1990 GTI MK2/ABF/5dr/Alpine White - Au - Mission Complete 1/7/2016

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by blis, Feb 29, 2012.

1. blis Forum Member

2018 and still purring (touch wood)

IMG_6608-3-Large.JPG

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

nice [8D]

blis likes this.
  3. blis Forum Member

John, sending many an Aussie wanting to upgrade MK2's and wiring to ClubGTI and your Wiring FAQ / genius. Couldn't have done it without you and she's still purring nicely and not missing a beat (Touch wood).

Now onto repairing the RED Polo TDI MK5... complete turbo failure, dumped litres of engine oil into intake ducts and exhaust, hot side impeller and snapped shaft shot into exhaust and cold side impeller mashed and seized. Sourced new Borg Warner locally. Biggest issue was the oil feed stainless tube. Major pain in the (_!_), has a weird swage/flare but local hydraulic mob bodged a solution, hoping it doesn't leak. Thought I got lucky with the heater matrix, but seems it's just as painfull as the Mk2... will see!
    IMG_6863-Small.JPG
    Cheers from downunder...

h

Sirguydo likes this.
  4. blis Forum Member

[​IMG]

Speedo cable arrived, it's all good. Installed a new fuel filter, that's good too.

Did a tear down on the starter motor, brushes are "almost" gone a few more starts left in her but not much

Then went to start her up.. and Computer is DOWN... eeek

[​IMG]

Can't work out why VCDS cant find the ECU.... it's always worked first time in the past... Checked the relays and fuses according the FAQ...

So we've done the orbit and we're back to NO START...

5. blis Forum Member

Removed cleaned the top bolt with -NEG ground and scrub up contacts and she fired up... looked ok the first time... *shrugs*

6. Sirguydo

Sirguydo Fastest milkman in the West Paid Member

Well done Harry

blis likes this.
  7. blis Forum Member

8. blis Forum Member

The best souvenir a man can have :)

Attached Files:

Sirguydo likes this.
  9. Sirguydo

Sirguydo Fastest milkman in the West Paid Member

You got a part number for the drive shaft you need ?

10. blis Forum Member

Recap: After the disagreement with the water on the road and the curb, I replaced the lower arm, the CVs bought a 2nd hand hub, changed the bearing and now just changed the whole driveshaft as it seemed bent and the rumble remains...

Wondering if the hub itself was flogged prior... Hub feels fine without load, strut cap took some beating but it seats quite well and the rumble only happens when I shift weight onto the left hub.

It's a strange one and I've replaced everything but the disk rotor and it doesnt look bent at all but might be worth changing anyway.

I'm fearing something at the diff cups, but there's no change in rumble on tight corners, round abouts etc, same rumble like a wheel bearing.... So all I have left is the 2nd hand hub was flogged prior to me or I better check the bearing ... AGAIN!

It's a vague one I know, but suggestions?

Sirguydo likes this.
  11. blis Forum Member

Met with a Brisbane mate who thinks it might be a loose steering rack... will check tomorrow

12. blis Forum Member

13. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

bet thats a rare sight indeed!

14. blis Forum Member

John, he has an acre of Mk1's 2's 3's.... no wonder there's no parts here, he has them all. Gave me a left Arch too :)

15. blis Forum Member

Somethings rumbling and it's rotating with the wheel speed. It vary if I accelerate or brake, a constant rumbling that matches the wheel's RPM.

I've changed my arms, I've changed my hub (2nd hand) and new bearings (I had them done) and straight out of the driveway, the rumble still remained, as if nothing changed. The strut while it moves a little unloaded is solid at rest, there's no major play in the wheel. Shock aint perfect but not shot and I've torn down the strut several times old but not completely shagged.. I've tried changing tyres and had the whole driveshaft (that was bent) rebuilt. Nothing changes! I can go around corners and there's nothing really one can feel in the diffs..

Is the hub flooged out... did he change the bearings... The outer CV wasn't changed in the shaft rebuild, but felt absolutely fine.... What am I missing??

PAS?

Oh, I haven't changed disc rotor, but that spun up and doesn't pulse under braking....

16. 1.8T_mk2

1.8T_mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Have you checked the rear wheel bearings? Failing that if the noise is with wheel speed it might be coming from the gear box :thumbd:

17. blis Forum Member

Hope it isn't gearbox, just took it out!