brake pressure regulator

Discussion in 'Mk1' started by Dub 6N2, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Dub 6N2 Forum Member

Malta (little island in the Mediterenian)
    I am having some very terrible feedback from my brakes and I think that the brake pressure regulator has gone past its days. Now can I just bypass this thing especially as I plan to lower my golf so it would still not work correctly(as it works by the load put on it)?

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

no it would mean full brake force to the back at all times = rears locking up. you could fit a manual adjuster, or just put another std one on. as long as you dont go too far lowering it there is still enough adjustment in the valve

3. Cero New Member

The smaller engined golfs don't have the brake regulator fitted but rather have smaller rear wheel cylinders fitted. You could also consider fitting in-line balance/restrictor valves to the rear brake lines.

4. Dub 6N2 Forum Member

I might then reside to fitting a manual brake bias adjuster or else work out a bracket and fit a mk3 regulator as they are much cheaper!

5. rubjonny

see my cabrio build thread, i made a bracket to fit a mk2 golf regulator :)

6. Dclarke Forum Member

My race car had the same issue when I got hold of it - same pressure front and back so the rears were always locking up and spinning the car.

I used the pressure reducer valve you can still buy new from VW and it was sorted and still in use four years later. I think it was OE on the later cabrio's and some scirrco's. It's a small unit that screws straight into the master cylinder then into the line to the rear. Cost was from memory 40 ish pounds and did the trick. A lot easier than faffing around trying to retro fit a unit on to the rear beam etc.

7. turbotommy Forum Member

Thats what i did with my mk2,screwed it straight into the master cylinder & the pipe screws straight into it.
    I also have a Wilwood bias valve fitted as mine is stripped out but its wound right out as i have no issues with the rear locking up.
    I have a spare one if your stuck so just PM me ifits needed.
    Tommy.

8. big jonesy Forum Member

Has anyone got a pic of this pressure reducer valve? Is it a small square with ports for brake hose's I have a the one that goes on the rear axle

9. turbotommy Forum Member

Yes the standard one is a small square block on the rear axle,not got a pic of one though sorry.

10. big jonesy Forum Member

Sorry to be a dumbass ! So that block screws into the master cylinder instead of running the valve that bolts to the rear beam ? Or do I need to run with that aswell

11. turbotommy Forum Member

Yes the little valve for the master cylinder gets rid of the need for the valve bolted to the rear beam,you only need to run one,not both.

12. big jonesy Forum Member

Happy days! Thanks mate thats good news I know the valve that bolts to the rear beam is as much use as choccy teapot ! I am going to run braided hoses front to back inside the car and using that little block will tidy it all up

13. Dclarke Forum Member

Yep, thats all you need, no need for the regulator at the back so you can lower the car and it'll make no difference to the adjustments.

The pressure reducer is a cylinder shape about two inch's long and about an inch in diameter.

Loads of pics on Google images. :thumbup:

14. Dub 6N2 Forum Member

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  15. Dclarke Forum Member

That's the exact one. Easy to fit and very effective. [:D]

16. Dub 6N2 Forum Member

great thanks buddy :) so what I have to do is remove the regulator from the rear axle and fit this near the brake master cylinder to the rear brake hose? Are there brake hoses running from the rear brake pressure regulator to the front brakes?

17. rubjonny

basically you have 2 lines into the unit, and 2 lines out. so just a case of join these up making sure you get the split circuits right and you're all sorted.

later mk1 cab and scirocco all have them, basically if its a mk1 cab or rocco with a 1.8 engien and no beam valve it has the reducers you need. (roccos never got the beam valve tho)

18. big jonesy Forum Member

Can you still get these from Vw main dealers?

19. rubjonny

20. Dclarke Forum Member

Yep, all of the above! I got mine from TPS so any VW dealer should be able to get one. Let us know how you get on:thumbup: