New Garage

Discussion in 'Garages, workshops & DIY' started by TSR 2.1, Sep 18, 2014.

1. TSR 2.1 Forum Member

Right then, so moved house a few weeks back and as part of the bonus got a good sized garage [:D]
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Day we moved in and the old Morris was one of the first bit of the move to get "moved in" Don't worry once the place is sorted the two mk2's will be dragged out of storage.

First thing was to get the walls and ceiling painted, went with white to freshen the place up and help with the light. But did the bottom of the walls have been done ironically in garage floor paint.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Work bench fitted

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

And for the floor I have bitten the bullet and gone for porcelain tiles as these once fitted properly should be stronger and harder than the concrete. And should really help when it comes to cleaning the place up.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Still a lot to do...

Richard Mk2 likes this.
  2. Sirguydo

Sirguydo Fastest milkman in the West Paid Member

Not envious at all [xxx] looks great make sure you use sealer on your grout so it doesn't absorb any oil :thumbup:

Keep us in the loop :thumbup:

3. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

Tidy!!! It looks massive :thumbup:

4. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

I had always dreamed of tiling mine! How much do you think you spent on the floor tiles?

5. dub303 Forum Member

I dream of having one to tile :thumbup:

6. TSR 2.1 Forum Member

1990 it is a fair size just over 6x6m the best bit is the ceiling is just over 3m high ;)

Trev16v I know exactly how much this has cost so far but :cry: but really think it will be worth it.

7. Sirguydo

Never mind you might have a share of that oil money in the morning lol oh no you work don't you lol

8. TSR 2.1 Forum Member

Really fingers crossed WE are all still in the UK.

Take a night off the garage work to watch the results... Tense

9. blis Forum Member

Looking good!!

I've been a lacky for a awesome flooring mate of mine, he's orig from the UK and he's the best in the business, I learned a few tips and tricks.

If you haven't already glued down the tiles, I'd suggest finding the center of your room and marking a string line cross hair and working outward in quadrants.

Starting at a corner may lead to drifting off square. Working from the centre outward you stop at the last tile before you need to cut in and complete the other three quadrants,

Once you lay the entire floor, take another tile and place it on top of the last tile, then use a full tile as a guide from the wall's edge, overlapping the tile you placed onto the last tile and mark the cuts you have to make and allow for a grout gap. Then cut it out and put it in place, continue this process until you cut in the entire edge and then go back and glue them down.

This way you dont compound errors of an out of square room and when looking at the space the tiles are not offset to one side of the room and the end result is a balanced lay of tiles.

Good luck and knee pads are a good investment!

10. TSR 2.1 Forum Member

blis - yep I have used this idea before when doing floors in the house, and I was going to consider this when doing the garage.

However there were a few reasons I have not done it this way.

- The garage door has a really good seal on the bottom of it and because I wanted to keep a full set of full size tiles along the opening I have used this as the starting point.

- As there is a fair bit of stuff in the garage even after a lot of the stuff has gone up in to the garage loft I knew I would need to do half then move stuff over.

- I was quite keen to stagger the tiles like bricks as it looks a bit different and I was thinking might help "mask" any small issues which may crop up.

- It is a garage so if I don't have a perfect line down the centre I can live with that.

And I am not kidding my self that it is going to stay looking so clean as I have a few projects sitting to be done so it is going to take a bit of a beating and really this is why I went with the tiles as they really should be the most robust thing there is.

Going to try and get some time on this over the weekend :thumbup:

11. blis Forum Member

All good, I just spent the last month repaving under my deck, wish I'd bought a pair of knee pads and booked in a masseur

Enjoy, it's gonna look great :)

12. TSR 2.1 Forum Member

Well I can say that so far the tilling has not been too bad the insulating and flooring of the garage loft was a bit of a pain but a long hot bath, with a beer helped :)

Made some good progress over the weekend. [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

I have to say that after the first few square m going down I was starting to think it was almost too big a job and half looked into getting a man in to do it. But now the end is in sight

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Have got an sparky lined up to come in this week and run a new dedicated line into the garage as the current set up really is not going to thank me for loading it up with some of the kit that is going in. And fingers crossed the house lights will not dim when this starts up now.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

13. blis Forum Member

It's looking great, not much drift at all. I do wonder if a rubber mat in the work areas to prevent tile chips would be helpful in case you drop spanners etc, that's too much good hard work to damage with a greasy spanner.

14. Sirguydo

If they're solid porcelain tiles with good adhesive they won't brake or chip mine in our kitchen are way harder than concrete lol
    The thins you drop on the floor break not the other way around lol

Can't be a bit cold though[:s]

15. TSR 2.1 Forum Member

You are spot on they are harder than the concrete and I have been putting the adhesive down on the floor and the back of the tile so there is no question about these not being down securely, the tiles I went for are commercial spec full porcelain and as they have the colour all the way though them if they do chip then it would not show. They also have a R11 slip rating so don't start skidding over them when wet, not tested it with spilt oil yet mind you. I have taken a 1lb hammer to test one of the tiles and it did not even mark it.

They may well be cold if I was to lie on them, but not planing to be doing this going forward ;) and the garage should be quite pleasant this winter as the door is sealed and insulated and the loft is now insulated and a wall is coming down inside the house so guess where the 2 rad's are going that are coming out [:D]

16. TSR 2.1 Forum Member

Thanks, I am taking my time with it and fitting this in round the day job and the list of jobs the good lady has for inside the house :)

I am going to put a rubber mat down but only by the work bench to make it nicer to stand on than the hard tiles.

17. Sirguydo

Epic garage not envious at all lol

18. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

It's looking great! Do you have any neighbours with a piston compressor that sizelol

19. TSR 2.1 Forum Member

1: I do have neighbours
    2: two of said neighbours have air lines that reach to my garage
    3: these big compressors are actually a lot quieter than the wee ones, and it does have the proper rubber mounts on the bottom so that helps a fair bit too.
    4: this has a 150L tank so you can use it a fair bit before it needs topped up ;)

I will be boxing the compressor in a bit and using some old carpet on the wall behind it as this helps.

20. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

Ah, That helps if they are using it alsolol
    I have the same one by the looks of it but different manufacturer, It's loud! I bought a keiser screw one about 6 months ago but linked it to the tank of the piston one so i can use either if the other needs a service or breaks down. The keiser is a lovely machine though with a dryer on the back end. This is for an industrial unit mind, Not the garage.