Mk2 Golf Steering Column Problem

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by blackpug, Dec 10, 2011.

1. blackpug Forum Member

I've a lot of play in the steering wheel. Removed the wheel and the stalks. Allen screw holding the ignition lock on was tight. Bearing in ignition lock ok. I decided to remove column to replace bearing at bottom of column. Removed allen screw holding ignition lock on and removed clamp bolt on UJ at bottom of column. Tried to pull column out but top half came out leaving bottom half of column in situ. Is this right or have I broken it?
    Car is a 92 mk2 GTI with PAS

2. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

i think went about it the wrong way you would have been better to take the whole column out
    but it should still go back together
    take out the two shear bolts that hold the column on with mole grips they wont be tight
    it will make it easy to work on
    did it still have the spring under the adapter

3. seanr68 Forum Member

It may be that you have play in the steering rack/lower ball joints/track rod ends. I'd jack the car up and check for play there before stripping the entire column down mate.

4. blackpug Forum Member

Yes, the spring is still there. I put the top of the column back and it slides over the bottom half ok. I've got a new bearing so will try that first. Just hope there's no play in the 2 halfs of the column where they join.

5. blackpug Forum Member

Should there be a clip of some kind between the 2 halfs of the steering column shaft so the 2 fit snugly together?

6. Pluginz Forum Member

Yes there is bud. Its got several little holes in it. its a flat piece of metal. Will see if I can find you a picture. If you rest the metal clip type thing on the flat part of the column and slide the outer part over you will see when it lines up.

Ive done exactly the same on mine and it seems to go back together ok.

7. blackpug Forum Member

Got my column out finally. Shear bolts were a B to come out. Found clip lying in bottom of column. Joined 2 halfs of column shaft with clip in it's slot. Now tight. Just have the bearing at bottom of column and UJ rubber gaiter to change. thanks.:thumbup:

8. Pluginz Forum Member

Ah good man. I never had to remove the shear bolts when I did mine though, the whole column and barrel all slide out the column tube without removing it.

Hehe top bearing I did change, and for all the effort wasnt worth it.

Lower bearing is fairly easy to do yes bud. Tap old bearing out from the top half of the column tube with a rachet extension and tap new one in from bottom, 5 minute job :)

Your changing the UJ gaitor, nice, hows your downpipe heatshield? Good condition? 8v or 16v?

9. blackpug Forum Member

I didn't know it had a heatshield. Will need to look, have never noticed one. Got a good used gaiter. Car is 16V. cheers

10. Pluginz Forum Member

Ok, well im not too sure on KR, but 8v has a heat shield on downpipe to protect the rubber gaitor from getting melted, just a thought m8 thats all.

11. Drew21 Forum Member

they rust, then they rattle so folk take them off

12. harleyv Forum Member

I recently had a lot of play in the steering wheel on my mk2 kr. Looked into tightening the lock housing allen bolt but it was tight like yours is.

The problem with mine was where the bracket that holds the upper end of the column had become loose where it is bolted to the car. Might be worth checking them too? They were quite hight up under the dash and took me a while to spot them as they are pretty hidden behind all the wires.

13. harleyv Forum Member

My heat shield is badly rusted and has a noisy/rattly jubilee around it.

Is it ok to remove it or am I gonna melt the UJ gaiter?

14. blackpug Forum Member

No more play in my column after replacing the bottom bearing and the clip between 2 halfs of column shaft. Found one of my track rod gaiters burst so will renew the track rod ends while I'm in there. I also covered my 'new' UJ gaiter in heat resistant fibre/alu cloth as the heat shield was missing.