above slight squishing of the rain tray required, which is so minimal as not to be a worry at all.

If you look at my pics of the fixing points, there's two on the inboard side, one on the outboard side. The car has fixings which are mirrored across the centreline, so with LHD cars the front of the pollen filter housing will be facing forwards; on RHD backwards. This would make no difference if the thing had equal protrusion forwards and backwards from the fixings, but it doesn't. This leads to more of this filter housing being further forward in the scuttle if fitted in my car than if fitted in a LHD car, leading to the slight interference with the deep gully at the end of the rain tray.

Clear? lol

I could try to sketch the two possible (LHD/RHD) arrangements if you want, then take a pic of my sketch?

16. thegave Forum Member

No I think I get what you mean.

Thanks

17. thegave Forum Member

No I think I get what you mean.

Thanks

18. pingman New Member

sorry to revive an old thread, does anyone have the part number for the housing?

19. pigbladder Forum Addict

will have some for sale soon if youre still looking

20. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Interested.
    So the filter fits in, and no top plastic cover?