8v GTI Not starting / Stalling under load / Misfire - Solved

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Cheg, Jul 1, 2012.

1. Cheg

Cheg Forum Member

Problem resolved (see last post) Thanks all for the help!

Afternoon all.

I've been searching the forum the last few weeks, trying to find a solution to the problem my Mk2 Golf seems to have developed over the last month or two. Found a few topics which sound like similar problems to mine, but nothing with a conclusive answer, or I'm not searching for the right keywords, as such.

Details...

Its a 1990 8v GTI, PB engine, approx. 140,000 on the clock.
    Head gasket done in february, new spark leads, oil and fuel filters, oil, spark plugs, cam belt, water pump, etc. Also had new tappets approx. 2 weeks ago.

Ran perfectly for a couple of months until I drove it down to cornwall at the end of May. Was ok going down there, but on the last day of our holiday the oil pickup blocked (didn't know this at the time unfortunately) and the oil light came on, so got trailered home.

Fixed the blocked pick up, seemed fine, compression tested also, all ok,
    But now it has a new problem.
    Ill try to explain best I can, but I've included a video at the bottom of the post which might help explain better.

It starts first time, fires up, but sounds like its misfiring.
    It idles ok too, but as soon as I put it under any kind of load, even a tiny amount of throttle, its struggles really badly and tries to stall unless you keep the throttle wide open, which then just makes it sound like a tractor and 'jump' around in the bay.

When it stalls, it wont start again, turns over but wont fire. It will eventually fire up, but you have to keep the throttle wide open, otherwise it dies again.

When i've managed to actually get it running, it lacks in power, at low revs in 4th and 5th gear you can feel it misfiring and almost kangarooing down the road every few seconds.

I'm going to do a compression test again this week, and also check the fuel pressure, but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, as my mechanical knowledge only goes so far.

Thanks.

[video=youtube;hKY-A2vR0z4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKY-A2vR0z4[/video]

Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
  2. nealey Forum Junkie

First thing I would be checking is if it's timed up correctly.

3. Bruce T Forum Member

I helped Cheg check the timing the other week. We started from stratch and everything was spot on for the factory 6 deg advance. It started first time after that but was still running abit rough.

I still think its gotta be fuel related, just not sure where to look.

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

lifter pump should be #1 on the list, then main pump

5. Bruce T Forum Member

Hows best to check this John?

Kinda taken over your thread Charlie, soz lol

6. rubjonny

unplug the main pump under the car and turn the key 1 click, if the lifter pump doesnt prime its dead or the wiring to it is duff :)

7. Cheg

Cheg Forum Member

Cheers all. :)
    Checked the lifter pump this morning. Unplugged main pump, got mother to turn the key, could hear lifter pump prime with ear to the cap thingy in the boot. Anything else I can check / try?

8. daljsd Forum Member

As you dais earlier on, get the fuel pressure checked.

9. Blue MK2 Forum Member

As Jonny said and while your there - new fuel filter wont hurt

10. chopperoli Forum Member

try a new distributor cap & rotor arm

11. Cheg

Cheg Forum Member

Fitted a new fuel filter approx 2 weeks ago and also changed the dizzy cap and rotor when did the head gasket.
    I'll try get the fuel pressure done this week and see what that comes out as.

The main pump primes, it's quite loud, possibly louder than it has been previously.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
  12. rubjonny

could be lifter has packed in internally even though the motor is still spinning, next step is to pop the feed lien off the lifter and run a length of hose to it, prime it with hose pointed in a bucket to make sure it actually pumps. if it does, then main pump could have died if its loud. when you go to remove the main pump remove both lines from the lifter pump before you start, otherwise the whole tank will drain due to capillary action ;)

13. Cheg

Cheg Forum Member

Thanks! Will get onto that this week and report back. :)

14. Cheg

Cheg Forum Member

Right, checked lift pump, fuel came out when turned the ignition on, so guessing thats all fine.
    Is there an easyish way to test the main pump? I've already had the end of the fuel rail off, and it ****ed out fuel when ignition turned. Next step check the injectors?

15. Matt48 Forum Member

when my ecu went the distributor was at fault, the actual dizzy was not sending correct signal to ecu to tell the ecu to fire in sequence, something called the hall sender. I'm no expert but it all sounds similar to my experience.

16. rubjonny

only way to test the pump is get as fuel pressure tester on there, you could try an injector test to see if they spray ok, but you wont be able to load test them as the engien wont start obviously, only that they spray enough for when cranking over, hall sender would be a good thing to check, but if the rev counter reads fin e that would suggest hall sender is ok, if it goes nuts then look into it

17. Cheg

Cheg Forum Member

Ill get The fuel pressure tester on it this week.
    My rev counter has been playing up whilst this problems been occuring, almost looks as though its sticking when i rev the engine, happens on and off really, so will check the hall sender also.

18. rubjonny

yeah put the hall sender at the top of the list, you have pm

19. Cheg

Cheg Forum Member

Righto, quick update.

Brought a new dizzy, fitted it and fired her up. Sounded like it was running much smoother, and couldn't hear any misfiring. BUT... The oil light has come back on so turned the engine off sharpish.

I've taken out the pressure sensor from the side of the head, and cranked the engine A few times, doesn't seem to be chucking any oil out at all.
    Don't think the pump is gone as it was tested not so long ago, but is it worth me taking the sump off and having a look?
    The engine has almost new oil in, hasn't been run since I changed it approx a month ago plus I changed the filter last night.

20. Bruce T Forum Member

You managed to get that filter off then?! B*stard thing.
    Did you check the filter? Guess it was alright? Was the oil getting up to the filter housing?