Race driveshafts, VR6

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by RobT, Apr 8, 2013.

1. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Hi
    i am in the process of buying some race spec driveshafts, mk3/corrado vr6 spec, twistable steel and very very strong (as used on numerous big power rallycross cars).
    500 a pair for bare shafts with no CVs if anyone is interested, will order end of this week, say Sat 13th. Coming from abroad so easy to ship multiple sets if anyone else wants some.
    Cheers
    Rob

2. 3hirty8ight Forum Member

Surely having a slightly weaker link in the drivetrain such as a driveshaft is better than ruining a super expensive box? Just a thought, I'm all for super nice driveshafts :-)

What CV's are you going to run! GKN Motorsports stuff?

3. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

The tyre is the weakpoint if the whole system is designed sufficiently. Std pattern cvs.

4. 3hirty8ight Forum Member

500 shafts with standard CV joints!?

Wouldn't waste your time or money... There's plenty of serious cars using standard driveshafts with FAR More torque going through them than any 16v n/a could ever produce?

Spike loading such and bumps and curbs will cause failure in the splined area if they are previously damaged.. But I'm never seen an actual shaft fail? - not before the CV joint fell into a billion pieces before hand!

However this is my opinion, based on experience and what is known already..

They'll look nice though :-)

Last edited: Apr 8, 2013
  5. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

This thread is about offering folks the option - I am buying some not only for strength reasons, but for clearance on the offside chassis leg, and lightness (as they are drilled).

And i didn't say std CVs. I said std 'pattern' CVs ;) But you wont be interested in those details, as it sounds like you know it all already.

6. 3hirty8ight Forum Member

Crack on Batman, sorry for the hijack!

7. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Wonder why the vr6 vento racers had gemini driveshafts....

8. 3hirty8ight Forum Member

Probably due to all the snapped shafts they were experiencing. (Slight hint of sarcasm).

They also had:

Inner CV joints in EN19 nitrided steel cages and 300M steel

The CV joints were the weak link. specifically the inners, which most Golf Gti championship competitors can relate too nowadays.

Your post above state "std pattern CV's" - Which to me sounded like std items. Silly me!

9. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Enough said.

10. thegave Forum Member

How much lighter, and is it possible to have shafts specced to reduce torque steer or is that simply down to their (differing) lengths?

11. TrackCab16v Forum Member

had major problem with drive shafts cvs exploding, 2 per trackday , and i mean exploding to pieces, was seriously p i ssing me off, kinda worked it out due to the rag top weight ,high speed cornering and clipping kerb at the same , drive shaft was fowling on the chassie leg on full lean , .. heated chassie leggs with map gas to cherry red and re shaped with hammer , problem fixed , was chuffed ,

12. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Good idea paul, but not allowed to alter the floorpan in hillclimb regs, even though i know plenty of people do.....

Dont know precisely howmuch lighter they are than std shafts, so will report that when mine arrive. They wont change torque steer i dont think.

13. TrackCab16v Forum Member

noticed a lot of the proper race mk1 s cut and notch and plate the chassie legg tidy , would that be breatching rules rob , or is it just in hill climbing regs . , plenty of mk1 s in hill climbing though .
    i think any rotational weight saving helps, , good luck hope they improove :thumbup:

14. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Hillclimbing modified production rules state the Unibody must not be altered between the wheel centers, so notching the chassus rails for clearance should not take place. This of course limits ride height.

15. TrackCab16v Forum Member

must be a few people out ther cheating then rob , lollol

16. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Oh yes. Lots. I've seen transmission tunnels chopped. Big sections of floor removed. Chassis rails notched. You name it. But if nobody officially complains, then it didnt happen.

Thats racing for ya!