Wheel Woes

Discussion in 'Wheels and Tyres' started by jonk710, Nov 4, 2016.

1. jonk710

jonk710 Forum Member

To cut a long story short I got myself a set of Hartge 16" wheels for the Mk2, I'd been after a set for a long time. I got them delivered fully refurbed and looking real nice.

I took them down to the tyre fitting place as i had tyres in the shed and on the last wheel the fitter crushed and broke the centre where the cap clips in on the balancer. I was pretty much told then it was my fault for having old wheels. Instead of getting into an argument, i left and came back on the monday and spoke to the manager who said I'd be looking at a new wheel and to come back when i found one which I did. The wheels are pretty rare so I found a single one at 300 so let the manager know. As I know him pretty well I offered to do the colour match myself to speed up the reimbursment process. He spoke to the owner who said I was getting nothing as the damage must have aready been done but hidden by the powdercoat!

So, I've been to trading standards and will write a letter today to the garage. I feel I have a case, what's your thoughts?
    IMG_6246.jpg
    IMG_6247.jpg

Last edited: Nov 4, 2016
  2. jamesa Forum Junkie

:( I don`t know trading standards` but think that you`ll be lucky to get a complete reimbursement; you have a `case` but how solid it is ... ?

Was only discussing similar last night, where Kwik Fit trashed an AMG wheel and totally denied blame, the owner however had taken a time stamped picture of the wheel prior to the job ... case ongoing.

3. mickey marrows Forum Member

The structure of the aluminium within the broken section has not oxidised therefore it is NOT a pre existing fracture.

The only goodside is that the spigot is not structural and therefore the wheel is useable and would be an easy repair for a competent engineer...

4. K7aus

K7aus Paid Member Paid Member

He must have rammed the clamp in and tightened up to break the seat. I always explain that there newly refurbished and I always watch them if i can. That way you limit the horseplay / distractions you sometime get.

5. The ANT Forum Member

Take em to the cleaners, they've damaged your car, its up to them to pay for their incompetence. They've got some cheek to try and wiggle off the hook.
    the materials age is irrelevant. They are not a perishable component. Its no different if they'd broke the windscreen. Age is irrelevant. Hang them out to dry.

6. jonk710

jonk710 Forum Member

If it was oxidised then there be some darkened areas around the crack, good spot, I never noticed that, thanks, gives me more back up!

Last edited: Nov 5, 2016
  7. jonk710

jonk710 Forum Member

I have the letter all typed up with photos ready to post recorded today. If I don't get any joy withing 7 days then the Trading Standards will take the case on.

8. jamesa Forum Junkie

All the best ...

9. jonk710

jonk710 Forum Member

Through some people I know I have been offered single wheels which is good. Although the 300 one mentioned above was offered to me along with a cracked 200 wheel. I then got an offer of a cracked wheel for 100, same one! Turns out the guy was sourcing wheels and adding a 100 sweetner on to himself!

Someone else has offered a complete wheel for 140 which I'll take, regardless of the letter i've sent so I'll try and claim the 140 back.