Rx8, 20vt swap

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Suicide-racer, Sep 12, 2015.

1. Suicide-racer Forum Member

Don't know if this will intrest you guys. But I've started to put a 20v turbo in an rx8, the help I've received from rubjonny & toyotec, has been invaluable & convinced me to join the club.

I'll start by copying the first few posts from another forum to get us upto date.
    I've decided that I'm going to do an engine swap in my track car project. More out of curiosity than anything else.
    I've seen a few projects done, but with no real world feedback.

Here's some of the things I'll try show.
    REAL & FULL cost of conversion.
    Time actually spent working on car.
    How car compares once finished (if finished) have my other RX8 to compare it with.
    Cost of any engine modifications. (Again if finished)

I'll keep editing this first post with costs & times.

COSTS.
    RX8 200
    Transporting RX8 90
    Audi engine, loom, ecu & gearbox(will be sold on) 200
    2 sheets of cardboard for adapter plate 4
    sheet of MDF (mock up adapter plate) 10.38
    steal plate for adapter 26.38
    taper bit for adapter plate 10.99
    SAI blanking plate 12

Total so far = 553.75

Upgrades parts costs, not required for swap but I want them
    Exhaust manifold 99

TIME.
    Removing engine & box from Audi 1:15 (was just over an hour, will round things up to the nearest 15 mins)
    Remove engine from RX8 2.30 (lots of swearing involved [-X )
    Sit block in place & take some measurements, experiment with what clutch could work. (Time including picking up parts 2.30
    draw up adapter plate on cardboard 0.45
    center engine in the bay & start to cut the bulkhead. 2.00
    Remove dash & air con unit. Was a pain, but now I've done it I recon I could do it in have the time now. 3.30
    Cut some more from bulkhead. 1.00
    Cut even more from bulkhead to get inlet, cam cover & exhaust manifold on. 4.15
    bulkhead made 5.15
    passengers side engine mount made 4.30
    adapter plate 3.30
    drivers side engine mount 3.30
    loom work so far 4.15
    remove bumper & radiator 2.30
    crank pulley modification & trigger wheel mount. 1.30
    better engine mounts made. 2
    rx8 alternator fitted to VW bracket. 1.30
    flywheel & clutch fitted, engine in place. (time includes freeing off a lot of bolts for subframe, rack & anti-roll bar). 6.15
    modify metal water pipes to fit. 3.15

TOTAL TIME SO FAR. = 55.45

If you can think of anything else, just post up & I'll add it on.
    I have no time limit on this, but will do my best not to let it drag on forever. Finishing off a xr2 turbo track car for a friend over the next week then this is top of the list. :wink:

Engine I will be using is the VAG 1.8 20v turbo, not my first choice of engine. Cheap & plenty available. Massive market for tuning & one of the main reasons was, easy to use standard ecu.

This is the RX8 I bought with low compression for 200
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got the car dropped off to remove the engine from. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll do my best to answer any questions as I go. :wink:

Cheers John

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2018
  2. Suicide-racer Forum Member

Finally got the xr2 I was restoring & convering to a turbo finished & MOT'd last month.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So after taking a few weeks off the REX has finally made it into the garage. :mrgreen:

Cheers John

3. Suicide-racer Forum Member

Removed the engine. Lots of seized & snapped bolts, as the car has been lying by the sea in Wick for 2 years before I bought her. #-o

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now the hard work starts. Collect a loan of a mockup block later this week.

Cheers John

Sirguydo likes this.
  4. Suicide-racer Forum Member

Well picked up a lone of a scrap block for mock up, so stuck it in to take a few measurements.
    [​IMG]

Also got donated a few old flywheels & clutches to have a play with. Have found a mix that might work. 1.9 tdi a4 solid flywheel (if I can find one at a reasonable price) with a 4x4 Sierra Cosworth friction plate & Audi pressure plate. Fly would need a lip machined on it to take the rx8 starter ring gear. Or get a custom fly made to take rx8 clutch. Once adapter plate arrives I can take final measurements & make a decision.
    So most of my time has been spent like this. :roll:
    [​IMG]

Another 2 1/2 hours spent. Including picking up parts donated.

Cheers John

5. Suicide-racer Forum Member

Broke out the CAD (cardboard aided design) to make a start on a mock up adapter plate. First plate will be made out of wood, just to check fitment & I can take all measurements from that. Saves money on wasted steal if it's not right. [-o<

[​IMG]

Cheers John

6. Suicide-racer Forum Member

Offered the wooden mock up adapter up to the VW engine. So far so good. Just need to see if it fits both together. [-o<

[​IMG]

Cheers John

7. Suicide-racer Forum Member

Engine & box bolted together using mock up adapter plate. Time to get engine mounts made, then make room for the head. #-o

[​IMG]

Cheers John

8. Suicide-racer Forum Member

Spent some time, got the engine centred & at the proper hight in the bay. All measurements taken from gearbox on my rotary powered rx.
    [​IMG]

Sat the head on to see how much I'll need to cut the bulkhead. :shock:
    [​IMG]

Some more clearance required, could just use a bigger gearbox adapter, but want engine as far back as possible.
    [​IMG]

Cheers John

9. Suicide-racer Forum Member

Unfortunately I didn't manage to make the road trip this weekend. :roll: But did put some time to good use.

Dash looked so nice at the start of the day.
    [​IMG]

But it had to go.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gave me the acess to cut the bulkhead so I could get the engine as far back as I want. Still lots of clearance needed & then work out how I get a heater back in her. :-k
    [​IMG]

Cheers John

10. Suicide-racer Forum Member

Most of the engine physical in the bay today. Lots had to come out the bulkhead. Need to put a bit of strength back into it next.
    [​IMG]

Inlet on.
    [​IMG]

Exhaust manifold on. This isn't the one I'll be using. Proper one I have has the turbo further forward.
    [​IMG]

View from inside the car. Might not need fancy gauges. Passenger could just lean forward & feel intake & exhaust temps. :p
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bonnet even fits. [:D]
    [​IMG]

Cheers John

11. Suicide-racer Forum Member

That's it upto date as of tonight. Lots of had work ahead. Had lots of negative comments about it. From "no other engine but a rotary should be fitted. Too "why you using that engine there sh***, put a LS1 in it". Some people do like it & love the fact I'm doing something different. Hope you guys will be in that camp & will be willing to help with some advice when needed. ;)

Cheers John

Rayhoop, vw_singh and Nige like this.
  12. Sirguydo

Sirguydo Fastest milkman in the West Paid Member

Loving it :thumbup:
    We really like DIY here , thanks for sharing your work :clap:

13. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

I have so many questions! lol

Does it really need to sit that far back or is that so it will mate up with the RX8 gearbox?

14. Suicide-racer Forum Member

It could have sat a bit further forward with a bigger adapter plate & spigot in flywheel. But with it being a dedicated track car, I'm trying to keep it as close to the rotory location as possible. No matter what people think of these cars, they do corner well. I've also made a rod for my own back in so many ways. Got in a few arguments & said I'd get the engine that far back & I could do the conversion for less that a good rotary rebuild. They are around 2500. Any question please ask. Ill do my best to answer them. :thumbup:

Cheers John

15. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

I love the diy approach, great work. Why a Tdi though for a dedicated track car?

16. Suicide-racer Forum Member

Not tdi, 1.8 20v turbo engine going in.

Cheers John

17. tom1989 Forum Member

Looks like an awesome project.

Have you checked that you'll be able to get the spark plug out of the back cylinder with it being in the bulkhead?

I imagine a ls1 would be fairly heavy in comparison to a 20vt, so this will keep the car closer to it's original handling surely? Pretty good engine choice I reckon, like you said there's plenty of tuning parts around.

What other engines did you consider? Has an impreza engine ever been used? In my mind (I'm not too familiar with impreza engines tbh) it'd put the weight lower down maybe, though would width be an issue?

18. carlg Forum Member

One quick question does the RX8 engine turn the same way as the 1.8t as you could endup with 5 reverse gears if not, nice engine choice what ecu are you planning on using

19. Suicide-racer Forum Member

thats one of the plans for today, get a plug in & coilpack, see if it can be removed. If not back out with the cutter. :cry:

Ls1 is surprisingly light, being all aluminium, but sits wee forward in the bay & needs mods to the subframe & lots of messing with the steering. 1.8 is nice & compact, will sit behind rack like the 13b.

Looked at the Volvo t5, an engine I familiar with (had a few). But it's a bit long. Impreza engine is too wide if I remember correctly. The VAG engine was best bed due to price & the fact there is plenty of them. With it being a track car, I might break one or two. That the reason I don't use my Cossie on track now. At over 2500 an engine, it's just not practical.

Engine turns the same way, thank god. That popped into my head in the middle of the night one night, I had to get up & check. That went down well with the better half. [8(]

ECU will just be the standard me7.5 to start with. As I said in a previous post. I've made a rod for my own back in arguments, that this can be done for under 2500. What happens after that, you never know. It will be in cost and development. ;)

Cheers John

20. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Sorry , I was replying to the wrong thread!

Excellent work , and great engine .