Power steering options and serpentine belt conversion

Discussion in '16-valve' started by thegave, Apr 4, 2013.

1. thegave Forum Member

Right now I have a standard KR running PAS and AC on the standard v-belt setup. General consensus is the MK3 serpentine belt setup is much better in all respects but I'm under the impression it cannot be used to run both AC and PAS. So I'm faced with what I think are the following options, for which I would appreciate some insights on the pros and cons on each alternative and whether I've got them right.

1. Keep the v-belt setup as is
    2. Swap to serpentine setup but keep PAS pump on v-belt
    3. Swap to serpentine setup and electric PAS pump - Who else besides NigeP has done this?
    4. Swap to serpentine setup and complete electronic power steering??

Things I am looking to achieve include improving reliability, reduction of parasitic losses and weight reduction. But please feel free to highlight some other factors I may not have considered. And no, eliminating either PAS or AC is not an option.

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

1. if its workign at the moment then id not worry too much
    2. the mk3 setup works just fine, so this is what I would do. main trouble with mk2 pas is the tensioner setup is so complicated and overall a rubbish design. mk3 is much better!
    3. This is entirely possible but the main trouble you'll have is space i think!
    4. not sure on the electronic pas, i just dont think it'll feel as good?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
  3. thegave Forum Member

Is #2 how it is set up on the ABF anyway?

4. rubjonny

the alternator and a/c run off the serpentine belt, the waterpump pulley is dished and runs off the V belt along with the pas pump.

the a/c uses all the same parts as the later non-a/c mk3 1.8-2.0 alternator setup with the tensioner wheel, only difference is the waterpump pulley, belts and the a/c pump has an extra steady bracket on the back. the pas pump and brackets are the same on all 1.8-2.0 mk3 regardless of if ac or not or if its early or late alternator tensioning setup.

You will need an ABF crank pulley though, this is different offset due to 16v having wider timing belt sprockets

edit: the alternator with the big spring under it is early mk3 including abf, the tensioner setup is on all late mk3 with or without a/c :) non-ac mk3 waterpump pulley runs off the ribber belt, a/c it runs off the v belt. Hope that clarifies it for you!

5. thegave Forum Member

I think so ya. Bottom line is MK3 setup (with AC) as standard is not fully serpentine, which I think I missed previously.

Ta RJ

6. rubjonny

yeah exactly, if you want everything off the ribbed belt then you'll have to get modding, i think a vr6 pas pulley will fit and line up, just a case of make somethign up to move the a/c pump as I think it will clash with the waterpump pulley, plus possibly may need to move pas pump, then find a belt thats long enough

7. 16vlover Forum Member

Look in the vwvortex.com
    b3/b4 forums.
    A guy in jamaica made this thread and posted pictures how to make it all work in a sibngle belt.
    There was clearance issues of the vr6 waterpump pulley flipped and used on the power steering pump. Very minor and he just ginded a bit off the pump aluminium housing.
    His thread is called:

Dayli turned project or something like that.

8. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

Mine isn`t electric PAS from Corsas . I tried a car with that and didn`t like it at all.

I use the stock PS rack, but instead of the belt driven pump, I use an electric driven pump from a saxo, 106 etc.

Like this.
    [​IMG]

That is powered by 12V, it`s a motor which runs the pump, so it can be mounted wherever you want, run with the engine off and is a belt less to be driven.

I found the assistance to be less than the stock pump too, which I prefer, for track driving the stock PAS pump was too assisted for me.

I`m really surprised more people haven`t done it TBH.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2013
  9. rubjonny

what did you do about joining the mk2 pipes to the pump, are the fittings an easy size to get?

10. 16vlover Forum Member

Last edited: Apr 5, 2013
  11. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

The return is the same size and just jubilee clips onto the reservoir

The `feed` is different, I just welded to pipe from the saxo pump to the VW line. You can see the weld between No1 & No3 HT leads on the pics below (just)

You could get a custom pipe made with Pirtek, I needed it doing quickly so welded the pipe. It`s been like that for ages now, no issues.

12. rubjonny

looks pretty simples! a VW ABS type relay holder might work for that relay? depends on the layout

13. murph81 Forum Member

Nice work Nige!