Garage Streamline, Wandsworth, London

Thread: Buried Spitfires Find

Forum Junkie
    Thanks

Default Buried Spitfires Find

dont know if this is a repost? but this looks a interesting find if it turns out to be true http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...ned-to-UK.html

Thanks

I'd be surprised if they come out in good condition, remember the buried Cadillac that was supposed to be preserved, when it came out it was near scrap!

Edit, Plymouth sorry, not caddy

Thanks

That would be something! My grandfather was an aircraft engineer in the war. I've always had a spot for the Spitfire. I'm going to be optimistic about the condition of this find. It's pretty awesome anyway!

Dudboy

It's amazing the amount of equipment that was buried/hidden during the war. The most common bit was the large RCA AR88D radio receivers that were dumped in rivers and a few years later after the war recovered by locals, dried off and they worked! Mind you they weighed around 100lbs and they were amazing built bits of kit, in fact mine is still working today with only a few minor repairs to leaky old oil-filled capacitors. Not bad for a bit of wartime kit built in 1943.

Thanks

Matt, didn't know you owned old radio gear like that. Would love to see pictures of it.
    MSDroid - the Android dashboard, logging and tuning application for Megasquirt ECUs

Golf G60 Syncro Edition One / Golf MK5 2.0 FSI / T4 Transporter / Corrado 2.0 16V / MK2 Oak Green 16V shell with moss growing on it which the wife hates

Dudboy

Quote Originally Posted by Trev16v View Post
    Matt, didn't know you owned old radio gear like that. Would love to see pictures of it.
    I can't find any pictures of my AR88D but here's some of my R1155 (as used in Lancaster bombers) it was a direction finding radio that came with a larger R1154 transmitter. The radio operator could lock into signals by direction finding enemy radio stations. It was a very sophisticated setup in a Lancaster bomber with many antennas and rotary driven dynamo power supplies. I won't bore you or show you the 115 page manual This one is complete with it's original packing crate and was made in 1943 (still works)

Forum User
    Thanks

They should be in better condition than Glacier Girl.

Forum Junkie
    Thanks

found the equivalent of bits over 25 years while out detecting

Events Team
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mk1. View Post
    dont know if this is a repost? but this looks a interesting find if it turns out to be true http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...ned-to-UK.html
    I have been keeping an eye on this since January, There was fears the Americans, Japanese and Australians would get to the finds first, I would not be suprised if one of the those country governments would want a part of the finds. Another problem would be scavengers, so the finds would have to be rescued quickly.

There was a Curtis Kittyhawk found recently in near perfect condition the day it crash landed in Sahara desert belived to have been flown by a pilot called Flight Sergeant Dennis Copping.

The single-seat plane was discovered by Jakub Perka, a Polish oil company worker, who was exploring a remote region of the Western Desert in Egypt. The location is about 200 miles from the nearest town. Historians want the Government to act quickly and have the scene declared a war grave so it can be protected from local scavengers before it is recovered. Flt Sgt Copping, the son of a dentist from Southend, Essex, went missing when flying a damaged Kittyhawk across Egypt for repair. It is not thought that any of his immediate family are left in Britain.

A good place to go is Duxford Air museum, in one of he hangers, I think number 3 or 4 have WW2 planes being restored. I saw an engineer rebuilding a merlin engine. Amazing!!

Forum Junkie
    Thanks

Forum Junkie
    Thanks

update,looks like the digging will start shortly http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...=feeds-newsxml

Forum Junkie
    Thanks

Already got one, don't need another. The best "Hot Hatch" made during the war, a bit tail-happy though.
    Hopefully being mostly ally they will be in better nick than that Plymouth!
    Cheers,

The True Christ.

Dudboy

Quote Originally Posted by TheSecondComing View Post
    Already got one, don't need another. The best "Hot Hatch" made during the war, a bit tail-happy though.
    Hopefully being mostly ally they will be in better nick than that Plymouth!
    Was it you then who slammed one in at East midlands the other day with faulty undercarriage?

Thanks

Thought I'd add closure to this thread. Bit of a sad ending.
    http://news.sky.com/story/1053172/bu...tery-is-solved

Thanks

It is depressing. Can't imagine the disappointment the team must be feeling.
    MSDroid - the Android dashboard, logging and tuning application for Megasquirt ECUs

Golf G60 Syncro Edition One / Golf MK5 2.0 FSI / T4 Transporter / Corrado 2.0 16V / MK2 Oak Green 16V shell with moss growing on it which the wife hates

Dudboy

the amount of money being passed about on this was incredible

CGTI Graphics Designer
    Thanks

That is disappointing to hear, remember hearing about this on Chris Evans breakfast show months back. What a shame.

Thanks

It is a sad ending, although we had slightly better luck in digging up a dead king!
    8V Appreciation Society! (but now, sadly, Mk2-less )