02A box with 02J tower dense shifting

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by Romka, May 12, 2013.

1. Romka Forum Member

Videos

[video=youtube;-_fI3CP-b9I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_fI3CP-b9I&feature=youtu.be[/video]

[video=youtube;Un21tllk3iY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Un21tllk3iY&feature=youtu.be[/video]

2. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Tbh. Doesn't really look like a problem from those vids.

3. Hotgolf

Hotgolf Paid Member Paid Member

Vids make it look likes it working fine tbh.

4. Romka Forum Member

It sure does, until you drive the car. I can't count how many times ****ed up the sync rings by grinding them since i couldnt get into gear properly because something was standing in the way that made me think i had put the gear in. Even my golf mk3 1.8 engine with ****ty mk2 style shifter didn't had this problem, and it was sloppy and dense. [:x] gonna throw out the gearbox soon.

Also, i have a feeling that the weight doesn't do ****, it doesn't help me to get into gear, i have to push it all the way. Maybe i should cut it off and see what happens.

I appreciate all the answers so far!

Last edited: May 13, 2013
  5. Hotgolf

Hotgolf Paid Member Paid Member

Sounds like it's your box then.

6. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Removing the weight will make it feel worse. Maybe the box caused the 02a shifter to break up due to the extra force need to shift.

7. Romka Forum Member

That doesn't sound too good :(

I have another thing to say is: It's one thing if the engine is on and another if it's off. When i drive or stand still with engine on and push down clutch and try to put in gear, something blocks the way before i can get into gear! i can't shift directly into gear [:s]

As soon as i get into gear and back to neutral then its no issue to get back there again (as long i don't shift to another gear). Maybe you think it sounds like baulk ring problem but if i double clutch it feels the same + there's no grinding when i shift (if i shift right). If i release the clutch at the point where something "blocks me from getting into gear" then i hear grinding.

I hope i was clear enough!

Last edited: May 15, 2013
  8. pigbladder Forum Addict

do you think the clutch may no be fully dis engaged?

mine was hard work to get bled to a good standard ...until i reverse bled it

9. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

I agree that from the videos that looks normal to me! It sounds like clutch when you dont press it down enough and there is a "block" that you cant shift into a gear.

10. Romka Forum Member

Yea, it sure sounds like that, i wish it was that simple.

I did bleed the clutch this way, but no difference :thumbd:
    [video=youtube;wdf--suwqw0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdf--suwqw0[/video]

11. Romka Forum Member

I changed the slave cylinder yesterday, but it didn't make any difference!

Can it be that the pressure plate is ****ed or clutch operating lever/release fork? seems like i'm the only one with the problem. Also, i hear squeaking sound in the engine bay when i push down the clutch slowly (engine is off), maybe its normal.

Last edited: May 15, 2013
  12. pigbladder Forum Addict

sounds like the clutch to ...or still not bled

when did this start ? any history on the clutch etc

mine squeaks a bit with the pedal if you listen carefully...its always done it

13. Romka Forum Member

Well, i don't see any bubbles coming out of the hose from the clutch master cylinder after a while ;)

The history is that i bought a mk3 16v in the end of 2010, didn't drive it too often since i was going to use it as a donator. 2012 i mounted the engine and gearbox in the mk2, changed the oil to redline mt90. When the car was ready to drive i noticed this problem. Now a year later, still same problem

14. Romka Forum Member

Today i changed the master cylinder for the clutch since some people said it could be the problem BUT it didn't make any difference as usual...FML

Here's the video of shifting when the engine is on and i press down the clutch
    [video=youtube;5pH6iZJSyck]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pH6iZJSyck&list=UU-z4Ml_a7pKCFdM9kJcFzOQ&index=1[/video]

15. PeteM

PeteM Paid Member Paid Member

Holy thread resurrection ... was there an outcome? I seem to have a similar issue but my car is still up in the air on ramps at the mo so can't run it up the road.

16. Romka Forum Member

Jesus, this was long time ago haha.

This was my old 02A gearbox. I switched to 02J in 2014 because I got tired of it, it was alot easier to shift afterwards, I think the 02A box was fooked. I would recommend you to do the same if you haven't bleed the clutch or changed the master/slave cylinders if they're fooked. Maybe change the oil and check the cables to the shifter (if they're smooth).