Project full OEM - The 1984 Golf C

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Lukeybabes, Oct 14, 2016.

1. Daytona New Member

Wonderful find.
    Keep it as OEM as you can both from a historic and value point of view, as these Mk2's in that condition are not so easy to find!
    Perhaps would be nice if you took it back to the old guy to show what you have done? as I am sure he loved it too.
    Hope you find dry storage as would be a crime to leave it outside.
    Looks like it has a good new owner!
    Marcus.
    P.S cannot seem to get Icons to go into reply...

2. valvemiester

valvemiester Paid Member Paid Member

The car fire extinguisher fits perfectly on the first aid bracket well in did in my valver years ago unfortunately you just bought a new first aid kit :( That car is looking great nice to see a lower model being saved for a change as it was originally:thumbup:

3. Lukeybabes Forum Member

Yeah I was gonna do that, He's only 5 mins from my house. The old guy had a beetle from new as well and sold that to a guy in 2001 because it had major rust issues. The guy gave him a photo album of all the work that was done on it once he had finished it so that's what I'm planning on doing too. Even though now as much work went into this.

In my old 16v I removed the first aid bracket and fitted the fire extinguisher bracket in its place. I've bought a velcro holder for it now though which keeps it in place nicely. Yeah don't see a lot of lower models in good condition. Well even a few years ago GTIs werent really worth a lot and not worth saving.

Gave the old girl a Christmas eve wash. And finished off cleaning the door jams (happy now borax? lol), boot jam and the bonnet catch. Need to re grease the door and bonnet latches now though but didn't have any to hand.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Fitted the AA relay sticker. Don't know if I like the positioning. But it's one of those stickers thats holds on with static so I could move it.

[​IMG]

And the fire extinguisher is secured.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 24, 2016
    Sirguydo likes this.
  4. Lukeybabes Forum Member

I had the coolant light quick flashing constantly fromt start up at me the last couple of times that I've driven it but it stopped flashing on the way to my Mums for christmas day so that was weird. It's not overheating, the gauge works fine and this car doesn't have a level sender. And I left a massive pool of oil outside of her house. Sorry Mum.

Got under the car today and it turns out there is a tiny hole in the sump. I must have jet washed some grime off that was plugging the hole. Haha. Ah well, new sump on its way and it needed an oil change anyway.

[​IMG]

The top left oil mark is where is leaking from. Quite a fast drip really, I got under the car and wiped the oil off because I couldnt see where it was coming from. Then went out to buy the service bits and it had dripped from there all the way under and a few drips on the ground.

5. Night trucker Paid Member Paid Member

Looks lovely very nice,you don't realise how much work goes into a car that looks standard if you get what I mean

Lukeybabes likes this.
  6. Lukeybabes Forum Member

Sorted the coolant light continuously flashing.
    I had some clocks that I've stolen parts from for other cars so I plugged them into the car as they still had the temp gauge in. And that one worked fine, blinked a few time on ignition and then turns off like it should. So I swapped that gauge into the old clocks as the donor ones were gti one and it still worked. Great!

But then I noticed the faces on them were different. So I had to drill out the rivets holding the faces on and swap them over.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And back together and working as they should

[​IMG]

beetie likes this.
  7. Lukeybabes Forum Member

Found some time to do the sump finally. It needed a service anyway so might as well do them together.

Heres a video of the leak. It was pretty bad.

[video=youtube_share;ofaU_UzdpGw]https://youtu.be/ofaU_UzdpGw[/video]

[​IMG]

Took bloody ages to get the sump off. Had to unbolt the inner CV to get to one of the bolts. Even then it was hard to get access to it. I thought I'd have it done in half an hour.
    Finally got it off and was happy with how clean it was inside. No sludge at all.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

New sump on

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I thought while I was working on it I might as well do the cam belt as it looked a bit old. Not cracked or anything just old. And i didnt know the condition of the water pump. It was all so cheap I just changed it. New thermostat too.

[​IMG]

It actually looked like the water pump was pretty new and a genuine VW part at that. But it was out and had a plastic impeller. So I swapped it for the new one anyway.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So it probably didn't need the cam belt and water pump but I have to work on this car somehow if I can't modify it.

8. baz88icf Forum Member

Top work do like to see ones fully restored to their original condition! Love the reproduction plate as well, was hoping to get some dealer plates made for mine, turns out though I don't know what dealer supplied it. Can only find out it was registered in London (JD plate) even VW UK can't help.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
  9. Lukeybabes Forum Member

Thanks. Maybe the DVLA will be able to tell you which dealer did the paperwork to register it first?

Fairly sure the clutch release bearing just took a **** though

10. vrchrisw New Member

Love this, great story behind it, and that you've retained its original spec and history. Nice one.

11. borax Forum Member

Its looking absolutely fantastic, i can also sleep happy at night now the door jams are clean! :)

Lukeybabes likes this.
  12. Lukeybabes Forum Member

Thanks guys. Managed to spend more money while the forum was down.

Look what I found! :cool:
    Brand new. Paid for it though!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Lukeybabes Forum Member

Got a new top cover for the driver seat as the old one was a bit worn. Probably why the old guy put seat covers on them.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Wet vacumned it while it was out of the car, but I need to do the passenger and rear seats now. They look brown in comparison.

This is just from the driver's seat [xx(]

[​IMG]

Trolling instagram with this picture too :lol:

[​IMG]

14. Lukeybabes Forum Member

More jobs ticked off.

Bought the correct oil cap as it had a later one on it

[​IMG]

Haven't driven it in about a month because of the clutch. The noise wasn't that bad and was tempted on the couple of sunny days to take it out. Good job I didn't though looking at the state of the clutch!
    The bearing seized so the fingers wore a groove in it. The ends of the fingers have been worn away too, and even one of them has broken off! Wouldnt of lasted much longer I'm sure.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The friction disc was pretty much on the rivets too so it needed to be changed. And thanks to whoever it was who told me to get a new release bearing guide sleeve. Sorry I can't remember who it was. It was very worn.
    Part number is 084141181a if anyone needs one. I got it from vw heritage through the classic parts bit.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Did the rear crank oil seal too. I was going to anyway but it looked like it was leaking a little bit.

[​IMG]

Obviously had to clean all the parts too.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I re did the sump gasket too because it was still leaking. Instant gasketed it instead.

Been meaning to do this for a while too. Did front bushes and replaced the lower ball joints, Good job I did as one of them wasn't even attached to the metal sleeve. I had the ball joints from buying the wrong size ones for the other mk2. So I thought I might as well chuck them on.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I couldn't press the larger bushes without a press so had to take them to the garage to get them done.

Not sure what the next job is. I'm sure I will think of something.

15. Lukeybabes Forum Member

Been a while since I've done anything to the red Golf so I decided to strip out the interior and give it a good cleaning. Checked for any hidden rust too while I has the panels etc off and I'm very happy to say there is 0.

Thinking about selling it soon as I just don't use it very often. I'm sure someone will enjoy it more than me.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And I checked the valve lash because I was bored and you are meant to do it as part of routine maintenance. All was in spec.

[​IMG]

beetie likes this.
  16. waj27 Forum Member

Such a clean car, looks brandnew... great thread mate

Lukeybabes likes this.
  17. tom-tom New Member

Such a awesome car,credit to you and the previous owner!!

Lukeybabes likes this.
  18. Lukeybabes Forum Member