Rx8, 20vt swap

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Suicide-racer, Sep 12, 2015.

1. Suicide-racer Forum Member

Well in answer to the rear coilpack dilemma. No it wouldn't fit with engine in that position. Was going to come on & kid on the idea I came up with was the plan all along. But I thought you guys would see through that.

So after lots of head scratching, couldn't cut enough clearance for it to fit, I noticed because of the cutting done. I could see the coilpack through the scuttle panel. So the plan is to leave an inspection panel when welding back up, so it can be changed by removing the plastic scuttle. Not ideal, but better than an engine out.

2. Suicide-racer Forum Member

With all the messing about worrying about coilpacks, I didn't get much else done. Sat the standard strutbrace back on. Just to show how far back the engine is sitting.
    [​IMG]

Could even sit the engine cover back on if I wanted.
    [​IMG]

Cheers John

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2018
  3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

one thing to check is make sure your desired starter setup spins the engine the right way before you make anything. Was a thread on ed38 that went on for a few pages trying to get the engine fired up. apart from a few other issues one of them turned out to be this!

was a fully spaceframed landrover with 20v and 350z gearbox, pretty bonkers :thumbup:

Nige likes this.
  4. PAB

PAB CGTI Regional Host

I like the look of this, right up my street hats off to you.

Just one quick point, you have used a transverse 1.8t from an A3, would it not have been easier to use a north/south set up 1.8t from a Passat or A4?
    I thought that the oil pump pick up and sump would be different and the turbo set up on the north/south might suit better?

But anyway, this is great and I want to see it running soon, keep at it.

PAB

5. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

The engine sits behind the strutbrace? This is mental lol

Are you going to run the dash & A3 clocks or convert it all to the RX8 stuff?

6. tom1989 Forum Member

I was just having a read through this again to see how this is going and this sprung to mind, beat me to it.

Does anyone know if the sump/pickup is any different between the golf/a3 and the passat/a4 1.8t? If there is a difference could accelerating/braking hard potentially cause oil starvation as it is with the engine being sideways to it's normal orientation, or am I talking rubbish?

You're gonna think that I'm one of those forum wallies that picks holes in everything at this rate... lol I mean well though :thumbup:

Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
  7. Suicide-racer Forum Member

Johnny, plan is to use the rx8 starter in standard position. Flywheel away to get modified as we speak.

PAB, Now have an engine from a Passat. But this was one of the questions that was on my mind. Was going to start a thread in the engine section to see if you guys could help with a few questions I have. Sump, oil pump & pickup was one of the questions.

Mat, you can get a dash controller to run the dash, electric power steering & ABS. Just need to sort a few things with the company that does them to make sure it suits. Other option is. As this is a track car, just make a panel inside the binical to house my own gauges.

Tom, that's exactly why I do these threads. I'm sure there's lots of things I've missed. If they get flagged up at this stage. It could save me an amazing amount of time. So please pick away.

Cheers John

Nige likes this.
  8. m1keh Forum Member

You get G forces from braking and accelerating and from cornering. To the most of extremes the forces created in any of those directions can be pretty similar as it is mostly limited by tyres.

If you were worried about oil starvation you would be fitting a baffled sump anyway to either type of engine in either orientation.

9. 1.8T_mk2

1.8T_mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Good work so far! Will be watching this one to see how it takes shape!

About two years ago when one of my mates worked at Mazda we looked into doing this very conversion! The RX8 has all the right suspension bits to make it handle but just lacks in the engine department imo. Will be very interested to see how it all comes together!

Neil

10. Suicide-racer Forum Member

Started to modify the heater unit. Cutting out the aircon section. Try & make it fit.
    [​IMG]

Will just about fit. Need to fill in the hole made & direct air over the matrix.
    [​IMG]

Cheers John

11. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

How is this build coming along?

12. Suicide-racer Forum Member

Sorry guys not had much time to spend on the car. But managed to get some time during the week to make the adapter plate.
    [​IMG]

Made the new bulkhead this weekend. Have left a removable inspection plate, to allow access to the rear of the engine.
    [​IMG]

Should be enough room for the engine now.
    [​IMG]

Plan of action for this week is to get engine back in with proper plate, make engine mounts & take final measurments for flywheel.

Hope to keep this post moving & updated now. I might need some advice soon with the loom.

Will update time spent ASAP.

Cheers John

13. Suicide-racer Forum Member

Passengers side engine mount tacked up.
    [​IMG]

All welded up.
    [​IMG]

Cheers John

14. Suicide-racer Forum Member

Got the drivers side mount tacked up.
    [​IMG]

All welded up.
    [​IMG]

Mock up engine in, sitting on its own mounts. Still have proper spacers to make to replace washers.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

What do you think so far guys?

Cheers John

15. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Looks good, maybe a little more reinforcement to them?

16. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Following with interest. I know you want the engine as far back as possible, but would it not have saved a lot of work by moving the gearbox forward 4 or 6" and fitting a longer prop?
    Keep it coming.....
    Jon

17. Suicide-racer Forum Member

A few bits & bobs still to be done to the mounts. Just couldn't wait to stick them on & see if they sit ok. I'm worse than a kid.

Jon, there are a few complications with moving the engine forward. If I wanted to move the box. The RX8 has a carbon propshaft, so it's unable to be modified, it would have been a full custom prop. It also has no gearbox of diff mount, it has a spine that runs down the drivetrain. Meaning custom mounts & strengthen the floor to mount them. There isn't as much room in front of the engine as there looks. Just in front of the bottom of the engine there is a crossmember that carries the steering rack. Also made a bit of a rod for my back on the rx8 club, by staying I could get it sitting in the same place as the rotary. :(

Cheers John

18. Suicide-racer Forum Member

Made a start on the loom.

Wish I'd never got one from a Passat. This foam/tar is a nightmare :(
    [​IMG]

Have got it this far.
    [​IMG]

Fair bit still to do before I can start cutting & modding it. :cry:

Cheers John

19. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

oh yes I feel your pain. I made the mistake of agreeing to do a passat loom for someone, never, ever, ever again :lol:

20. Suicide-racer Forum Member

In all fairness, in one of my very first posts, you did try to warn me off a Passat or a4 loom. But when I was getting everything quite cheap I thought to myself, how bad can it really be. Now I know & trust me lesson learned. [8(]

Cheers John