Brentacre Insurance
Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: My Off-RED 1.8 20vT MK2 - Time for the 02j swap - We Have A Gearbox.

Thanks

Default My Off-RED 1.8 20vT MK2 - Time for the 02j swap - We Have A Gearbox.

Hello,
    I'm mainly doing this so I can look back at it and see how far it's come, or not come! I suppose you guys can have a look too!

Yesterday I picked up my first Mk2 Golf, 1.8 Driver needing a lot of work, purchased from someone on here. I'm treating it as a project to get it back to it's former glory, but it's going to take me a while!

I'm a novice when it comes to cars, I've obviously got an idea of how they work etc and i'm not bothered about getting my hands dirty. I'm going to be doing all the work myself to get it back on the road, then sorting the cosmetic stuff later, I just want to start driving her and i love the sleeper look

The previous owner done quite a lot of work on the car, it's been converted to 5 stud, fully poly-bushed Mk3 Wide-track set-up. Which i've been told is a good thing. It's already got some lovely cheap coilovers on there, which will do for the time being, but i hate the ride of my polo on cheap coilovers so they won't be on there long, hopefully pick up a semi decent set second hand. Loads of other things too with a stack of receipts, which I left with in Oxfordshire, but they should be on their way to me this week.

My plans with the car are to get it on the road, hopefully by the end of October. With now being back at college studying HnD Aeronautical Engineering and working 35 hours a week, I only get one full day off a week, and evenings. But with it getting dark early now the evenings it's not going to be ideal.

Then it's getting the outside looking presentable, there's a little rust hole on the rear below the boot which needs sorting but this seems to be the only bit of rust I can actually find on the car so far! The paint needs a bloody good polish and it'll come up pretty nice from the little bit I done earlier.

Things that I want to change:
    Go back to an original twin headlight grille,
    Get some decent looking alloys,
    Better suspension,
    Get the engine bay looking mint, maybe smoothing it in the process, not sure yet,
    Get the inside looking decent, new interior, spray the bare metal bits back to the original colour as they are all chipped and scuffed,

The list will get a lot longer.. If you have anything you think I might like/want, let me know!

Tomorrow I'm going to start making a list of things I need and then I can get ordering parts, It'll be like an early Christmas

This is how she stands:

Apparently these panels are supposed to be straight?

I've already got the lower valance to replace the super rusty one

And the interior, well.. I started hoovering it out earlier and gave up. This is all going!

Last edited by Savagesam; 13th February 2018 at 23:59.

Thanks

Soo.. The ball has started rolling! Today was the first day i've actually been able to work on her. I also received all the paper work, including MOT failures.

So the first thing to do was get rid of and the lower valence:

Previous owner loved a cable tie! The lower plastic was held on with them and screws.

When taking that off I noticed there was a leak coming from somewhere, but that's a problem for another day. Oh and here's something I didn't mention
    It needs a bloody good clean and a shine up!

I then employed a slave to help out with the exhaust, which was also held on by cable ties!!

Say hello to Charlie! He doesn't work on cars, he is a gamer and rarely sees sunlight so this is like the first step on the moon for him! He also tightened up the rear wheel bearings, took the rear carpet out and gave it a clean.

Front coilovers off ready for new top mounts and exhaust off to be clean and fitted properly.

I got bored of taking pictures at this point but we got the exhaust back on with no leaks and fitted properly this time. New top mounts for the front, was good fun with stuck adjustment things!
    Also got the offside rear door opening, the nearside handle is knackered so need to order a new one along with window and door seals.

I'm not even going to look at the paint work yet, want to get it mechanically sound first then worry about cosmetics later!
    Last edited by Savagesam; 18th January 2016 at 17:50.

Thanks

good progress
    Remember and check your membership renewal date
    Paid membership only £10 in the club shop now with paypal click here

Thanks

Good project. It reminds me of my first Golf MK2 which was a 1.8 Driver in the same colour, I think.

Looking at the area on the sill where you've put it on a stand, I'd advise having a good look at the underside of that one, removing any damaged underseal and treating any rusty metal. Then coat affected areas with something like POR-15 or Epoxy Mastic 121, followed by underbody sealant. Actually it looks like it's sound enough but just wants some new layers of protection.
    MSDroid - the Android dashboard, logging and tuning application for Megasquirt ECUs

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Trev16v View Post
    Good project. It reminds me of my first Golf MK2 which was a 1.8 Driver in the same colour, I think.

Looking at the area on the sill where you've put it on a stand, I'd advise having a good look at the underside of that one, removing any damaged underseal and treating any rusty metal. Then coat affected areas with something like POR-15 or Epoxy Mastic 121, followed by underbody sealant. Actually it looks like it's sound enough but just wants some new layers of protection.
    Yeah, I did start pulling off the sticker and gave it a stab with a screwdriver and it's solid, just needs cleaning up.

I'm a bit undecided what to do, it will become my daily as I can't afford to keep two cars on the road (the polo will probably go to my brother to drive if we passes) but I kind of want to make it a bit of a track day car, strip out the rear interior, add more power, better handling. But this then makes it a bit impractical, only being able to fit me and one other.

I say all this, I've only driven the car round my street, thought **** me, this is fast and stopped driving it as well it's not legal I may not even like driving it!

Paid Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Savagesam View Post
    say all this, I've only driven the car round my street, thought **** me, this is fast
    Only because you haven't mentioned it earlier, but you know that it's got a 2.0L 16v ABF engine, not the original 1.8, right?
    Looks like a nice little project. I'm a novice with car mechanics too but the great thing about these Golfs is that they're pretty easy to work on (compared to modern cars) and it's easy to get bits for them.
    Good luck with it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bootsie View Post
    Only because you haven't mentioned it earlier, but you know that it's got a 2.0L 16v ABF engine, not the original 1.8, right?
    Looks like a nice little project. I'm a novice with car mechanics too but the great thing about these Golfs is that they're pretty easy to work on (compared to modern cars) and it's easy to get bits for them.
    Good luck with it.
    Yeah I do. Was one of the main reasons I purchased it to be honest. Otherwise I would have got a 1.6 in better condition!

Yeah, I'm pretty good with taking stuff apart etc but I don't have some of the special tools yet so I spent most of the day packing up to go buy another tool I needed or something like that!

It's all good fun, can't wait to get it on the road

Thanks

Mine started out as a 1.8 driver

Nice project. Will keep an eye on this one

Thanks

Done a little bit today, not many pictures as it was all little things and not picture worthy!

I did though, pull the sticker off properly and had a decent stab and pulled some of the crap away. It's solid just surface rust, i'll clean it up properly and treat it.

I had a proper look under the engine bay, and some of the electrics. The fog lights didn't work, head lights didn't, and found loads of plugs and stuff that aren't plugged into anything, guessing they weren't needed for the ABF conversion.
    A random earth cable, and loads of plugs, most of which i'm guessing are for the twin grille.

So I went rummaging, checking fuses, relays etc see if anything had gone, nope all fine. Fog light on the rear just needed a new bulb, sorted nice and quickly! The headlights, not so easy, checked wiring, fuses, got under the bonnet and checking the wiring and found that one wasn't even plugged in, oops! Then found that brown earth cable, usually meant to be earthing something right? Well it turned out to be for the headlights so I connected it up to another ground and bingo!

So when looking for fuses and stuff I was presented with this horrible sight.

I then dug a little further and wow!

Not been de-imbolised, but i knew that anyway. Not a clue what the box is for or that other thing. And way to much electrical tape for my liking. When I take the engine out I'm going to have a properly look at the wring, soldier it up and use heat shrink.

Also found these which are apparently for the rear anti-roll bar that came with the car

Despite not looking much lower than the Polo it definitely sits much lower underneath!

Few bits came today, new door handle for the rear, fitted now have working door. Picked a spare alloy up from a mate for £35 with a pretty much brand new tyre on it as my offside rear was bald, due to, too many lows Weighted gear thing, some more exhaust rubbers as one I put back on was starting to perish.

Waiting on gearbox oil, a linkage rebuild kit.

These are the failures and advisories for the MOT.

Fails:

Rear body has a sharp edge caused by corrosion - Can't find.
    Main beam tell tale is not working?
    Nearside rear door - Done
    Offside rear door - Done
    Offside headlamp not working in dipped - Done
    Rear fog lamp not working - Done
    center exhaust has a big leak - Done
    exhaust not supported properly - Partially done
    offside front suspension component something inadequetily repaired. ??

Advisory:

Rear brake pipe slightly corroded - Who cares? Will get sorted but not yet.
    Offside rear tyre worn to legal limit - Done
    nearside rear wheel bearing - Done
    offside rear wheel bearing - Done
    coolant leak
    oil leak
    play in steering rack
    front panel rusty - Replaced
    Rear suspension top mounts? - They feel fine.. Hmm.. Poly too!
    offside steering rack gaitor split

Also,

I need some help, today I started it up to move it on the drive so I could work on it and left it running as I could hear a rattle and wanted to invested, turned out to be the exhaust shield thing was slightly loose. As i revved it it got worse, and it warmed up and got to a point where I revved it up and it would stick at whatever Revs it was up to, say 3000rpm. I thought the pedal may have got stuck but wasn't that simple. So I'm guessing that the throttle cable is sticking? I will need to investigate another day as I'm off out soon but any suggestions? I had a quick google and some people are saying about an ISV? Not sure what that is but yeah.
    Last edited by Savagesam; 9th October 2015 at 18:15.

Thanks

Nice looking project, same colour and same amount of doors as my 1.3 CL (which is ABF'd of course)

one thing i notice is that your wishbones are pointing upwards where it is quite low
    while it looks good this low, driveability is being sacrificed. wishbones pointing up = bump steer.

Look forward to seeing more progress

Mine does this if i rev is when i am not going anywhere, revs take a while to drop again.
    ISV = Idle Stabilisation valve.
    It is located on the front of the engine at the top, under the plastic cover.
    It would be a good idea to check for air leaks from the pipework in that area.
    Last edited by twolitrepinto; 9th October 2015 at 19:38.

Mk2 1.6 driver 3dr now running Widetrack and ABF 2.0 16v - View thread

Forum User
    Thanks

^ forward to the above worth removing and give it a good squirt with some carb cleaner and rub all the bits you can get into with pipe cleaner to get any of the **** out of it, reconnect and may notice a difference.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by twolitrepinto View Post
    Nice looking project, same colour and same amount of doors as my 1.3 CL (which is ABF'd of course)

one thing i notice is that your wishbones are pointing upwards where it is quite low
    while it looks good this low, driveability is being sacrificed. wishbones pointing up = bump steer.

Look forward to seeing more progress

Mine does this if i rev is when i am not going anywhere, revs take a while to drop again.
    ISV = Idle Stabilisation valve.
    It is located on the front of the engine at the top, under the plastic cover.
    It would be a good idea to check for air leaks from the pipework in that area.
    It is actually much lower than I want and looks to low, I think it looks a bit silly, it needs to go up but haven't got round to doing it yet that's all. I mean, driving the Polo low is a PITA, and this is much lower so I can only imagine it's basically impossible to drive!

I shall have a look into it, there doesn't seem to be much about it on tinternet.

Quote Originally Posted by BISSONE View Post
    ^ forward to the above worth removing and give it a good squirt with some carb cleaner and rub all the bits you can get into with pipe cleaner to get any of the **** out of it, reconnect and may notice a difference.
    Thanks, i'll give it a go.

I'm in two minds about putting it on the road once it'll pass it's MOT. I kinda want to leave it off and just get a load of work done but then I also want to drive it!!

Thanks

Not really done much on the car as of late due to poor weather and lack of time and funds.

I did manage to get an interior for £40! Wanted for the carpet and door cards, the seats were a bonus. Can you swap the backs over? If so, i'll swap the passenger side onto the drivers and make my seat decent! Also a few other bits and bobs came.

And it had some Sony speakers in the front too which is a bonus!

I cleared out my nan's garage yesterday in hope to put the car in there to work on over the coming weeks so I can work past 6:30 and actually get some bits done after work. It turns out you can't fit a Mk2 in there though! I started to drive in and it got stuck both sides on the door handles Now to find somewhere else to work!

Forum User
    Thanks

nice project,i too have a driver which has had an abf conversion,

enjoy sorting out the little niggles but it will come together

Thanks

Had a long day today, started working on the car at 10am and finished at 8pm, then off to the cinema to watch Martian. It's a good film and definitely worth a watch if anyone is interested!

So my parts stash has been growing over the past week or so, some of which hasn't turned up still
    To fit I had:

Complete gear linkage,
    All new exhaust rubbers,
    New interior,
    New ISV,
    Fit new indicator stalk which I didn't actually need as it does work, the light just doesn't come on.
    And a couple of other little bits.

So I thought i'd tackle what i thought would be the hardest job, the gear linkage!

I went and had a look under the bonnet to find the upper part of it, and to find a weighted link already in there, that's a waste of a tenner straight off.
    I tried to use Rubjonny's guide to change it, got bored of reading after one picture and just went for it.

So once it was out, didn't take long at all, I was presented with this..

Well apparently there is supposed to be some bushings and other stuff in there too.. Replacing the orange bush was a PITA!! But managed to do it after standing on it, stabbing it, lubing it, hitting it and more standing it slid into place.

I replaced everything that I could that wasn't metal, including all the bits that weren't actually there. This was all that I was left with once I put the new ones in which is worrying!

Put it all back together and then started on the lower, which I did use Rubjonny's guide for, I realised once replacing the bottom ball that my top one was fubar so John used his magical program to find me the part number and i've got one on order! Thanks for that

All back together and looking and feeling much better - Some poly bush goodness there

I adjusted the front coilovers up by 10mm as it was too low at the front, I couldn't be bothered to do the back as it was seized, so I'll take them both off and take them into work to free them up and get them adjusted.

I found my first and only bit of structural rust I was showing my dad how dirty it was and noticed it in the picture, not even when looking at it

Because Race Car

I was going to put the new interior in and couldn't due it being so dirty my brain almost had a meltdown, So i literally took everything in the back out, from the steering wheel back it's gone! Seat belts, door cards, carpets, the lot! And started my clean. I want to spray the back where it's all chipped and messy so it'll look as good as new, but obviously needs to be clean and sanded back.. yaaay!

I bought a wire disk for my angle grinder which is great, attacked a couple of little bits of surface rust on the inner doors etc ready for paint. I'm going to see if i can get some sanding disks for it, if not, i'll just buy a sander, no way am I doing all that by hand!

I also made a right mess my parents weren't happy when they got in!

ISV Question:

I've replaced the ISV, it seems to be working okay, my seal is a bit knackered so i'm going to pick a new one up from TPS tomorrow so i'm sure this isn't helping but..

It now doesn't climb revs or stick, like it was doing, I haven't driven it to test properly but it doesn't seem to be. Although now the idle seems to be a lot higher? It sits at around 1750RPM now, which obviously sounds silly and is annoying! I've read that this could be due to the temp sensor? Or will I just have to adjust the idle?

PS:

This forum needs spoiler tags, they are so handy

Thanks

tidy i remember your dad doing the polo
    look forward to seeing how this progress
    Remember and check your membership renewal date
    Paid membership only £10 in the club shop now with paypal click here

Thanks

Yeah but the polo was done in a workshop, by a man with all tools, paint booth etc to his disposal and 20+ years of experience.. This is being done by a 19yr old, on my drive, with tools as I buy them, and very little knowledge of cars but I am good with a spanner!

Went to buy some Ronal Tubro's today but car insurance screwed up so now that's a no go.

And I've decided the car is staying off the road for a while so I can get it looking/working better!

Thanks

Done a little more yesterday, I was planning to spray it today but I went out clubbing last night and feel a little worse for ware so I just chilled in bed all day.

I had a bit of surface rust on the join under the seal and a few other little bits along the inside of the door. So I sanded it back, and primed. This is my first time spraying anything that I want to look good so i'm a bit nervous!
    It needs a couple more coats and some sanding.

Then I went nuts on the boot... It was all nasty and looked like crap so I went nuts with a sanding wheel on my grinder. I then went over it by hand and made sure it all was decent.

I was basically a smurf by this point.. My mum kept laughing at me when she bought out coffee

Then cleaned with some alcohol to remove all the crap.

Then all masked up and into primer! I may have forgotten the nearside strut as I came across when spraying.. Ah well!

Hopefully i'll get it finished on Friday.

Obviously took the tail lights out so I didn't catch the inside of them and I didn't want to mask it all back up again later on so I just put bags over them to stop water getting in and then shut the boot.

I've got a couple of bits of rust that need sorting, I just need to find a welder to borrow for dad to weld it up.

Thanks

This is where she was left.. for about a week as crappy weather meant I couldn't get out there to get it painted and it's still not finished.. I've finished the left half of the boot which looks much better now!

The rest is just little things i've been doing.

I've sorted the coolant leak. Not sure where it was coming from but Radweld seems to have sorted it.

I got the front interior back in once it had a good clean and hoover, cleaned the dash, steering wheel and all them bits. Looks a million times better now. Also newer, cleaner carpet went in the front.

I went to put the centre console in and saw the state of it.. Think you can tell what's going to happen!

I thought i'd lost the screws in that cubby hole

Found out why the drivers door wouldn't lock. Can you buy that top bit that screws on? Or can you replace it? There is 1 mk2 up the scrap yard at the moment and if that bit is in tact then I can pinch it tomorrow!
    Don't really want to buy new lock as the key matches all the way round the car at the moment and it's really nice to have.

And I employed a cleaner, well he turned up without permission and just made things hard work!

I need to give the whole car a decent polish and wax but it takes such a long time I cannot bring myself to do it after i'll really be able to tell how bad the paint it!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,158 Times in 847 Posts

Looks like a lot of work on the rear boot floor !

I`m assuming you are leaving it bare metal seeing as you went to so much effort to rub it all back ?

"Main beam tell tale is not working?" I suspect that`s the blue indicator that comes up on the dash when you turn on the Main Beam.

The gearchange will feel far better after replacing those knackered bushes

Thanks

I will be yeah, most of the time unless i'm putting my bike in the back as I really do hate roof racks on these, despite it being so practical but hey ho.

Yeah it is, i've changed it and it's working now, a nice easy fix.

It does, so much so. I've just got the top bit I was waiting on through the post so i'll be replacing the bottom ball and that next week hopefully.

I had to move it over so my parents friends could park on the drive and it wouldn't start, just kept turning over.. silly me, left the fuel pump disconnected.. Again!

I wish I could be outside working on it now rather than changing the water cooling in my PC again because it can be done in the dry with some light
    Last edited by Savagesam; 14th November 2015 at 21:15.

Thanks

I'm really finding it hard to get the time to work on her at the minute which is really frustrating as I just want to drive her but other things come first.

Oh the plus side! I now think she's ready to go for her MOT!

I'm going to drive it around for the winter as it's basically impossible to do any cosmetic work this time of year so I'm going to do it next year, which will also give me a couple of months to get some money together to pay to get some bits done. Eventually it's going for a full respray but that won't happen whilst being a student, unless student finance want to give me more money!

Almost finished spraying the boot which I will get pictures of, it needs a light sanding and going over again to make it look just that little bit better but I ran out of paint tonight.

Got the high beam light working but it seems I have a dodgy indicator stalk, which I did buy but didn't think I needed, glad I didn't send it back now.

Started the strip out..

Some absolutely filthy clocks

LED's out..

Also my heater didn't work, turns out it wasn't plugged in!

This is all really boring, tedious stuff..

Can't wait for the new year to take the engine out and spray the bay, clean up the engine maybe even strip it down! This is the exciting stuff, but the little bits have got to be done too

Thanks

Connected it back up and I now have no speedo, oops. Out it comes!

I gave her a proper clean today. First went over with a clay bar, T cut and then polished her and my god does it look a million times better! The paint is so shiny, the polish bottle wouldn't even stand on it without sliding off. Obviously there is still loads of dents and marks but she looks so much better now.

This was the offside wing before cleaning started.

Forum Junkie
    Thanks

Nice progress! Keep at it!

With the speedo not working you can stick your hand up from below the clocks and push the cable in a bit more see if that'll fix it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WillG View Post
    Nice progress! Keep at it!

With the speedo not working you can stick your hand up from below the clocks and push the cable in a bit more see if that'll fix it.
    That's good to know, also nice as i've got all the plastics off from the dash anyway so it'll be easier to get too.

----

Talking about the inside. I really like the look of no centre console but it leaves the shifter hole open, anyone see one with it removed and a way to make it look pretty around the gear stick?

And my thought it was fixed but still not fixed high idle stick has come back. And the reason it was idling high was because there was a wire for something, which isn't connected to anything yet has a plug on it, getting stuck behind the throttle cable so this may have also been the cause of the idle sticking when at high revs. It gets to 6k pretty quick, so it doesn't take much to get there!

I think I need a new engine mount at the front as I noticed the engine was moving loads when under the bonnet trying to find any vacuum leaks or anything like that. The front pulls up loads. I have heard the G60 mounts are a lot more solid, is this the way to go?

I really want to leave the interior out of the back as I don't really have anyone in there. But I think it'll look stupid as it's a 4 door.

My mate got this picture of her the other day when it was cleaned. I am so surprised as to how well it came out.

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast