26/08/17 *post 262* Toyotec's 'JENVEE'. The 6 speed era

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Toyotec, Dec 1, 2011.

1. AjVR Forum Member

Forgot how good revvy 4pots sound ! Looks like the gearing is nicely matched.

How often are you changing brake fluid ?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2014
  2. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Thanks.

The WOLF R is still going strong and is about to receive some well deserved updates to push it into the 500bhp category :o

So yea, Stay tuned Stay optimised [:D]

Richard Mk2 and 51ngh like this.
  3. Toyotec

I plan on changing it next year.

4. ham&cheese Forum Member

LOVE this thread. It's genuinely inspired me to keep the ABF in my Mk3 and spend a bit of time and money on optimising that as my daily as opposed to swapping it for the much more expensive Mk4 R32 block.

5. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Looking forward to hearing more on this Edd ;)

It's a beast at the moment, god knows how it'll be in the 500 region :O

6. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

It's not just what you write , it's the way you write it . Love it , Ed.

7. 51ngh Forum Member

hey Ed.. when you posting the latest updates??? ;)

8. Toyotec

I need to. Quite a lot has occurred [:D]

9. Toyotec

JENVEE 2014 updates. Part 1 The hotgolf gearbox and linkage treatment.

It was now 2014 and the Club GTI Show/Trackday tour/Events calender, was in the making by our Events Team. I wished to improve the car and also make it more durable, allowing participation in the many events that Club GTI was planning to be present in.
    Since performing the ABF conversion, the 020 gearbox that was fitted, seemed to develop a bit of an internal bleeding problem.Unfortunately this weeping always seemed to contaminate the clutch. I was pretty determined to get to the bottom of this annoying concern.
    By end of the last track session at Snetterton, the new clutch was slipping. The concern was, where was the oil coming from to keep invoking a slip conditionThe plot thickens... Also there was a small whine coming from what seemed to be the diff bearings in the gearbox and there was some small chatter coming from the what appeared to be the thrust bearing.

Gearbox update and Wales trip to Hotgolf.

As this stage, I called on the good guys at Yaash motors, in Wembley and they removed the gearbox from JENVEE.
    [​IMG]

I traveled to Bridgend in Wales, to meet up with VW Gearbox guru Martin aka 'hotgolf'. A machinist by trade and all round top VW enthusiast, notorious for building a proper high revving 2.1 16v motor, what Mart did not now about a VW gearbox was not worth knowing.
    I watched as Martin dismantled the gearbox and proceeded to demonstrate the typical weak points and components, the preloading process, and the reassembly.

Here are some pictures that show the gearbox disassembly and rebuild, done in ~ 4-5hours. I stood up quite and absorbed it all in!

Gearbox as received.

[​IMG]

The gearbox in an advanced stage of strip down

[​IMG]

Post mortem inspection revealed the diff bearings were scored and needed to be replaced.

[​IMG]

Also, the key source of clutch contamination was discovered. This pushrod was replaced with an unpitted one.

[​IMG]

With the gearbox stripped, many iterations were done to set up the the preload on the bearings races, as shown below for the diff.

[​IMG]

The same was done for the output shaft after many iterations.

[​IMG]

The input and out shafts, had all the synchro, rings, and locking pins inspected too. Parts that were worn, were binned and replaced as required. Then the reassembly started.

[​IMG]

The gear casing was refitted over the main components, leaving the top gears to be refitted. Instead, the top 0.91:1 gear set was replaced on request to a slightly taller 0.89:1 unit.

[​IMG]

Then with the top gear washer and bolt torqued down, the gearbox was closed up.

[​IMG]

You are looking at JENVEE's fully rebuilt 020 gearbox, pimp'd by Hotgolf himself.

[​IMG]

I should stress, we should appreciate the time ( lots of it!), experience and professionalism that goes into getting one of these gearboxes right the first time.
    There were many little tricks and tips shown during this process not pictured here. Mart certainly knew his way around any obstacle this box could have thrown at him, where it was an acceptable thrust or end play, the direction of washers, missing magnets or the signs of synchro locking tab wear, his experience was very invaluable in this build.

Mart then tuned his attention to tweaking the surfaces of the flywheel, clutch friction plate and pressure plate.

[​IMG]

This was done on a his trusty lathe.

[​IMG]

With the gearbox works done and after stopping by Mr Paul Rev it Haslem (trackcab16v), I made the journey back to London in one piece.
    The next day the Yaash guys refitted the rebuiltgearbox and the car was back in service.

The next stage, fitting a full Hotgolf stainless steel linkage kit and some other parts he had specially made for the rod linkage.
    When Henry Wright drove the car at Bedford in Sept 2013, he did indicate, that my shift quality was notchy in the selection of 5th gear on track. I later fitted a relay shaft with a plastic ball but it was later discovered, the bushings fitted from an ebay kit had already perished.

The shift quality and what was done so far, was described to Mart, who translated the concerns into some component
    solutions, which I will share with you.

Previously hotgolf supplied this well made kit as well made out of stainless steel sockets and hand turned weight.

[​IMG]

The gearbox bracket, had the bushings made out of brass.

[​IMG]

The relay shaft had the ball made out of alloy and a needle bush. The other bushes for the rod shaft were now custom made of brass.

[​IMG]

With components like these hand made, I got busy and proceeded to fit them.

The relay shaft was fitted when the gearbox was installed, so it left the linkages shown below and compared to the OE ones.

[​IMG]

Removed were these plastic bushes -another source of slack.

[​IMG]

One of these was fitted here...

[​IMG]

The allowed this assembly to be fitted...

[​IMG]

by fitting the s/s insert from the assmebly here...

[​IMG]

The whole lot fitted ready for a test drive

[​IMG]

Words cannot describe the significant improvement in shift quality with these components fitted. Now the gears are not, "maybe if would go in if it is yanked or pressed/forced,timed,squeezed into the gate, instated it slip into the desired gear with out fuss. Now this rod change gearbox feels as direct as it can be. Worked a treat as I racked up many miles sincethe gearbox rebuild without clutch slip.

Many thanks to Hotgolf for the rebuild and solutions to shift quality.

We will continue to improve the car in part 2 - Lighting and Driving Aids.

Stay tuned Stay optimized

Ed.

Last edited: May 20, 2014
  10. murph81 Forum Member

Awesome job on the gearbox, after messing around with those old type linkages before I can only imagine how that feels now after all the soft OEM stuff has been binned!

Keep up the good work!

11. Toyotec

Thanks Adam.
    It did take me a while to get used to selecting gears effortlessly.

More to come as I bring the cars developments up to date. I almost cannot keep up with my own pace!

12. G28OPN Forum Member

Nice little update Eddie. The brass bushings you are using, were they made for you or were they bought? I dont suppose you have any close-up pics of them before they went in?

David.

13. Toyotec

All the bushings were made by hotgolf.

14. Hotgolf

Hotgolf Paid Member Paid Member

I make all the bushes from PB2, which if you look it up isn't cheap by any means, but is a good material to work with for this application.
    The problem with the main shift support is that every one I have done has been slightly different to the last, so each pair of bushes has ended up different sizes so there's no up/down movement on the shaft. If you start bending the support to suit then the alignment goes a bit off and the shaft won't turn smoothly.

Flywheels are usually machined in a 4 jaw for precision. Eddies was having the face cleaned with emery tape so a 3 jaw would surfice(to any machinist out there, sorry for the swarf build up lol)
    As for the linkage kits, there's a chap on ebay selling something similar, without the collars and with polished BZP ends for 99 plus postage!!!
    I may have some in the next few weeks but it may only be a run of 10 or so kits.

G28OPN, Toyotec and Sirguydo like this.
  15. Toyotec

Thanks Mart for adding clarity for what I had written :thumbup:

16. G28OPN Forum Member

Thanks for replies. I already know about the guy on ebay [:$] I ended up buying one last year. I didnt want to hassle you and ask again Martin. Im still interested in one of your flywheels if you have one kicking about.

Eddie, will you be adding throttle bodies to the engine or keeping the plenum?

17. Toyotec

2 of my own throttle systems and one from Brain G, will be tested as part of an experiment yes. The car has two looms to support alpha N and speed density algorithms. For my track enjoyment however, because I have lots to learn, it will run the OE plenum :thumbup:

18. G28OPN Forum Member

I bet I have more to learn than you my friend lol
    when I had the original engine, 16v kr, I had the head ported etc etc and also had the manifold port matched and tidied up inside, upper and lower parts. Ive always wondered if it had made a difference. You could always borrow that for a while and see if it makes a difference if you like? Its the thicker manifold.
    will look forward to more updates.

19. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Nice work Ed.

Hotgolf linkages are a work of art. One of the best things I've done on my car, difference is like night and day.

20. Toyotec

Glad to hear you have the same experience!