DX Engine with a T25 DU Gearbox - Tyre / Wheel size Help

Discussion in 'Wheels and Tyres' started by bmouthboyo, Jul 23, 2016.

1. bmouthboyo Forum Member

Sorry I posted this in the wrong section before so thought I would try again here:

Background
    I am currently restoring on somewhat of a budget a 1983 T25 campervan which had an engine conversion done many years ago by a previous owner. It has taken me a while to workout all its modifications from stock and am now trying to workout what size wheels / tyres would best suit its current setup.

It drives great but just wanted to check with the techies what would be the ideal wheel / tyre setup with my Engine and Gearbox as I will be needing to replace all 4 tyres next year. I am not looking to spend lots on the wheels and was hoping to go with the standard steel rims (5 x 112 pcd 5.5J x 14" ??) I have and possibly alter the type size if need be? However this is all a new area to me and I must admit I am not that clued up on this other than the basics. If it would really make a good difference I would consider after market rims, but nothing too expensive.

Engine: VW Mk1 Gti 1.8 DX K-jet Engine
    [​IMG]

Gearbox: 4 Speed: DU Code
    [​IMG]

Is it possible from this information to workout what tyre size would get the best out of my Engine / Box combo? Or is more info like Dyno readouts needed? Is it simply the final gear which can be altered?

Any advice? :ok