Mk2 abf conversion

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by domino_7, Sep 22, 2011.

1. domino_7 New Member

The hazard swith is column on both. Whoever did the 1.8t conversion bodged the wiring so think I'm going to have a fair few problems. Which engine mounts do I use? As I would like to upgrade them

Cheers

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

ok i think best for you to source another 90spec mk2 engine loom and work with that, any mk2 will do even 1.3. you need the ignition control part of it i.e. the loom that goes from tci to coil and dizzy as you need the loom to convert abf loom to use mk2 coil.

engine mounts/brackets depends on what subframe is in there, and also what gearbox you're going to use. do you know what subframe is in the mk2 now, also is it cable or rod shift? pics of all 3 engine mount brackets might be useful so we can see what was done when 1.8t went in

3. domino_7 New Member

How difficult would it be to use mk3 clocks? Cheers

4. rubjonny

the hardest part would be to get them in the mk2 dash, wiring wise its easy all you need is a mk3 clock loom! the abf engine loom will have the speedo and revo signals in there for you already. then you need to add an ign live feed to power them from D/8 to E/2. which if you are also adding the immobiliser is easy since the E/2 wire is also the same wire that powers the immobiliser! when you are robbing the mk3 of the immob box, follow the black wire. it ends up at a green plug (E) which also has the brake light switch wires to it. you'll see another black wire from E/2, that goes to a jumper block above the fusebox, nick all of that without cutting it.

Then to make it work in your mk2 swap the E plug over, and put ign live on that jumper block wire, done! you could do it the mk3 way if you wanted, the jumper block gets power from plug D on the mk3 fusebox. if you find that and remove it along with all the jumper blocks you can swap it over to your car and keep all the handy mk3 jumper box feeds. will need a slight mod of the old mk2 D plug wires, but if you cut out a load of the mk3 jumper box wires you can splice these onto the mk2 wires where required and plug in.

then the final thing to do is give the mk3 dash a feed for the left and right indicators, you'll note there is a 3 pin plug haning off the mk3 clocks loom. purple wire is mfa signal from the abf ecu loom, the other 2 are indicator wires. these come off A/1 and A/2, see my fusebox faq. if you cut out a good length of the plug that is attached to the mk3 clocks from your donor it'll make your life easier

5. domino_7 New Member

ive hit a problem with the conversion, i finally got around to doing it. the car runs untill i block the two nipples on top of the throttle body. on the toyotec thread it shows them blocked off. if i leave them uncovered all you hear is an air leak as it drawing throught the larger of the two nipples, block it and the car will not idle...... any ideas? cheers

6. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

The throttle plate has an adjustable stop. look at the back near the idle switch. loosen it, move it so plate is open more then see how it idles. adjust further if required

7. domino_7 New Member

ok cheers will try that. also has anyone got the appropriate airbox to fit this conversion. cant seem to find one, as im in guernsey we have no breakers :-( cheers

8. domino_7 New Member

I have tried this, it doesn't seem to make enough difference. I removed the air intake and it appears the butterfly doesn't open enough on idle with this adjustment starving the engine of air when the nipple is blocked. Any more ideas? Cheers

9. rubjonny

could be the isv is toast. the abf is really picky about the isv it took 3 before i found one that worked

10. domino_7 New Member

Does the isv allow air in to counteract the butterfly being closed? Cheers

11. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

Works with the throttle to give extra air needed for a stable idle. if throttle plate stop is set correct then isv is not required for idle when engine is warmed up. Isv also provides dashpot function

12. s-essa New Member

Hey, I have a 1986 mk2 with an abf conversion already installed into it and I am having a few problems with it.
    I don't know if i have an mk2 or mk3 subframe in it... how would i tell and are there any differences in the engines mounts between mk2 and mk3?

13. rubjonny

count how many bolts hold the rear engine bracket to the mount. 1 = mk3, 3 = mk2

14. Golffellas New Member

Hi can someone help me, I converted my golf mk2 with abf lump and mk3 clocks with all mk3 headlight loom. When i put on my headlight switch to main headlights the fuel and temp gauge drop to zero. When I switch the switch back they go back to normal. I've checked the earths and the wiring, the ignition switch. So confused please help