Heater Matrix

Discussion in '16-valve' started by Chrisrpal, Nov 13, 2011.

1. Chrisrpal Events Team

Hi Guys,

Just finished doing a abf to mk2 golf conversion. Everything works except in cabin heater ? It blows out cold air when engine hot. I replaced heater maxtrix in 2005. When I rebuilt the abf this year I tested the thomstat in a boiling pan and worked so can't be that.

When I had engine at normal temp today, both rad hoses top and bottom were hot, both hoses to heater maxtrix vavles were hot, the valve that is black and has an arrow marked on it was cold on the pipe connected to heater maxtrix?

Question I have is what way round should the arrow be pointing on this valve? I have been swapping pipes around in that area recently to get them to fit on the abf metal pipe.

I guess it could be the valves wrong way round, faulty valves or heater matrix?

Can any of you send me pics of the pipes to heater matrix and what direction the arrow on black valve should be pointing?

Cheers fellas :)

2. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Towards the metal water pipe.

But if you have a new (in this context 6 years old counts as new) matrix, you don't really need the bypass valve set-up.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2011
  3. Chrisrpal Events Team

OK, so it's not trhe valves round the wrong way. So they could be faulty or heater maxtrix [:^(]

4. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Or it could just be an airlock, which'll probably work its way out after a bit of driving the car.

5. Chrisrpal Events Team

Well I ran engine for a while with expansion cap off to get out any air locks. I also squeezed all pipes whilst engine was warming up.

My rad has developed a small leak at top of rad hose when engine is off and when pipes are cooling down. Jubliee clip is tight.

So could be a small crack in top rad hose housing. I probably will change rad and do same for heater matrix, it'll be a bollox tho as most of the dash has to come off again!!

6. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

That's a useful thing to do, but by no means guarantees an air-free cooling system. In my experience, the coolant level always drops more once you actually drive the car normally for a few miles.

If you're worried about the matrix being blocked with crud, try flushing it with a hose!

7. Chrisrpal Events Team

True,

Are the mk3/ mk4 heater matrix same size as mk2 and pipe connectors? If so can I guess I can run it without valves? Put new pipes in from a mk3?

8. Chrisrpal Events Team

Is there a way of testing the bypass valves? Is it a case of putting in a boiling pan of water to see if valve opens? In therory I should see daylight though it if valve is open? Right?

9. Chrisrpal Events Team

As I am writing this I am putting my metal bypass valve into boiling water. I took it off and blew through and it was blocked, air went through small hole? I am wondering if those bypass valves work on certain heat? I have another one in garage which is a 3.1 version. The one that was fitted to car was a 4.2 version? Not sure on different versions? Anyway on the 3.1 version from garage I can blew through both ends ok but the small hole has hardly anything going through?. I am stumped to which one is faulty, I assume the 4.2 version which was fitted to my car. I will test in a pan of boiling water to see if those valves work on heat.

10. Chrisrpal Events Team

After studing the device it looks like it's a pressure reducer? Mine was blocked, after a good route around with screw driver and putting it in very hot water it started to work, well I think anyway. Looks like it doesn't make a difference if it work under boiling water. Anyway will see what happens after I put it back.

11. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

mk3/4 matrix both fit, and dont need the valves. later spec mk4 matrix differs but only in that it has quick release couplings, if you rob some from scrappy the late ones still fit mk2s :thumbup:

12. Chrisrpal Events Team

I have incabin heat again [:D] It was a faulty valve, had a spare one in the garage and that one works perfect. As I chaned heater matrix in 2005 I assume it must be the mk3 one!! I flushed out the heater matrix before I refitted replacement valve. All splended :thumbup:

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011