Mk2 GTI 16V Oak Green - rebuild

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Greigzy, Nov 7, 2016.

1. Greigzy Forum Member

A couple of updates from Friday/This evening:
    First things first, before the windscreen went in, I took pictures of where the windscreen goes, just to show how good a shell this car is. This was all rust free before paint, and you can see how clean the seams are:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Brand new windscreen and seal ready to fit:
    [​IMG]

And fitted (many thanks to my Dad for the hand):
    [​IMG]

I also bought Pidge's 2.25" Trackslag exhaust. After having a look for one and asking Pidge for his thoughts, it ends up he was selling his, so picked up that:[​IMG]

The quality is fantastic and it was very easy to fit. Unfortunately, I require a reducer/increaser to make it fit the decat, so have ordered and it should be here Wednesday. Got that from eBay, made to my require diameters, with clamps for 10 - can't complain!

[​IMG]

Got the driver's G60 arch refurbed and fitted, and polished the bonnet since I hadn't done this since it was flatted*(small thing but gave me a nice boost!):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lot's still to do, and with my final year of Open Uni starting last week, my time until March is going to be very limited. I'm hoping for at least one more weekend on it before the end of the year. I have also made a big list of parts I require. Hopefully this will be the last list, as I am fed up of spending money on it lol

Sirguydo and beetie like this.
  2. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

I hadn`t clicked on this before but I`m glad I did.

Great restoration and attention to detail. It`s looking fantastic :thumbup:

Greigzy likes this.
  3. Greigzy Forum Member

Thank you sir, that is a great compliment coming from a man such as yourself, with such an fantastic mk2 :)

4. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

This is gorgeous! Keep it up :)

5. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

Loving this! Thanks for the updates!

6. Greigzy Forum Member

Cheers for the comments folks, they mean a lot :)

So this weekend I got a heap of good progress on the mk2! Chuffed! The things I need to fix were - brake lights, fog light, wipers, heated rear screen and heater. They were all surprisingly easy.*

Wipers heated rear screen and heaters were sorted by changing the X-relief relay.

Fog lights were a bit more annoying. The light wasn't illuminating on the switch, so changed the relay and fuse *no change. Changed the switch, no change. It ended up the relay I switched out for was also duff. So I replaced it again with another relay and it worked!

Brake lights - had changed the bulbs with no luck. Went to change the brake switch, and noticed there was no wiring from the switch to the box*. I was going to go to the scrappy on the way home, so in the mean time, started tidying up all my mk2 spares boxes - it ended up I found the missing loom section and the brake lights worked! Yay!

Picture below shows all the dash sections back in, door membranes on and hoovered out:

[​IMG]

Also, to match all the boot carpet, I got the boot carpet section for the rear panel from VW heritage. I think this tidies up the rear a lot. Apologies for the terrible photo, the garage was getting dark.

[​IMG]

The next task was fitting my adaptor for between the exhaust and decat, which was nice and easy. I then went to start it for the first time 'properly.' The car wasn't holding revs and was misfiring badly. After a quick look on ClubGTI it looked liked that it was the ISCV. Having located it and putting my finger over one end, the revs sat nicely at idle. I blocked off the end and then went to start it again!

[video=youtube_share;UbWh6SQQPAc]https://youtu.be/UbWh6SQQPAc[/video]

beetie likes this.
  7. Chtelain New Member

What is this on your dash board ? This is a primer ? How you clean it ?

8. Greigzy Forum Member

I think this was just dried dust from the flatting process. I removed it with APC and then cleaned finished the dash with Auto Finesse Dressle.

For primer, you could remove it with spirit and then wipe clean.

HTH :)

9. Chtelain New Member

thanks for your answer ;)

spirit = white spirit ?

10. Coakers

Coakers Forum Member

Loving the progress here. Looking forward to seeing her on the road. Another saved!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Greigzy likes this.
  11. Greigzy Forum Member

White yeah

12. Greigzy Forum Member

So this update is about 1 month late. Time has been limited with my final open*uni assignments coming up in February and March. I don't have much time to get out the road to see it and the last time I got to work on the mk2 was Christmas eve and boxing day!*I wanted to update this before I forgot everything I have done too!

So first things first, *I*fitted my new mk4 rear callipers (the ones fitted to the car were seized). I managed to get these for 40 for the pair on eBay as it was the last set available.

[​IMG]

Once fitted, I filled up the brake fluid, left the cap off and wedged the brake pedal. The next day, I went back to the car and bled the brakes with an Ezibleed. It was nice and simple and didn't take long at all!*

From there, I adjusted my gear cable linkages (I had got the correct clips from a mk4 golf) following a guide on here. From there, I then out the ezibleed onto the clutch and bled that.

This allowed me the chance to then see if the car moved under its own steam. I was limited with no steering wheel and no cooling system, but it went into first, moved out the garage, into reverse and back in. Super super chuffed!

I had purchased a powder coated front slam panel from Vosswagen on Ebay. He was actually closed over the Christmas break, but he thought I might have wanted to fit it over the Christmas period, and as such, went into his work and sent it on a 24 hour courier so I got it delivered to work.

[​IMG]

Lights fitted and all working (side light, dipped beam, main beam)
    [​IMG]

I couldn't resist putting the grill on for a quick pic:
    [​IMG]

Boxing day entailed me*refitting my sunroof. I was absolutely dreading this. I got a new seal from VW Heritage and fitted that.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And fitted:
    [​IMG]

Thankfully it bolted up ok, and works, which is ace!

So I am almost at MOT/drivability stage for the car:
    1. Passenger roof gutter - I need one. Ends up the pair I purchased in Forfar 2 weeks ago were for a mk3, advertised as a mk2. The seller kindly refunded me
    2. Fit timing belt and water pump - Kris will fit this as I don't want to muck it up
    3. Fit radiator and fan - collect from someone on local forum.
    4. Horn wiring - missing the loom - purchased
    5. Fit front seats - someone on my local forum kindly has reduced the seat frame width from 21" to 19" - just need to test fit them
    6. Fit power steering hoses - new ones ordered
    7. Fit front end up - I think I have everything for this - new clips, bolts etc.
    8. Refurb wheels - will be done when mot'd
    9. Probably redo the headlining - over the past month or so it has started sagging with the cold. Pain in the **** that I have started refitting the interior.

I have probably missed a few things from the thread and a few things from the things to do. Plan is to get a weekend on the car inbetween coursework for Feb and March. And then finish the car over March with MOT in April. We'll see what happens though :).

Sirguydo likes this.
  13. Greigzy Forum Member

So I ended up having a Friday afternoon off yesterdays because I brought cakes into work (works on rotation for everyone in the workplace - it's ace*).

I popped out to drop some more stuff I bought off and spend about 4 hours on the car.

Freshly painted bumper iron on:
    [​IMG]

Tidied up the GTI side badges - sprayed them satin black and fitted some vinyl decals from eBay (really didn't want to spend 20+ on new ones)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

A guy on the local forum sorted the seats by making the runners 2" narrower. He did a beautiful job and you can hardly tell that the bases have been modified. That meant front seats in too:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also prepped and texture painted the front bumper, so got that on - apologies it was getting dark. It still needs a little fettling too:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And then just because I couldn't resist - i place the grill on for a quick photo:
    [​IMG]

Sirguydo likes this.
  14. oldnick

oldnick Paid Member Paid Member

Nice to see another Oak Green, I might get started on mine one day...

How was the bumper paint to use? The result looks good, I've got some Heritage bumpers with awful moulding marks on them, I'm hoping that rubber texture paint will cover my attempts to smooth them off.

15. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

Liking a lot,:thumbup:

Greigzy likes this.
  16. Greigzy Forum Member

Not too bad tbh. My bumpers were smoothed and painted prior to doing this. Used 320 grit sandpaper and then red scotch and painted from there. 2/3 light coats seem to do the trick. It dries pretty quick too.

oldnick likes this.
  17. vwg123 Forum Member

Loving the build mate, what did you do about the rust spot on the passenger wing under the scuttle?

Where is your painter based?

18. Greigzy Forum Member

I cut the section out and welded in a new piece.

Painter is based in Aberdeen. I'm unsure if you are up this way, but feel free to message me for more information.

19. Greigzy Forum Member

So last weekend, I popped over to see Peter and get some bits and bobs - a passenger roof gutter, a radio, a new grill (red stripe was better than mine) and a couple of bits of loom I required.

[​IMG]

That weekend, I managed to get the roof gutter on, as well as the the side skirts - after sanding them back and retexturing them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also got my new steering wheel on, it's a BBS replica, but seems good quality. I do fancy getting the fake carbon done in real carbon.

[​IMG]

I then nipped down to Forfar to pick up the wheels. The are Compomotive M05, 5x100, 17x7.5 et35. They require a refurb, but the price was good.

This weekend past I sorted the front bumper alignment and ordered new wedges to allow me to fit it correctly. I then fitted new track rod ends, which was the final piece of the chassis that required replacement. I then raise the front end a little more to fit the new wheels.

This allowed me to drive the car out the garage. From doing an MOT check online, the car has never been mot'd since the online system. I imagine its the first time the car has driven under its own steam in around 12-14 years. This allowed me to give it a quick wash - it seems needs a proper detail, and I'm considering carrying out ceramic coating while the paint is so fresh.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And as many of you have seen on fb, a wee collage of before and as it currently stands:

[​IMG]

The wheels need refurbed, unsure whether to go the same grey, a lighter grey or silver - thoughts?

Finally, thanks to Greg for doing the paint (it really does make you realise how good it is when its outside), Andrew for giving a hand when required, and my Dad for occasional assistance when required too. It's almost there!

Coakers, Coldforged and cupracraig like this.
  20. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Looking awesome!

I think I'd go for a dark grey on the wheels myself.

Greigzy likes this.