Project full OEM - The 1984 Golf C

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Lukeybabes, Oct 14, 2016.

1. Lukeybabes Forum Member

This is going to be a hard one for me not to lower a bit and put nice wheels on it.

It's a 1984 Golf C in mars red. One owner from new, local, completely original, garaged all its life, serviced every year by the same garage, got anything it ever needed, No advisories on its MOT history. Absolutely mint, got the original bill of sale and the factory build sheet with it, No idea what to do with it but I'm chuffed. Got it from an old guy local to me. I asked him about it 2 years ago and left my number. And the other day he called me.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

First I spent a few hours hoovering out the interior. And then removed the seat cover from the front seats and they are in pretty good condition. A little bit of wear but not too bad. No pictures of the clean interior though. And here you can see I have dove head first in with cleaning it. Removed all the trim, not that there was much on there anyway, so I could give the car a good wash and degrease, Then I went over all the paintwork and polished the red back into it. When I was underneath taking the bumper bolts out. It was so nice that they just undid. No rusty bolts on this car

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If I get time with some decent weather tomorrow, I will put some wax on it to protect it. Then clean and back to black all the trim and refit.

Also took the spare wheel that looked like it had only been used once due to a little dirt to the paint mixers. This was the closest match to the paint on the wheels I could find. Although they don't look the same at all in the picture.

[​IMG]

And if anyone knows where I can get some replica dealer plates made up that would be great as the original ones on the car look a bit sorry for themselves.

2. Sirguydo

Sirguydo Fastest milkman in the West Paid Member

Looks good after the polish shame it's RED and not BLUE like you old one lol

Lukeybabes likes this.
  3. mr.brown

mr.brown Paid Member Paid Member

Looks great. Best cover it up though - otherwise it will be Mars Orange by next week lol

4. Lukeybabes Forum Member

Lol I know. On the hunt for some extra storage for it atm.

5. Lukeybabes Forum Member

Waxed the paint and started refitting the trim. Just have to back to black the grill. Need to spruce up the door mirror bases and wiper arms. Then I can tackle the wheels.

Extremely extremely happy with the paint and the plastics.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Front bumper before.

[​IMG]

Just to show how clean this car is, just look at the bumper irons.

[​IMG]

6. Lukeybabes Forum Member

Couple of little jobs got done after work.

Bought paint for the wheels and painted the mirror bases and wiper arms

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cleaned up a refitted the grill

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And I couldnt resist doing a little 5 min photoshop

[​IMG]

notenoughtime and beetie like this.
  7. sports racer Forum Member

That's not too bad for a red one.

So much nicer than that Irish one. :thumbup:

notenoughtime and fasteddie like this.
  8. Sirguydo

Sirguydo Fastest milkman in the West Paid Member

Yes the Irish one isn't anywhere near OE been messed with way to much lol

I like them Blue and original with maybe a few period tweeks such as Oettinger or GTiEngineering .;)lol

Love you long time REDEDDIE [l][l][l][l]

fasteddie likes this.
  9. fasteddie

fasteddie Banned

Tis Not LY3D ;)

Tis very sweet but its orange [:-B]

Up the Paddys [8D]

10. Lukeybabes Forum Member

La3a :thumbup: Definitely orange

Had it MOTed today and I got under it while it was on the ramp. So clean underneath. Its crazy. Zero advisories too. :thumbs:

[​IMG]

Let it meet the race car while I was driving it. lol. Pretty cool picture

[​IMG]

On another note I need a new drivers side door card or a professional trimmer to look at it. It was sagging and I thought I might be able to stick it back down. But the fabric has gone back to its natural flat state so won't go back in the divots easily.

[​IMG]

When I peeled back the edges to glue it I thought it was pretty interesting that the cardboard seems to have been moulded off of a leather door card as you can see the stitching in it.

[​IMG][​IMG]

So I got to this point. Where the door handle part looked pretty good but still lifting in the corners, wasn't until I got to the bottom I noticed the edge of the fabric wouldnt fit over the edge now. And I can't mould it into the door pocket divot at all.

[​IMG]

If it still had its shape it would have been easier. Maybe if it wasn't left saggy for at least 2 years, as that's when I saw it the first time.

So yeah if anyone has a drivers side 3 door door card in this pattern, or a full interior with them, or knows of a trimmer. Let me know.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Lukeybabes Forum Member

Been busy. Whipped the dash out, as when I was driving to the MOT I got a face full of old foam. I feel like I've done this so many times. Very worthwhile though. Took the heater box out to take it apart, clean it out and refoam the flaps.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Wiring hasn't been messed with as I expected. I also reglued the back edge of the dash while it was out. As the ducting for the screen demister always lifts up. Forgot to take a picture of all the clothes pegs holding it while it was gluing. But you can just look at my other threads if you want to see it. lol

Oddly enough a accelerator pedal bush fell out of the heater box while I was taking it out. And when I went to touch the one that was in there it turned to dust. So that was pretty lucky.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also while the speaker screws where easy to get to I had a look at the front speakers, and sure enough they had gone. Too much classical music. I knew I kept the good ones I took out one of my cars for a reason :thumbup:

[​IMG]

Checked the rear ones as they sounded crap too. Don't have any decent ones of these laying around though. Anyone have any? As I have done the unthinkable and put some aftermarket ones in for now. I also bought some speaker cover fabric so I can replace it. Being a bit anal with this one. I just ripped that off on all my other cars.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And the heater box and dash back in, with a few replacement parts. Like the dash surround as the one in there has a snapped mount, and the heater panel as it was faded.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

beetie likes this.
  12. borax Forum Member

what a cracker! BUT clean the door jams

13. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Need to do that on mine, want to come and do it for me?

Lovely clean little car, glad you are preserving her.

14. Lukeybabes Forum Member

Yes yes I will get around to it.

Thanks. Can't be many like this so it deserves it. And no I don't lol

Made up a new door membrane as the original was all shrivelled as usual. Used butyl rope to seal it after cleaning all the old glue off. Great stuff as you can peel it back and re stick if you need to get into the door.

[​IMG]

Took the door card off on the passenger side as I thought it was going to be the same story. But look at that. How is it still like this?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Lukeybabes Forum Member

Got two of the wheels prepped and painted so far. Got to do all that work again now for the other two. Pretty sure i put more effort into these than I did my last set of RS

One prepped

[​IMG]

Masked up

[​IMG]

One in primer and one with a dusting of the silver. Using the heat gun to warm them up before painting.

[​IMG]

And both cleared. Very happy with them

[​IMG]

Especially when you compare it to the ones I am yet to do. And to the spare wheel.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

While the wheels are off I cleaned the arches. Continuously impressed with the condition of this car.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Brought the wheels inside to dry overnight. Will stick them on tomorrow. Can't wait.

16. notenoughtime

notenoughtime Moderator Moderator

Lovely that is!

Lukeybabes likes this.
  17. Lukeybabes Forum Member

[8D]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Break and Sirguydo like this.
  18. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Very pretty.

What foam did you use for the heater. I need to do mine :(

19. Lukeybabes Forum Member

Thanks. It's just sticky back foam. Like kids crafting stuff. Bought a pack of it ages ago. Think I've done 5 cars with it now. Still got loads lol. Oh and some wheather stripping from wickes to seal between the inlet and body, and heater box and vent manifold thing.

20. Lukeybabes Forum Member

Got some new intact rear speakers and my speaker fabric and they actually sound pretty good when I remember to pull the aerial up lol. Fabric looks good too. Haven't used a glue gun in years.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]