Keith Murray and the Dialynx 1.4 T 16v 827 Audi 80

Discussion in '16-valve' started by Toyotec, Jul 8, 2015.

1. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

The Dialynx B2 Audi 80. 1.4 Turbo 827 16v.

[​IMG]

At GTI international 2015, I was fortunate enough to have a chat with Mr Keith Murray of Dialynx Performance. He was kind enough to answer my questions about his 400+bhp 1.4 16v Audi 80.
    That's right a 1.4 827 16v motor with a custom turbo, capable of revving to 10krpm!

[​IMG]

I have seen a link about this car on this forum and since then always wanted to know more about this unique beast. Finally I was standing with it's creator and got to have a better understanding of the effort involved into making that powertrain pretty special.

Keith has shared with us some specs of the car for me to list here.

[​IMG]

• Quattro Configuration.
    • S2 6 speed Gearbox fitted with Elite dog box internals.
    • 1415cc down from 1781 via a 76.5mm stroke steel crank made by Farndon.
    • Arrow conrods.
    • Pistons are forged 77mm Renault Turbo items,
    • Custom piper Cams with just under 11mm lift both on inlet and exhaust.
    • 1mm Larger valve for inlet and exhaust.
    • 450bhp at 2.2 bar boost
    • MoTeC M800 ECU

I have also noticed some clever bits of engineering, using fabricated components or from other VW/Audis on this car.

Fabricated north/south turbo manifold

[​IMG]

Extra rocker cover oil separator system, leading to catch can mounted on left wing.

[​IMG]

TFSI COP has served Keith for many races.

[​IMG]

The AEB, Passat/A4 B5 inlet manifold has had the plenum enlarged and neatly integrated to the ABF/ADL low manifold

[​IMG]
    Why use expensive shiny bits when OE ones with some thought can work just as well :clap:

OEM 1.8T fuel rail used as well.

[​IMG]

The net sum of those bits coupled with driver talent, allow the car to be formidable competition in the 2.0 class.

Keith Murray Audi 80.jpg
    Taken from the Dialynx FB page

Credit to Keith :thumbup:

Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
  2. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

cracking car.

3. NBirkitt Forum Member

FYI: We ran a big feature on Keiths 80qu hillclimb car, when it first appeared, in the October 2012 issue of Audi Driver magazine. It was on the front cover ;) www.audidrivermag.co.uk

Neil B

Toyotec likes this.
  4. skywalker38 Forum Member

Were can i buy a copy of that issue?

5. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Its a good write up - its in my 'mags to keep' section of the bookcase

6. Lukeybabes Forum Member

1.4!! What? I forgot to have a good look over this car on the sunday. :(

7. Toyotec

Yup.

Quite a lot of trick parts and know how required to create that 1415cc though. Certainly not your average build!

I also have pictures of your Monza which I can upload later.

8. mk1. Forum Junkie

they know how to build cracking cars:thumbup:
    can you not merge this into the other thread?

9. Toyotec

He does indeed make a cracking engine!

I chose to create a new thread after speaking direct to the owner yesterday about this and at the show. As a result the other old thread was linked to this one :thumbup:

10. Lukeybabes Forum Member

Interesting to know how they decided to build it to a 1.4. Yeah chuck the pictures up on my thread if you like. :thumbup:. Havent seen many pictures from the show around.

11. mk1. Forum Junkie

surely when you have a car this special its better to keep it in one thread:thumbup: or you could end up having thread after thread about the same car taking up forum space[:s]
    still a cracking car,would love to see it close up:thumbup:

12. Toyotec

Surely when you have a car this special, it would be better not to deliberately mess the archived thread up by deliberately disabling the picture links ;)?
    With the greatest of respect, I need not be schooled on how much space the forum has, unless it comes from our IT department. I am happy to let all know, in attempt to make the forum more friendly with mobile devices, we have enough space on this forum for paid members to directly upload pictures or files, let alone for me to share a few words and shared pictures of my positive encounters with individuals like Keith Murray with vehicles of motorsport interest like this B2 Audi 80.

As the forum manager on here, there was full awareness of the other thread started by an ex-member in 2012, it's deliberately broken picture links ( the first post picture was fixed by me) and guess work at the components that created the 1415cc motor.
    As one of the intentions was to bring traffic into the forum by using the "Share" button with Facebook, time was taken to summarise what I was told in verbatim and the thread written/archived as a new entry. I hope you do appreciate that effort.

If you and a majority of members wish for me to merge this experience from GTI international 2015, to a dormant thread from 2012, with broken links then I will consider the massive task of cleaning up the old thread, finding the old pictures to match the broken links and upload direct to the Club GTI server to reconstruct something worthy to be shared with social media.

It is indeed well engineered with the right bits that work. Who knows we might even ask Keith to bring it to an event, so all you have to do is to turn up.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
  13. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Deliberately broken picture links = holding forum to ransom = no care whatsoever for Members.
    To coin a phrase: QED.

14. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Can never have to many good threads like this
    I saw this go down the strip at inters not sure if i got it on video or not will have a look
    If I do I'll post it up
    If not I have the pictures of it waiting to run

15. Lukeybabes Forum Member

I thought it would be for some regulations after I posted it.

16. murph81 Forum Member

I love this car, thanks for sharing!

Toyotec likes this.
  17. Notso Swift Forum Member

God damn Australia and our 1.7 turbo multipliers, would have been nice if I could have replicated something like this
    Anyway I am using a 1.2 TSi and it come in at 2035, and fortunately the capacity class tolerance is 2000cc +2%
    Mine is 2 valve though, the new 4v 1.2 are not suitable with their integrated exhaust manifold