ABF timing belt and marks

Discussion in '16-valve' started by shaggyjh, Apr 29, 2011.

1. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

you can only put the fly on 1 of 3 ways so as long as the mark is roughly at the top thats close enough for assembly purposes. there are 2 locating dowels too which help make sure you put the flywheel on the right way, but it is possible to bolt the fly on wrong and crush the dowels/bend the pp! so make sure you line these up properly :)

2. shaggyjh Forum Member

Just cleaned it all off and then bolted the new Sachs pressure plate on with the new bolts with loctite to 44lb/ft + 90' torque. Is this ok? Used the power steering bracket as a make shift to stop the thing turning round when torquing it :lol:

[​IMG]

I then have installed the cover and wire clip

[​IMG]

How do i now fit the clutch? How do you keep the clutch central while trying to place the flywheel over it and get the 2 pins on the flywheel into their respective notches?

Cheers

3. shaggyjh Forum Member

No worries, had another go and got it on. It has got a small bit of play but i guess when the gearbox goes on it'll slot onto the spline and jobs a good'un :thumbup:

[​IMG]

4. danster Forum Addict

The friction disc will only go on one way, if you hold it in position then put the flywheel on carefully aligning the 2 locating dowels then it will still be possible to centralise the friction disc as you begin to nip up the 9 flywheel to pressure plate bolts. If you look in the centre of the flywheel you can just nudge the friction disc till it is close to centred and it will be fine.

A few things I notice are, you have not fitted the shim washer behind the 6 pressure plate to crank bolts. This is not really anything to worry about I suppose.
    You can take off the large alloy girdle from the engine as that is only there for the 02A box.
    And importantly. There is one dowel missing on the rear of the engine to align the gearbox. The one in the front is there. The missing one may be in the 02A box that came off the engine. It could also be that the 020 box you are about to fit has the dowels stuck in it so you will need to make sure there are only one in each of the two positions.

5. shaggyjh Forum Member

Oops, there were none on originally when i took the 02A flywheel off!

Do you mean as circled below? Which hole should it be in?

[​IMG]

6. danster Forum Addict

The missing dowel should be in position 2. :thumbup:

The 02A flywheel does not have the shim washer under the flywheel to crank bolts.

7. shaggyjh Forum Member

There is one on the old DX engine so i'll get it out of there and put it in position 2. Onto the cambelt tomorrow night!

Thanks for all your help so far, maybe more needed :lol:

8. rubjonny

I leave the abf girdle on when i do the conversions, it seals up the hole on the back of the gearbox bellhousing. plus if you ever go 02a in future you'll know where the girdle is :lol:

9. shaggyjh Forum Member

I was going to leave it on just because I can't be bothered to take the flywheel off again and get to the fixings for the girdle.

I had a go at getting the dowel out last night, but it was not budging, any ideas?

10. rubjonny

the fixings for the girdle are underneath, 4 allen bolts so you dont need to touch the flywheel ;)

with the dowel check your gearbox as well before you fit it, I've seen the dowels get stuck in there and cause problems when bolting it up with 2 dowels trying to occupy the same space :lol:

you want 1 dowel per hole :thumbup:

11. shaggyjh Forum Member

I have one dowel in abf engine and one in 02a gearbox. Then 2 in the dx engine, none in my 020 gearbox which is going to be fitted to the abf. Tried mole grips but they just seemed to bend the lip of the dowel, and there's no way of getting them out from the other side as they sit flush?

12. rubjonny

can you tap them out from behind? i cant remember if the dowel holes are blind or not...

can you get the dowel out of the 02a gearbox?

13. shaggyjh Forum Member

The hole at the back is smaller in diameter than the front. There is a step that the dowel sits against, but it's flush so there's nothing to push against from the back. I'll try again when I get home.

14. shaggyjh Forum Member

Right, i've taken the old belt, tensioner and old stub off and put the new stud and belt on with the tensioner just placed over the stud but not tightened at all yet. I transferred the marks onto the new belt by counting teeth on the belt.

The flywheel mark is visible through the gearbox hole

[​IMG]

and the 2 dots on the cams line up

[​IMG]

and the top pulley mark lines up with the rocker cover case, sorry phone angle makes it look out

[​IMG]

Does this look ok? If it is :o how do i know what tension to set the tensioner? I have the special tool with 2 pins to make it easier for myself :lol:

The bottom crank pulley marks on the new belt don't line up by one tooth, but it all lines up so i think it was out before.

15. danster Forum Addict

There are two timing marks on the flywheel. The V mark with orange is for the ignition timing, and the little dimple to the right just above the flywheel to pressure plate bolt is the TDC mark. ;)

[​IMG]

16. shaggyjh Forum Member

Just tweeked it very slightly and all lines up perfectly. I have tensioned the belt so that i can twist it about 45 degrees, spun it all round twice by the crank pulley and it all still lines up :thumbup:

Thanks Danster for all your help. I PM'd you.

17. emery1990 Forum Member

Sorry for hijack, but with the flywheel mark, when should I see the diamond, I was panicking the other day as I couldnt see the diamond when at tdc but remembered it was the dot that was TDC, so when do I see the diamond as I have seen it before when at TDC, but some reason after I started my engine I could just see the dot at tdc?

18. rubjonny

diamond is used for ignition timing, you have megasquirt dont you?

19. emery1990 Forum Member

Yes, so dont I need to worry about it then ?

20. rubjonny

not with megasquirt i dont think, isnt dizzy position fixed?