Rear wheel arch rust

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by muppet9966, Aug 2, 2012.

1. muppet9966 Forum Member

Looks like a bad day for me.
    Just turned up at work after a nice relaxing drive to work, opened the boot to remove my laptop bag and spotted this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Drivers side.
    MOT isnt due til Dec/Jan but I need to sort this out asap - looks dangerous.
    I've had parts of the wheel arch welded for prevous MOTs.

Does anyone know how to go about fixing this (and maybe a rough cost).
    I'm not sure if mobile welders are the way to go where I can remove most of the bits (maybe fuel tank), or just let a garage sort it out.
    Anyone have a decent garage in NW London?

Thanks in advance.

2. Chrisrpal Events Team

That doesn't look too bad to me. Best bet would be to strip boot and get a wire brush to it and see where it takes you. Then if it's just surface rust put some rust treatment on, prime, paint. Job done :thumbup:

I know a great welder in South East London. He welded my floor pan on my MK2, it was such a good job you wouldn't notice :) I did ask him to weld both sides of floor pan. He's in Chelsfield, Kent so about 5 mins away off juntion 4 off the M25.

3. muppet9966 Forum Member

Cheers for you input Chris.
    It isnt just surface rust as i can see through :(
    I do have a local garage, but I want to get some quotes.

4. Chrisrpal Events Team

In that case you might have to have the rust cut out and a plate welded in. I probably reckon about 200, bearing in mind I only paid 100 for the rear section of my floor pan to have a patch welded in.

5. muppet9966 Forum Member

Oh god, thats what I was fearing.
    Thanks.
    As its close to the fuel tank, I'm assuming that will need to be moved/come out.

6. Chrisrpal Events Team

Yes fuel tank might need removing. It's not a hard job at all, I just hope you don't find to much rust behind the fillar cap as that's a common problem for them to rust from behind and cause lots of nasty issues. Fingers crossed that's ok. It's all the mud and old salt from the roads that causes this!!

7. muppet9966 Forum Member

Yeah, thats why I had to have some welding done around that same arch afew years ago for the MOT.
    Fingers crossed.
    I may look into mobile welders......

8. muppet9966 Forum Member

Looks like its worse than I thought:
    [​IMG]

Looks like the turret has completely come away from the chasis.
    Just got a quote from a local garage at work, welding all around the turret for approx 200 :cry:

9. Andy947 Forum Addict

Thats prety fecked.

You'll find a ton more problems when you really get under the arch and strip the underseal away......

10. muppet9966 Forum Member

Yeah I know.
    But this garage (who I highly recommend) said its do-able and they will weld a thick plate around the turret for added strength.
    As this is my baby, I will probably get it done.

11. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Doesn't look too bad mate. But as Andy said, there might be some more rust hidden away.

Hopefully not as i love this mk2 :thumbup:

Hope you get it sorted mate :thumbup:

12. pigbladder Forum Addict

get a price to have it all cut out and pieces welded in , not a mot weld up where they weld a plate over whats there

big differance in how it will last

13. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

to get that fixed properly is going to take serious effort. seems someone has been there before and tried to fix it, but failed to do the job right and so rust cas carried on its merry way.

looking at it the rust seems to be the inner arch rather than the turret, so you might get away with cutting out part of the inner and welding a new panel in. not an easy job especially without damaging the outer.

as andy says you'll probably find a lot more rot when you start digging! i advise you take both outer plastic trims off and really look under there, look all up around the filler cap and underneath. looking at it you'll probably find its too far gone to economically fix :(

14. nut 20v

nut 20v CGTI Regional Host - Birmingham & Midlands

ive just done inner and outer arches fuel cap and tank bracket not a small job and a lot of mess inside and out side the car and took a long time. looks like to get full acess you might have to remove the rear quater and then when you start poking around you will definatley find more also there is prep there is so much underseal there it all has to come off first then that WILL definatley reveal more also when you get it all prepped and panels in place ready to weld it has to be clean that means all the wax from inside the panels as this melts and flows down into the weld and then it blows big holes in the panel so who ever does this is taking on a big job you could patch over and fill with seam sealant and paint over it would be enough to pass mot but would not last long so what i think it will come down to is how much you love the car!

15. muppet9966 Forum Member

Cheers for the input guys.
    I had this arch welded afew years ago for the MOT, this was a plate welded on the arch and sealed.
    That explains some of the black sealant.

Ive been quoted by this garage to cut out the rust and weld plates to the arch/turret, this includes removing the fuel tank and filler and poking around.
    I've been quoted 3/4 hours, but I suspect this may increase.

As this car has been in my family since 1990 and was passed to me in 2005, I will be getting this work done.
    I know it probably wont be economically to fix this car, but then it is a 24 year old, and means alot to me.

I may look to get the fuel tank bracket as this will probably be shot aswell (anyone got the part number?)

Thanks again guys.

16. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

191803483, 5.21+VAT from vw :thumbup:

17. muppet9966 Forum Member

Cheers John, VW Citygate dont stock that part, so I've ordered from TPS.
    Car is in garage (looks in a bad way) but I'm getting it repaired (properly) and it will take some time

18. Mike_H Forum Addict

I know a really good welder fabricator, who's very reasonable on price, if you haven't already decided on someone to do this.

19. muppet9966 Forum Member

Cheers Mike,
    I'm having this done by the local work garage, guys seems to know his stuff.
    I popped by yesterday and he cut most, if not all, the rust out, pretty scary stuff as it could have given way anytime soon. Especially with the poor condition our roads are in.

20. muppet9966 Forum Member

Well hey guys,
    I thought i would update on this rust issue I found on my car.
    The golf has been to be garage and I've had it back about 1 1/2 weeks now.
    I managed to check out the damage after the garage cut out all the rust, although I didnt take any pictures.

Here are the results, I'm pretty pleased with it.
    It was welded both sides, new filler bracket and I'm going to replace the fuel tank straps once VW Heritage have them in stock.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I would definitely recommend this garage, based in Hemel Hempstead, CarSpek.