ABF timing belt and marks

Discussion in '16-valve' started by shaggyjh, Apr 29, 2011.

1. shaggyjh Forum Member

I am a total novice putting an ABF in my Mk1.

I have removed the ABF from the donor car and now have it on my engine stand. I took the top part of the belt cover off as i'm thinking i might as well change the timing belt as the engine is out. I'm glad i did, i'm no expert but this doesn't look good to me

[​IMG]

The lower pulley is in line with the mark on the cover

[​IMG]

so why is the top timing mark here? Shouldn't 1 and 2 line up?

[​IMG]

I took the distributor cap off to make sure the engine was at TDC (I read Haynes) and the rotor arm is also 180degrees out. Will this have done any damage? Or am i being a total and utter idiot?

[​IMG]

2. Hotgolf

Hotgolf Paid Member Paid Member

For every turn the cam(top end) turns the bottom end turns twice, so turn the crank 1 whole turn and the top will line up.
    The top pulley is twice the size of the bottom.
    So yeah, your being an idiot lol, but you'll get there ;)

3. emery1990 Forum Member

This caught me out for about 2 weeks :lol:

4. danster Forum Addict

Looks like the mystery is solved then Shaggy.
    I reckon Scooby Doo cold have helped you out with that one for a Scooby snack or two. ;)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 29, 2011
  5. shaggyjh Forum Member

[:$]

Anyone got a hole i can hide in :lol:

Cheers, just need to change the belt now.

6. shaggyjh Forum Member

Right, in for a penny, in for a pound :lol:

I have rotated the lower crank pulley one turn and now have the timing mark as shown below. It is one tooth out [:s]

[​IMG]

I have done a search and it looks like people say to put the belt on one tooth out anti-clockwise so that when you tighten the tensioner it brings it clockwise to be spot on, have i read this correctly?

Or am i babbling again [:$] I know if i fudge this bit up it's not good, so want to get it right :lol:

7. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

8. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

as above dont use the crank pulley mark, use the flywheel mark. i worked on an AGG where crank pulley mark was out by 90 degrees!

9. idlirp Forum Member

quote RJ, my crank pulley was out too. very strange.

10. shaggyjh Forum Member

Sorry to sound stupid.

I have removed the flywheel but i know where it was when i removed it! How and what do i line it up with, there are no marks and i have the gearbox off at the moment.

I've marked the belt and both top and bottom pulleys so i know where they are at the moment but the top pulley is out by one tooth clockwise!

I've ordered the tensioner (older one) and belt today from AVS with the tensioner tool for a tenner so want to put the new belt on this week, but obviously don't want to balls up my engine before i even run it!

11. danster Forum Addict

That is just because some doofus put it on wrong in the past. But yes, setting the flywheel to it's TDC mark on the gearbox bellhousing mark, then checking the crank pulley is the best way.

Shaggy, you could just temporarily fit the flywheel and gearbox with a couple of bolts to allow confirmation that the crank pulley is on correctly.

12. shaggyjh Forum Member

I've got a brand new sachs clutch kit arrive today for a MK2 8v 020 gearbox so will get the flywheel off the original Mk1 DX engine.

Will this complicate things if i put the Mk1 flywheel and MK2 gearbox on instead as these are the ones i will be using once the enigne is put in my Mk1 Golf? Or shall i put the ABF flywheel and 02A gearbox back on just to get the cambelt on first then worry about using the others after?

13. danster Forum Addict

Have a Scooby snack for being correct. :thumbup:
    If you use those 020 clutch and flywheel parts everything will line up too. Remember the 020 flywheel has 2 dowels that need to line up with the pressure plate to ensure correct orientation. ;)

14. shaggyjh Forum Member

There is always a first [:D]

So to get it straight in my head. I'll return the crank pulley to the mark on the lower cam cover with the top cam pulley mark at the top (all be it one tooth out)

Then put the DX flywheel and 020 gearbox back on loosely and then make sure the mark on the flywheel is visible through the hole on the top of the gearbox.

Mark the existing belt and pulleys so i know where it all sits and then take the belt off and mark the new one the same.

I'll have to put the new belt back on but move the top cam pulley one tooth anti-clockwise so it sits correctly.

Cheers for the help!

15. danster Forum Addict

You got it. :thumbup:

16. shaggyjh Forum Member

Cool :thumbup: Thanks for your help.

If i do balls it up can i use the method of taking the plugs out and then making sure that no1 is at TDC by sticking long think down cylinder one and watching until it rises to the top, then line up the cam pulley and the flywheel through the gearbox hole?

Hopefully i won't balls it up :lol:

17. rubjonny

subtract 1 scooby snack for being incorrect, the bolt holes are offset so its impossible to fit it wrong. :p the actual reason was the outer part of the pulley had spun round the inner part due to I assume to a dodgy damper rubber ;)

Yep! just put cylinder 1 at the top of the cylinder while you're messing about building the engine, then once the flywheel and gearbox are on you can get it lined up 100% perfect :thumbup:

Last edited: May 7, 2011
  18. danster Forum Addict

Give me the Scooby snack back! Obviously the holes in the V / serpentine belt pulley are offset. I was referring to the fact that someone will have put the timing belt pulley on wrong, ie not torqued correctly, allowing it to slip. Just the usual lazy mechanic that buzzes off the 19mm bolt when doing a timing belt, instead of removing just the allen bolts. And when rebuilding it failing to torque it up correctly. :thumbup:

19. rubjonny

there was nothing wrong with the belt sprocket, we would have had a whole load of other issues if it was damaged :lol:

like i say, it was the outer part of the pulley which had slipped round the inner due to the rubber bit between being buggered

20. shaggyjh Forum Member

I'll wait until i get my new bits and then check i've done it ok.

When i took the flywheel off originally the mark on it was at roughly 1 to 2 o'clock if you look along the engine from the gearbox side. Is this right? The hole in the MK2 gearbox is at the top (ie 12 o'clock)