Towing dolly, legal?

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by Jolfa, Jun 11, 2011.

1. Jolfa

Jolfa Forum Junkie

If I pull a car with no tax or test on a dolly so the front wheels are off the ground, is this legal? Any government/DVLA type websites to confirm this as I'm a little concerned and would rather not have the twin MK2 crushed!

2. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Aye, with two wheels on the ground it becomes a trailer - the RAC have taken my cars with busted sumps home that way many times. Lowered A4s are not the best for rally stages.:lol:

3. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

4. Jolfa

Jolfa Forum Junkie

"Check your trailer brakes

Any trailer weighing over 750 kilograms must have a working brake system."

I'm not sure this particular dolly has brakes... The Golf has one working brake! Though it won't be operated by the towing car [:D][:p]

Hmmm...

5. WillG

WillG Forum Member

can someone (brave) sit in the towed car and press the brake - therefore having working brakes? [:s]

6. mec82 Forum Member

I asked the RAC guy this last time I got towed (there have been many!)

He told me that for it to be legal the vehicle must be taxed and insured and the dolly must be braked if over 750kg. The ones on the RAC trucks are also steered. I think he also said that it was only supposed to be legal for emergency recovery.

7. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

I was told the exact same thing by the AA:thumbup: Wondered about the rules with rigid bars, obviously the car must be taxed and MOT'd as its on the road but what other rules apply? I was towed 80miles on one avoiding motorways but no idea if that was Ok, bloody hard work.

8. Jolfa

Jolfa Forum Junkie

It's in that link with regards to tax and test -

"Towing a car using an A-frame or dolly
    If you attach an A-frame to a car in order to tow it with a larger vehicle, the car plus A-frame counts as a trailer.

If you use a dolly to tow a broken-down vehicle, the dolly counts as a trailer."

And I trust this being a government website, and that my Audi was delivered without tax and test by a professional delivery company on an A frame, just wanted to check with something official looking :)

Though the brakes bit is something for me to consider...

9. rocco2litre

rocco2litre Forum Junkie

used one loads of times, think they are only legal for rac or recovery blokes.
    but go slow and you will be ok, never got pulled, but not sure if your insurance company would pay out in an accident.

10. Collie Forum Junkie

i have one of the dollies without wheels, and when i pull a car that is not currently legal i get a 1 day insurance policy from one of the providers usually about 30 quid.

i print out the cover note and carry it with just in case i get pulled.

i bank on nice and understanding police, . so far i have not had an issue

11. rocco2litre

rocco2litre Forum Junkie

what is a dolly with no wheels? a sled?
    only had one hairy moment when some bloke pulled out of a slip road onto me, was going over 60 and trying to stop a 2ton car with unbraked dolly is not fun