Electric impact wrench

Discussion in 'Tools, Equipment & Fasteners' started by nawaters, Mar 14, 2016.

1. nawaters New Member

Hi all

Started working on the mk2 today, I'm doing a complete front end suspension/steering overhaul, I've encountered a slight problem undoing the top mounts, using a 22mm swan neck spanner and Allen key on a ratchet and I've snapped 3 Allen keys and now the last one is well and truly stuck inside the top of the coilover.

No doubt I'm not the only one to experience this, sadly I don't have the luxury of an air line and air tools.
    What are the electric impact guns like? Do you think it's got the balls to buzz the nut off the top mount?

Just been looking at reviews but wanted to get some opinions before I get the hump do any further damage.

Thanks in advance.

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

I use my Milwaukee 18v, works a treat. And it's the small One.

3. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I've got a 120 Clarke one, bought it about 2 weeks ago and it's done everything I've tried to undo, everything suspension, engine mounts, gearbox. It's doing great so far! I still double check how tight things are but even with a breaker bar everything seems FT.

Batteries took a couple of cycles to get stronger.

It depends on what you want to spend, 400 will get you a lovely snap on one. I don't plan on doing much apart from wheel nuts when the car is back together so I didn't want to spend loads this definitely does the job!

4. Hotgolf

Hotgolf Paid Member Paid Member

I have a cheap 75 one off eBay, 24v with 2 nicads. It's not a li-on battery and it's not overly light but the last one lasted over 10 years of serious work before I melted the battery. So I bought the same and now have 2 and they work excellently!

5. Finite

Finite Paid Member Paid Member

Occasionally there are good deals on Dewalt 710W 240V impact drivers. It won't help you in a scrap yard, but they don't need charging and you won't lose any of the 440Nm as you would when the batteries age.

RobT likes this.
  6. Dox! Forum Member

Can you drive to the nearest garage and get them to buzz them loose for a drink / Ginsters?

Nightroamer likes this.
  7. Ben_s Forum Member

I bought a 240v Clarke one for about 65 quid thinking it would be rubbish but with the possibility of being handy now and then. Its actually pretty good, it managed to get the hub nut off the front while the wheels were off the ground.

I may have forgotten to break it loose with the wheel on the floor. Removed both front wheels, brakes, inner cv bolts then realised I'd forgotten to do the hub nut lol

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

8. m1keh Forum Member

If you already have a makita* drill 18v drill then the impact wrench bodies make a good option to share batteries etc.

Or dewalt or an other generic tool make.

Nightroamer likes this.
  9. valvemiester

valvemiester Paid Member Paid Member

I used a dewalt one at a breakers to remove those top mount nuts it whipped them off without breaking a sweat pity its a 300 impact gun

10. nawaters New Member

Thanks for all the input, after reading the comments I went and purchased one in the end 70 Clarke one from machine mart, runs off the mains as I couldn't justify the cost of a battery one.
    One of the best tools and I wish I'd purchased one years ago, managed to drop the subframe, get the rack out in half the time it worked a treat.

I came across a few other really tough bolts that the impact gun just buzzed off after about 10 seconds.

Thanks again

Nightroamer likes this.
  11. K7aus

K7aus Paid Member Paid Member

Lidl 240v Impact wrench available from the 28th March onwards 29.99

Not the most beefiest bit of kit but possible the cheapest impact wrench i've seen for sale brand new

http://www.lidl.co.uk/en/our-offers-2491.htm?action=showDetail&id=32190

Spec:
    Max. loosening torque (Nm): 320
    Max. tightening torque (Nm): 100 (safety limited)
    No-load rotation speed (rpm): 3,600
    Tool holder: 1/2" external square

Finite likes this.
  12. Finite

• For direct drilling into concrete and wood, loosening tight screws or assembling car wheels
    • High-power mechanism with safety limited torque to avoid damage to the workpiece or rims
    • With robust metal mechanism housing, non-slip soft grip handle and selector switch for right/left rotation
    • Includes carry case with compartments, 4 impact wrench sockets (SW 17, 19, 21, 22) and 2 spare carbon brushes
    • 450W
    Specifications:

• Max. loosening torque (Nm): 320
    • Max. tightening torque (Nm): 100 (safety limited)
    • No-load rotation speed (rpm): 3,600
    • Tool holder: 1/2" external square

I just bought a mini compressor from there. So far so good, very quiet and a nice hefty steel encased motor on it.

13. Finite

Seems like they were in demand at that price because despite the weather it took a trip to the next town for the folks to pick one up for me.

EDIT: Apparently none were delivered to my local store for some reason.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
  14. Finite

I'm about to replace this 30 Lidl special with with a proper tool as I had to resort to a cracking bar to release some over tightened wheel nuts (not mine). I find the 320Nm questionable.

The Ultimate Speed compressor is still going strong albeit with a replacement power switch.

15. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

My 1/2 Snap On impact gun is going strong. Although, Ive heard the Milwaukee ones are good.

16. Finite

I'm definitely looking for a unit that can share its batteries with other drills/drivers etc.

17. beetie

beetie Forum Member

Kielder get very good reviews

18. Sirguydo

Sirguydo Fastest milkman in the West Paid Member

I love my Makita stuff now theyve sorted the problems they had with early 3.0ah batteries .
    Buy a drill / impact driver set with two 4 or 5 ah batteries and a charger then you can buy any bare tool you like off eBay .

Milwaukee are also good Ive heard from friends .

19. Lukeybabes Forum Member

I love my milwaukee one. I've got one of the big 3/4 inch drive ones too. 1600nm loosening torque ;)

20. Finite

I'd prefer to buy Makita, but I like the higher torque of Dewalt on specific tools. Their 1/2" impact claims to have 1625Nm of loosening torque, 950Nm otherwise. One ebay seller says he has 3 returns a week from buyers saying it's too big. I don't know if it's after they've loosened a tricky nut with it though ;) 3.3Kg is pretty heavy.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018