'89 Golf Mk2 TDi Build Thread

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by DN5, Apr 11, 2016.

1. DN5

DN5 Paid Member Paid Member

I'm sure I've already got the doner cars uj on there but it just seemed like there was a fair bit of play in the wheel when grabbed at 3 and 9 o'clock and wobbled. I'll double check anyway..

I think I'll measure the sub frame to the chassis legs and chassis rails etc to try determine if it's out. I have had the wings off and maybe just out of line but I doubt the wings are that far out.

Cheers rubjonny

2. DN5

And if it is the subframe it only needs to move 1/4 inch to one side then it'd be right. I'll measure the tracking and wind that somewhere near perfect and go from there. The eyes can deceive when stuff like that is out. [:D]

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

you would know about it if the UJ was wrong for the rack, it would either not fit at all or there would be so much play the teeth wouldn't engage. Often the allen head bolt that holds the ignition hosing to the column tube works loose, easy check ;)

4. DN5

No I mean with the steering lock engaged, go outside and grab the pass or drivers front wheel at 3 and 9 o'clock and rattle it. Too much play in my opinion. Everything was tightened up on build up so I'm a little worried. Also when I moved the car up the driveway I had it running and sat in it so actually drove it but the wheel kept going extra light and jolting side to side. I'll keep going and give it a proper road test.

5. rubjonny

yeah thats not down to the wrong UJ being fitted, though it might be knackered of course. Get someone to work the steering while you watch inside the bay, my steerign rack nuts worked loose and the rack started moving side to side

6. DN5

I'll double check all the bolts on the column and get a helper to sit and watch.
    I used the doner car before stripping it and it was fine but it could have become poorly while sat in the garage for a year!

I have the mk2 rack if I need to use it but again I don't fancy removing that now it's all built up! I'll have another look.

7. DN5

Having a go at sorting the issue with the alligent today and I'm unsure on something....
    Why is it that they say you should ONLY adjust the right side? Or drivers side on UK car?
    I have 2 adjustable tierod ends and don't see what difference it makes so long as the steering rack is central before I start and go from there?

8. rubjonny

its so garages thruout the years wont adjust random sides off and on, eventually putting the rack off centre basically. the idea is if the left side is set to a factory fixed length then the rack should stay roughly central if adjustments are only made on the left side.

the factory settings go out the window when you start wide tracking it though I found :lol:

9. DN5

Haha yeah that's definitely the case for me also! I'll get the rack as central as possible then go from there.

I've been searching the net framtically to solve the issue with the wheel poke but don't think moving the subframe will cure it so I'll start with tracking and see how it looks. I'm confident camber is decent enough already although both will be laser aligned once i satisfy this issue.

10. DN5

Doing a million jobs at once like usual. Never got round to looking at the alignment. Instead my new emerald 3d tach converter came rsz_20171206_165729.jpg
    , has 4 wires, 12+, ground, ecu pin 2 (input to converter) and to dash tacho (output from converter).
    As pin 2 on the TDI ecu originally fed back to the clocks with its reading, is it not possible to snip the wire at G1/12 and fit input wire to ecu side of snip and output wire to fuse box side of snip?

It saves snipping one wire near ecu and one wire near the clocks....would that work?
    Rich

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  11. rubjonny

Yep that's exactly how I would recommend you do it. The ignition feed could be tapped to G2/4 if you like, or d plug

12. DN5

I thought it seemed right but have read others had done all sorts of tapping in here and there lol

13. DN5

rsz_20171212_144622.jpg
    20171212_165910.jpg

The second photo is well out.
    Not the subframe im certain, so sure it must be camber & toe illusion!

14. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

That fitment yoooo!!

I'm not a fan of the much 'poke' but everything else is looking good. keep it up!

15. DN5

Thanks man. I want to pull it in slightly but happy with it so far :thumbup:

Still a long way off....
    rsz_20171212_115515.jpg
    rsz_20171212_115609.jpg

16. DN5

Rear beam refurb :)
    rsz_20171111_102338.jpg

rsz_120171116_140649.jpg

Nice and fresh with new lines, clips, handbrake cables, poly bushes and mk4 rear calipers :thumbup:

17. DN5

Getting out of the Christmas spirit and back into the norm today lol
    Routing the wiring back in towards the tailgate. All good but seem to be missing heated rear screen and number plate lights.
    I'm left with these at the rear near side light.
    I'm sure the extension I'm holding is for tailgate open/close button but what are the other 2 plugs?
    rsz_20171227_151919.jpg
    If they are heated window and number plate lights I might have to make up some more runs. Deffo don't have them :cry:

18. DN5

Ok from what I can work out....

The loom I'm holding is the tailgate switch and luggage compartment light.

Top white connector is wiper stuff?

Black connector is both number plate lights AND demister?

Brown ring is earth next to tail light?

Need to make up some runs of wire because I don't have any of the above *sigh

19. DN5

Managed to use some plastic water/air tube to feed through the tailgate and then tape the wires to it and pull through.
    Worked a treat :thumbup:

rsz_20171228_123220.jpg

I wasn't 100% on the rear demister wiring but put one side to the switched live and one side to ground. We will see lol

And finished off some sound deadening while back here
    rsz_120171228_123200.jpg

rsz_20171228_145949.jpg

Rear lights need some new seals as they are leaking a touch so no fitting carpets yet.

Cheers.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  20. rubjonny

on the black plug white wire is screen heater, green/grey is plate lights. on the other plug thats your wiper wires. You should also have earths for all of the above out the tailgate to a ring terminal that earths behind the boot carpet that side. on the other side its just the washer pipe and earth for the screen