Air - Fuel Ratio Gauge

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by Gup16v, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Gup16v Forum Member

Hi guys

looking to get a AF gauge for the mk2. which one are you running at the moment?

is it possible to choose betwen narrow and wide band?

ideally id like to keep the exisiting lamda...is it possible to run a feed of that for the gauge?
    ive seen one thread from time ago but many say import them from the U.S, was wondering anything worth looking for in the uk?

Car is running standard Audi Management Engine is AGU 1.8t

any links, pics or info would be great!

2. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

luminition afr004. will run in parallel (I think...). make sure you wire it as per the instruction. power and signal ov are seperate

3. nutter4x4 Paid Member Paid Member

4. ben mk2 Forum Member

I've got a duostlying afr gauge for my mk2 agu but I haven't put my engine back in yet!

5. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Innovate lc1.

6. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Tried the LC1 also, prefer the luminition

7. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

The luminition isn't as good as the proper wideband kits.

It can only really be used as a guide.

8. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

That is certainly what everyone on the internet says. But the AFR004 is less than 1/2 the price... Also the LC1 has minimal damping (fast response..) , so making trends hard to see while driving. My cordoba rallycar has an lc1, my gtir rally and mk1 sprint car have AFR004 . IMHO

9. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

You can adjust the damping in the settings. You want a fast response if you are trying to adjust the map. If its just a rough guide to see where in the range you are then fine.

You can also datalog with log works or in my case MS. If you want to know a figure ( number) that's not going to give you a clue.

It was discussed here a while back. It depends what the OP is using it for. I would steer clear for my purposes as I want to know the exact AFR at any given time.

10. samc Forum Member

im using an aem eugo on my 1.8t audi using an agu ecu and using just 1 sensor which simulates the narrow band, you just connect the right wire from the gauge to the (off the top of my head, so will check) violet wire on the lambda plug and had no issues at all in the last 2 years, running t28 turbo and bigger injectors etc.
    ive also got an lc1 but the car its fitted too has never moved in about 5 year lol so cant comment on it just yet

11. Gup16v Forum Member

i suppose its beneficial i get the same info thats going to the ecu. im not really looking to fine tune it and i suppose whoever maps the car can check AFR via vagcom for actual figures and tune fuel delivery themselves?

my power output is no where near yours sam. if it can handle yours ok then my K03S and standard injectors should be ok lol

12. DuBAndy Forum Member

13. Admin Guest

benefits of running one of these?

14. locosaki New Member

15. Mike_H Forum Addict

You mean general benefits of running an AFR gauge? Finding out if your engine is running too lean, before you melt it.

Doesn't tell you if one cylinder is too lean, but at least it gives you a chance.

16. Gup16v Forum Member

thanks for the input everyone.

i was looking at G60Luke's digi dash which keeps an eye on everything but ive got VDO's for temp, boost, pressure volts so dont really need it now. And yeah its just to keep an eye on the engine going lean. I dont think ill ever push the engine so its starved of fuel.

the only problem i have now is, all the ones ive seen are standalone and require there own lambda plugged into the down pipe. Qpeng down pipe for k03/s only has the one output. And i pressume i cant splice into the exisiting narrowband lamda?

17. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

All my raally cars have extra bosses welded in (4 from fuelparts) but you can (i believe) run two systems from one signal (as its a voltage..) Must try it oneday

18. locosaki New Member

Nope, you can't splice into the narrow sensor.

I use to run a AEM AFR in a previous car, worked well

19. Gup16v Forum Member

yeh its just the hastle of getting the down pipe off the car to do that...took forever to get it on in the cold and rain. AEM seems to be the one.. going price is around 150?

20. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Ive just done one on the car, not ideal, but heh? interesting comment about not being able to drive more than one input.