Mk1 ABF No Start / Spark

Discussion in '16-valve' started by cartertronic, Apr 12, 2016.

1. cartertronic New Member

Bah.. Google Photos is a pain in the a$$, bring back Picasa!

Ok, try now.. it's the big rubber diaphragm in between the fuel rail pieces

PS - It's completely back to normal size now

2. lufbramatt Forum Member

Really interesting photos, thanks for posting. I have a suspected injector issue at the moment on my ABF. How does the fuel rail come apart? Don't want the break anything by prying where I shouldn't...

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

ooof now thats pretty bad!

aha, that seal. the only one I didnt think of :lol: That one is 037971786B, NLA from VW but you can get it from classic parts again. try http://www.deutsche-parts.co.uk/ he can get bits from classic :)

4. cartertronic New Member

No problem! There are two torx head bolts on the engine side of the fuel rail (so you'll have to remove the rail first). Be careful when undoing them, they were quite stiff and the heads wanted to slip/strip.

[​IMG]

Thanks mate! I'll give the old one (and the fuel rail) a good rinse in petrol and try it first; if I can get rid of all contaminants from the fuel rail, and the seal doesn't expand when exposed to petrol/pressure.. it should be fine.

5. lufbramatt Forum Member

Fantastic, that makes sense, thanks for the info!

6. cartertronic New Member

Hey all,

Finally got hold of the new seal, installed it and...
    [video=youtube_share;1DhEzkKZjVc]https://youtu.be/1DhEzkKZjVc[/video]

All injectors firing [:D]

Reassembled everything and turned the key. It sounded like it was firing, but not enough to kick...

On closer inspection, I noticed smoke coming out of the air filter...
    [video=youtube_share;NkBS3e7RxCU]https://youtu.be/NkBS3e7RxCU[/video]

Is it possible that the starter motor is turning the wrong way?! Only other thing I could think of was exhaust valves are blocked / fixed shut, but seems unlikely.

Camshaft is spinning clockwise (looking from timing belt / drivers side), that's correct right?

EDIT - Looking at YouTube videos of ABFs starting, clockwise seems to be the right way.

Other alternative is timing issue I guess...

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  7. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

alr4ight thats good news! next step is get the compression checked make sure all is fine there. check the plugs while there see what condition they're in, with all this messing about I wouldnt be surprised if they were caked up in rubbish and need a damn good clean

8. cartertronic New Member

Hey all, how time flies! Hope you're all well :)

Since last post, I've had a hell of a year!! I travelled the USA (LA, Portland, Reno, Burning Man! SF, Dallas, NY, Detroit), drove a Tesla Model S (0-100km in 2.7, booya!), got engaged (!!), had a startup receive funding (side biz I don't work in directly), get promoted in my day job, and finally... finaaallllly diagnose the problem with the ABF, no compression due to cylinder wall damage and gummed up rings.

Long story short, some water must have got into the cylinders while it was being removed in the UK or transport to the AU. There is minor indents from rust in the cylinder walls which means rebore. Everything else works though (it starts with ether sprayed in the intake).

So, now the head is off etc., I'm thinking of going 2.1L and need your advice before proceeding.

By my reckoning, I need:
    -Head gasket, bolts, timing belt, tensioner, big end bearings
    -83.5mm cylinders (forged in case I go forced induction down the track) + Rings
    -159mm Rods (again forged in case I go forced induction)
    -95.5mm crankshaft

Question - I've found a 95.5mm (EDIT) crankshaft that accepts a 048105189B 60/2 trigger wheel and has the slot to fit the petrol engine timing belt pulley (see below), if I use this can I keep the standard injection and management system (upgrading the later once I've got it running)?

s-l1600-2.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600 (1).jpg

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
  9. cartertronic New Member

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018